• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spurs' Kawhi Leonard wins NBA Defensive Player of Year Award

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kawhi's a great player and defender, but he missed 18 games this year. Draymond Green was the key defender of the best defensive team in the league and got the most 1st place votes. So, yes, Draymond Green should have won over Kawhi Leonard this year.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Draymond Green was the key defender of the best defensive team in the league

SPURS finished 3rd in points allowed and 2nd in defensive efficiency
WARRIORS finished 15th in points allowed and 1st in defensive efficiency

It wasn't like the Warriors were some clearly Dominant Defensive team and the Spurs were ordinary.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have gone Draymond, but they are pretty much neck and neck stats-wise and Green wasn't out for a stretch. I've got no objection with Kawhi winning it, he is a great defender.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It wasn't like the Warriors were some clearly Dominant Defensive team and the Spurs were ordinary.

Actually
Spurs were 3rd in defensive efficiency lol but well deserved

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if you line up the defensive stats it is pretty much a dead heat.

My only concern is that the already sky-high asking price for K-Leonard now is going to cost a fortune.

Both are restricted, so neither team willl lose their guy.

But, it probably helps the Warriors keep Draymonds price down.

Probably a blessing in disguise for Ws fans...and an extra salary cap hit for SA.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My only concern is that the already sky-high asking price for K-Leonard now is going to cost a fortune.

Probably a blessing in disguise for Ws fans...and an extra salary cap hit for SA.
I doubt it will keep Draymond's price down.
Hell, I want the Pistons to make him an offer to bring him to Detroit, especially since Monroe is likely to walk.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Points allowed isn't a good metric to base a team's defense off of. There are numerous factors including pace of play. The Warriors pace allows for many more offensive possessions by the opponents every game, versus, say Memphis. Warriors were amazing defensively this year.

No complains on Kawhi. He's a dominant defensive player. Wouldn't be surprised if he wins multiple DPOY from here on out.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i love this kids game.

69er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

PA mean nothing when Spurs and Ws pace are night and day. Im not denying Kawhis impact. But could he defend AD the way Green is? Hell, Greens numbers would probably look 10x better if he just played perimeter D.

But Draymond legit defended 1-5 throughout the season. When Bogut and the backup C were out, he played the 5.

Man, if Dray had a choice to defend the perimeter, he would shut down things real quick, like how he always does.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This award really doesn't have any factor in either player's market value. Kawhi was already going to get a Max offer. Draymond will be getting similar money. I would think teams are smarter than to just base their offers off of an end of season award. If they don't know either player's value by now, they shouldn't have their respective jobs.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't much stake in these type of awards. noah got it last yr and nene picked him apart in the playoffs.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This award really doesn't have any factor in either player's market value. Kawhi was already going to get a Max offer. Draymond will be getting similar money. I would think teams are smarter than to just base their offers off of an end of season award. If they don't know either player's value by now, they shouldn't have their respective jobs.

im a huge draymond fan but there is no way id give him max money. he fits the warriors team perfectly. put him on the knicks and how many more wins do they get? a few but nothing crazy

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im a huge draymond fan but there is no way id give him max money. he fits the warriors team perfectly. put him on the knicks and how many more wins do they get? a few but nothing crazy

Max deal won't be offered by the Warriors, but there will be teams that will throw max money at him and Warriors will likely have to match. If he's worth 13M to you, and a team offers 16M, do the Warriors not match? Of course they do.

Also Max is not really a Max contract considering the expected hikes in NBA Salary cap.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Draymond deserved it more than Kawhi. Kawhi missed several games. His defense was much better after coming back from the injury. Draymond got it done all season long.

Doc must be fuming this morning :mad2: :lol:

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Exactly he isn't a max player and isn't giving you a lot more wins on another roster.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were close. Felt like Green should have got it since he played more games. But it said Green got more 1st place votes and still lost. I'm curious to see people's ballots because that likely means people had Green at #3 or even left off the ballot. Those people shouldn't be allowed to vote anymore

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
K-Leonard however is a max player.

Kawhi has the added weight of being the team's leading scorer and best offensive player.
He is only age 23, so the ceiling is immense still on both offense and defense.

He still needs to develop his post-up game. It is stil a season away. He is very quiet and introverted.
He has a full arsenal but I think he is too shy right now to be a ball hogging alpha post-up guy.

After Pop screamed at him to stop waiting for a ball and demand the post, he started doing it which coincided with the 21-4 finish run.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly he isn't a max player and isn't giving you a lot more wins on another roster.
I don't know if I would go quite max, but he would make a huge difference on the Pistons. He really is just what they need, especially with Monroe likely gone. Sign Draymond and draft Stanley Johnson.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Green & Leonard are both getting max contracts this summer anyways regardless of this award.

Their max is only around 15 mil per year since they haven't been in the league long. That price is pretty fair, especially for Leonard. If they didn't have years played limits and actually let the market decide, Green would probably get around 15 mil. Leonard could probably get close to 20, which is what the true max level is hovering around right now