• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spurs assistant coach Becky Hammon

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mens and women's basketball are actually quite different.
Elaborate?

Do women get to take an extra step?

Do they play 7 on 7?

The only thing that you could say is different is that the women are more fundamentally sound.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elaborate?

Do they play 7 on 7?

The only thing that you could say is different is that the women are more fundamentally sound.

you mean besides different size ball, different semi circle, different 3pt line distances, and zero vertical game (again I referenced the Capela/Rockets article previously in this thread). There's an entire dimension of the NBA game that she is clueless about.

Maybe you can fix that with a good NBA assistant. But let's not act like she's the perfect candidate. Again, she's #3 on the list of spurs assistants for HC spots.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mens and women's basketball are actually quite different.

Different because men are far superior athletically.

To my point earlier, Popovich wasn't a good enough athlete to play in the NBA either. Does that prohibit him from being a great coach? Of course it doesn't. How good someone was as a player has little bearing on their ability to coach. What matters is knowledge and ability to communicate and get players to buy in.

Becky Hammon has the knowledge for sure. I don't know about the other piece.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you mean besides different size ball, different semi circle, different 3pt line distances, and zero vertical game (again I referenced the Capela/Rockets article previously in this thread). There's an entire dimension of the NBA game that she is clueless about.

Maybe you can fix that with a good NBA assistant. But let's not act like she's the perfect candidate. Again, she's #3 on the list of spurs assistants for HC spots.

Again,

You assume she is clueless about verticality of the game because she can't play that way. Could Popovich? I doubt it.

The game has changed a lot over the last 30 years when most current coaches were playing. Yet, they adapt because they are intelligent people. Just like Becky Hammon would.

Different size ball and 3 point line? Seriously? Do you really think that would have any impact whatsoever on her ability to coach? I think she is intelligent enough to use a 29.5 ball during practice.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again,

You assume she is clueless about verticality of the game because she can't play that way. Could Popovich? I doubt it.

The game has changed a lot over the last 30 years when most current coaches were playing. Yet, they adapt because they are intelligent people. Just like Becky Hammon would.

Different size ball and 3 point line? Seriously? Do you really think that would have any impact whatsoever on her ability to coach? I think she is intelligent enough to use a 29.5 ball during practice.

you think a softball coach could waltz their way and coach in the big leagues?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you think a softball coach could waltz their way and coach in the big leagues?

If they spent 5 years as an MLB bench coach prior, yes I do.

But, softball and baseball are infinitely more different than men's and women's basketball. Terrible analogy.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But, softball and baseball are infinitely more different than men's and women's basketball. Terrible analogy.

Factual analogy.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You are moving the goal post here.

Every post that I've made stated she wouldn't, or shouldn't, get the job.

The issue I have is with you stating she isn't qualified because she played with a bigger ball and shorter 3 point line.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maybe someone should have told David Blatt that he isn't qualified to coach overseas because Fiba and NCAA rules differ slightly.

I mean, there is no way possible he could learn the intricacies and nuances of International basketball if he didn't play it.

Ditto for Igor Koskasov who just got hired in Phoenix.

Ettore Messina should get 86'd from the Bucks interview list as well.

Sounds Retarded, huh?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brad Stevens > Jason Kidd

Gregg Popovich > Byron Scott

Pat Summit > Earl Watson

Exceptions to every rule.
Sure.

I'd rather have LeBron running my team over pretty much everyone but Pop. No offense to Brad or Quin Snyder.

Pat Summit coached what she played though. And got the Lady Vol job the season after her college playing career ended. Zero coaching expierience.

black francis

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So a woman can't adapt to coach mens basketball but a man can adapt to coach womens?

Yeah makes sense. :rolleyes2:

it's the easier game. of course the man can adapt, and probably add a little more skill to the game

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If she can do the job she should be given the chance, will be interesting to see if she gets it or not.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Becky Hammon is as qualified as any other NBA assistant coach to become a head coach. Anyone arguing the difference of the game of basketball between men's and women's is completely oblivious to the fact that there are many successful coaches who were never good or NBA quality players. That is not a prerequisite for the job.

The only thing I will agree with some is that even as much as we would like to immediately accept Hammon as a Woman Head Coach, the fact remains is that she needs the right organization to be able to support her. There will be some challenges that come along. Yes she'll come with a high pedigree and she'll also have other assistants to help her, but you need the 110% backing of your ownership and front office to help handle everything.

Coaches and players get into yelling spats with each other, we just don't hear about them all. She's going to have to chew out the players, and they're going to have to learn to be able to deal with it. It's much different coaching a summer league team when guys need that opportunity to get their spot in the NBA versus yelling at veterans on guaranteed contracts.

Unfortunately just because we want to believe the players will be accepting of her immediately (and I believe most will), you have to consider the alternative too as possible. That's why she'll need the backing 110% from ownership to let her not only coach the team as she see's fit, but be able to discipline and or suggest personnel changes based on what is going on in the locker room.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly didn't know there were any female assistant coaches.....not sure if she'll get it but just landing an interview is huge.

She actually turned down the head coaching position of the mens team at Colorado (Might have been Colorado State)

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elaborate?

Do they play 7 on 7?

During practice you can't play shirts vs skins in the womens game so there's that