• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring Training 2021

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of note today - Micker Adolfo - who looks in top physical condition - got an RBI single (interestingly DHed while Nck Williams played RF). Louis Robert got a double that landed over the head of the LF and got an rbi.

The most interesting play was a line drive from an Angels hitter that bounced off the batter's helmet of the Angel's runner going from 1st to 2nd. The hit on the head Angel appeared to be physically okay.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of note today - Micker Adolfo - who looks in top physical condition - got an RBI single (interestingly DHed while Nck Williams played RF). Louis Robert got a double that landed over the head of the LF and got an rbi.

The most interesting play was a line drive from an Angels hitter that bounced off the batter's helmet of the Angel's runner going from 1st to 2nd. The hit on the head Angel appeared to be physically okay.
Adolfo is considered to have the strongest arm in the entire organization and one of the strongest in all of baseball, altho the TJ surgery he had a couple of years back was on his throwing arm. So it remains to be seen if the arm has returned to 100% full strength.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The article I'm linking below is already 3 days old, but it's the first I've read that specifically states both Crochet and Kopech will begin the season with the parent club, and by no more a solid source than Tony himself. Both will start out in the pen. Wow, scary thought having these two hurling fireballs at opposing bats on a semi-regular basis.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, with Kopech apparently getting the green light to go north with the club to begin the '21 season, I'm wondering now who, if anyone, is out - at least from my original predicted BP from another thread before ST got under way, which was:

CL - Lance Hendriks (R)
SU1 - Aaron Bummer (L)
SU2 - Even Marshall (R)
SU3 - Matt Foster (R)
SU4 - Jace Fry (L)
SU5 - Codi Heuer (R)
LR1 - Garrett Crochet (L)
LR2 - Reynaldo Lopez (R)

That's only 8 names above and we're really talking only 7 when we consider that Fry won't appear until early May at best. Plus there's also the strong possibility that the Sox will carry 9 relievers to start the season. So if we go with 8, simply substitute Fry with Kopech. If we go 9, I'm still leaning toward Cordero having the edge there, unless someone in the next few weeks really kills it. The hard part with this is being most clubs are playing only 5-7 innings tops in these games. It will be that much more difficult for someone not currently on management's radar getting opportunities to impress.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, with Kopech apparently getting the green light to go north with the club to begin the '21 season, I'm wondering now who, if anyone, is out - at least from my original predicted BP from another thread before ST got under way, which was:

CL - Lance Hendriks (R)
SU1 - Aaron Bummer (L)
SU2 - Even Marshall (R)
SU3 - Matt Foster (R)
SU4 - Jace Fry (L)
SU5 - Codi Heuer (R)
LR1 - Garrett Crochet (L)
LR2 - Reynaldo Lopez (R)

That's only 8 names above and we're really talking only 7 when we consider that Fry won't appear until early May at best. Plus there's also the strong possibility that the Sox will carry 9 relievers to start the season. So if we go with 8, simply substitute Fry with Kopech. If we go 9, I'm still leaning toward Cordero having the edge there, unless someone in the next few weeks really kills it. The hard part with this is being most clubs are playing only 5-7 innings tops in these games. It will be that much more difficult for someone not currently on management's radar getting opportunities to impress.
Reynaldo Lopez has an club option left - he will be in AAA and not on the roster - my prediction.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reynaldo Lopez has an club option left - he will be in AAA and not on the roster - my prediction.

We can only hope. Not sure what our fetish is with this dude...

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can only hope. Not sure what our fetish is with this dude...
I've always wanted to see how he can do out of the pen. His MO over the past couple of years has been to come out strong for a few innings before collapsing. Not every start of course, but a decent percentage of them. We've actually discussed this here on the board about how he might handle being a long reliever.

Of course OTOH, if he was to be sent down, traded, or simply released, then fuck it. It's not like he was never given a fair shot.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always wanted to see how he can do out of the pen. His MO over the past couple of years has been to come out strong for a few innings before collapsing. Not every start of course, but a decent percentage of them. We've actually discussed this here on the board about how he might handle being a long reliever.

Of course OTOH, if he was to be sent down, traded, or simply released, then fuck it. It's not like he was never given a fair shot.
It seems to me - that among Kopech, Crochet and Lopez - you can't have all three potential starters in the bullpen. In the case of Kopech and Crochet - they will not be ready to spot start a game for some time due to the fact - that between them the last two years they thrown under 20 innings in MLB work.

I agree Lopez makes sense in the bullpen based on how long he can keep it together during a start in the past, but if he is sent to AAA he has a chance to get called up for injury relief into the starter group. We can only hope the the new pitching coach Katz has worked some amount of magic with Lopez and his delivery/consistency.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When your team's top hitter and top pitcher say you're ready for the bigs:

Yeah, I'd call those a couple of key endorsements.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@idseer called this one right. So for his future prognostications - the pressure is on. Vaughn looks like he will take a walk and slam a Homer - what more would anyone want from a DH? Go Sox!

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@idseer called this one right. So for his future prognostications - the pressure is on. Vaughn looks like he will take a walk and slam a Homer - what more would anyone want from a DH? Go Sox!
Yes, I'm always happy to give credit where credit is due, especially when it's for good reasons. Iddy was from the getgo and remains behind Vaughn 100%. I know I haven't shared that same enthusiasm - well, at least not for the short term. Long term of course. But I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons, so let's go Vaughnmeister!!!!

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a really nice breakdown of the '21 bullpen and who looks to open the season with the team:

Some thoughts on this article:

1. As good as our offense should be, as dependable of a 1-2-3 rotation trio we may have, the BP to me is without question the major strength of this roster.
2. The going thought here is the Sox will break camp with 13 pitchers. I still wouldn't rule out 14 tho.
3. It reiterates once again that both Kopech and Crochet will go north with the club when ST breaks.
4. Unless Lopez falls flat on his face in the next few weeks, it does sound like the Sox intend to see how he performs out of the pen, at least for a while that is.
5. Names we thought early in the offseason who might have had at least an outside shot at making the team - Burdi, Lambert, Johnson, Flores, Jr, Medeiros - seem destined for AA or AAA after camp.
6. I don't recall Cordero having to begin the '21 campaign on suspension. For what reason and how long? Inquiring minds want to know.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a really nice breakdown of the '21 bullpen and who looks to open the season with the team:

1. As good as our offense should be, as dependable of a 1-2-3 rotation trio we may have, the BP to me is without question the major strength of this roster.
2. The going thought here is the Sox will break camp with 13 pitchers. I still wouldn't rule out 14 tho.
3. It reiterates once again that both Kopech and Crochet will go north with the club when ST breaks.
4. Unless Lopez falls flat on his face in the next few weeks, it does sound like the Sox intend to see how he performs out of the pen, at least for a while that is.
5. Names we thought early in the offseason who might have had at least an outside shot at making the team - Burdi, Lambert, Johnson, Flores, Jr, Medeiros - seem destined for AA or AAA after camp.
6. I don't recall Cordero having to begin the '21 campaign on suspension. For what reason and how long? Inquiring minds want to know.
White Sox Reliever Jimmy Cordero Suspended 3 Games For Hitting Cubs’ Willson Contreras With Pitch; Manager Rick Renteria Suspended One Game – CBS Chicago (cbslocal.com)

Ahh - all he did was hit a Cubbie with a pitch. He should get a medal. ;)

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes - Lopez does appear to be ticketed to Chicago with the team. I think TLR wants every bullet available if he is supposed to lead the White Sox to a championship. Corderro's suspension won't be for long though.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jonathan Lucroy could not have received a better endorsement, at least early on for sticking with the club:

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jonathan Lucroy could not have received a better endorsement, at least early on for sticking with the club:

I chuckled when I read that - thinking Giolito will say anything not to have to be stuck with Grandal catching him. Seriously, Giolito is such positive guy - he wouldn't think of saying anything but positive stuff about a teammate.

I do like Lucroy - though. If he returns to his pre-neck problem form - he will deliver McCann like stats.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I chuckled when I read that - thinking Giolito will say anything not to have to be stuck with Grandal catching him. Seriously, Giolito is such positive guy - he wouldn't think of saying anything but positive stuff about a teammate.

I do like Lucroy - though. If he returns to his pre-neck problem form - he will deliver McCann like stats.
Honestly, I'd settle for really good defense and game calling. Offense would simply be a bonus.

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like we have enough "Spring Training 2021" threads.... :pound:

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw where Giolito was quoted a few days ago that he hasn't been approached about a contract extension. So enjoy him while you can - Jerry doesn't figure to pay $400 million over 10 years for a pitcher.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just as Giolito the other day made a pitch for Lucroy to make the squad, looks like Keuchel is doing likewise for Lambert.

Doubt there's much of a chance he makes it out of ST, but if he does well at the alternative site/AAA ball, he could be one of the earliest call ups. Of course the key for Jimmy is to stay healthy. The kid has had terrible luck with that.