• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring Training 2021

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess it's time to retire the '20-'21 Offseason thread now that ST is up on us. To get this new thread kickstarted, here's an article with an interview of our staff ace. You can tell he's amped.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess it's time to retire the '20-'21 Offseason thread now that ST is up on us. To get this new thread kickstarted, here's an article with an interview of our staff ace. You can tell he's amped.

as are we all.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are some Q&A's for Spring Training and the coming start of the regular season:

I think the most intriguing one is:

Who are some prospects to keep an eye on in camp?
Seven of the top 10 and 13 of the top 20 White Sox prospects, per MLB Pipeline, will be in big league camp. Andrew Vaughn (No. 1), Michael Kopech (No. 2), Nick Madrigal (No. 3) and Garrett Crochet (No. 4) will play important parts in the team’s 2021 success, but Gavin Sheets (No. 9), Jake Burger (No. 13) and Jimmy Lambert (No. 14) could also contribute.
Sheets will be playing first base and the outfield, after adding the latter position to his repertoire during the instructional league. Lambert was very impressive during Summer Camp and at the start of last season before suffering a right forearm strain and not pitching after July 28, but he will enter Spring Training healthy. And Burger’s impressive comeback from two left Achilles ruptures will take another major step with his first real game action since 2017.

“He’s on a mission, he really is,” said White Sox assistant general manager/player development Chris Getz of Burger. “He’s worked past the injuries and what comes with being away from playing competitively.”

I see no mention of this past draft's 2nd round steal Jared Kelley, but I assume he's in camp, along with other youngins Matthew Thompson and Andrew Dalquist. I intend to follow their progress as well.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard a long interview with Lucas Giolito. Here are some of the things he remarked about:

1) The 1st week of Spring Training was incredibly and minutely planned -as pitchers moved from fielding bunts to holding running on base along with other pitching drills.

2) Aaron Bummer's sinker ball pitch - the filthyest pitch in baseball - no one has a pitch Bummer's pitch does.

3) Giolito is working on his own sinker ball - to compliment his high rising fastball.

4) Madrigal and Eaton are the kind of batters that he hates to face - because they get the bat on the ball and beat you with flares.

5) He misses his friend McCann, but Grandal has put in a lot of work to learn how to best work with Giolito as a catcher. Mentioning that Grandal has really gotten ready to show him the mitt target they way Giolito likes it.

6) If the Sox don't play in the world series - he will be disappointed.

7) Kopech's pitching - is hitting 97 - 98 mph - in the easy throwing no mound pitching drills - while Giolito is in the low 90s.

Giolito is really a good interview -- all thoughtful responses.

Last edited:

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard a long interview with Lucas Giolito. Here are some of the things he remarked about:

1) The 1st week of Spring Training was incredibly and minutely planned -as pitchers moved from fielding bunts to holding running on base along with other pitching drills.

2) Aaron Bummer's sinker ball pitch - the filthyest pitch in baseball - no one has a pitch Bummer's pitch does.

3) Giolito is working on his own sinker ball - to compliment his high rising fastball.

4) Madrigal and Eaton are the kind of batters that he hates to face - because they get the bat on the ball and beat you with flares.

5) He misses his friend McCann, but Grandal has put in a lot of work to learn how to best work with Giolito as a catcher. Mentioning that Grandal has really gotten ready to show him the mitt target they way Giolito likes it.

6) If the Sox don't play in the world series - he will be disappointed.

7) Kopech's pitching - is hitting 97 - 98 mph - in the easy throwing no mound pitching drills - while Giolito is in the low 90s.

Giolito is really a good interview -- all thoughtful responses.
was that live like radio or tv, or do you have a link to it?

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
was that live like radio or tv, or do you have a link to it?

Podcast @idseer if you hit the link shown here - it is the top podcast shown with a short description

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
White Sox reaffirm Eloy Jiménez as left fielder as defense remains a topic | RSN (nbcsports.com)

I'm looking forward to Tony La Russa getting involved in Eloy's outfield defense. Eloy and run and catch a ball, but he seems to have no idea how to play a ball near or off the wall, near LF sideline stands (and netting). I have to think these things are fixable with practice.

La Russa was quoted the other day referring to the Guaranteed Rate Field as Comisky Park, but walls and sidelines are walls and sidelines whatever you call the place.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
White Sox reaffirm Eloy Jiménez as left fielder as defense remains a topic | RSN (nbcsports.com)

I'm looking forward to Tony La Russa getting involved in Eloy's outfield defense. Eloy and run and catch a ball, but he seems to have no idea how to play a ball near or off the wall, near LF sideline stands (and netting). I have to think these things are fixable with practice.

La Russa was quoted the other day referring to the Guaranteed Rate Field as Comisky Park, but walls and sidelines are walls and sidelines whatever you call the place.
i've always believed fielding is mostly instinct, especially the simpler positions. i don't think eloy will ever be a "decent" fielder.

and personally i refuse to call the park its current ridiculous name. always been and always will be comiskey park to me

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i've always believed fielding is mostly instinct, especially the simpler positions. i don't think eloy will ever be a "decent" fielder.

and personally i refuse to call the park its current ridiculous name. always been and always will be comiskey park to me
I think the opposite - Hitting is instinct - fielding is practice. I agree with you on the BS of commercial ballpark names.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It is Comiskey Park...Never heard of that other Guaranteed Rate place.

Also, Comiskey...with an E. For the love of all midgets, how did you blow that one? Sus imo. Prob Cubs fan. The Broncos thing was always questionable.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is Comiskey Park...Never heard of that other Guaranteed Rate place.

Also, Comiskey...with an E. For the love of all midgets, how did you blow that one? Sus imo. Prob Cubs fan. The Broncos thing was always questionable.
Drat - I've been outed! I am, however, a "virgin" White Sox fan having never lived in, or near Chicago - which may be the "key" to this mystery.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drat - I've been outed! I am, however, a "virgin" White Sox fan having never lived in, or near Chicago - which may be the "key" to this mystery.

You ever been to the Windy City? Or ComisKEY?

oldmaninthedesert702

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the opposite - Hitting is instinct - fielding is practice. I agree with you on the BS of commercial ballpark names.
no, playing in the infield is about hand-eye coordination, and good fundamentals, all the practice in the world will not help, if your fundamentals are not sound. I played SS up through 3 years of college before I blew out my knee in a collision with our LF. I had the major league glove, but could not hit an offspeed pitch. Anyhow that's my 2 cents, love the game, good luck this year with the Pale Hose

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You ever been to the Windy City? Or ComisKEY?
Yes - I've been to Chicago - and I was at the new Comiskey - where I saw Bo Jackson hit his HR on returning from injury. I've seen 4 White Sox games in Chicago - never at the old Comiskey. I've seen the White Sox in Anaheim - Detroit and at Camelback Ranch.

My only time at Wrigley the birds crapped on me from the rafters.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no, playing in the infield is about hand-eye coordination, and good fundamentals, all the practice in the world will not help, if your fundamentals are not sound. I played SS up through 3 years of college before I blew out my knee in a collision with our LF. I had the major league glove, but could not hit an offspeed pitch. Anyhow that's my 2 cents, love the game, good luck this year with the Pale Hose
Thanks - where I grew up in the game - as a catcher and 1st baseman - the fundamentals come from practice. But, what I call practice is really repetition that builds confidence.

What Eloy JImenez needs is repetition on catching balls near the wall - he has no sense how many steps he has on the warning track before he hits wall. He has no idea how the ball will carom off the wall - same issue on the sidelines. IMO - that calls for repetition to build confidence. He has no problem tracking the ball - getting jumps on fly balls or line drives. He has no problem closing his glove on the ball and he is probably better than average throwing the ball in (he throws to the correct base and can throw without relay to home).

He plays the outfield like someone who only practices shagging flies off a fungo.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes - I've been to Chicago - and I was at the new Comiskey - where I saw Bo Jackson hit his HR on returning from injury. I've seen 4 White Sox games in Chicago - never at the old Comiskey. I've seen the White Sox in Anaheim - Detroit and at Camelback Ranch.

My only time at Wrigley the birds crapped on me from the rafters.
I forgot - I've seen the Sox twice in Arlington and twice in Houston.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious Mingo, being that you never lived in or near Chicago, what made you become a White Sox fan? Most non-Chicago, Chicago fans usually go with the trendy, stinking Cubs, because they're so "adorable". Fuck the Cubs.

oldmaninthedesert702

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks - where I grew up in the game - as a catcher and 1st baseman - the fundamentals come from practice. But, what I call practice is really repetition that builds confidence.

What Eloy JImenez needs is repetition on catching balls near the wall - he has no sense how many steps he has on the warning track before he hits wall. He has no idea how the ball will carom off the wall - same issue on the sidelines. IMO - that calls for repetition to build confidence. He has no problem tracking the ball - getting jumps on fly balls or line drives. He has no problem closing his glove on the ball and he is probably better than average throwing the ball in (he throws to the correct base and can throw without relay to home).

He plays the outfield like someone who only practices shagging flies off a fungo.
I grew up near Boston and seen a lot of LF look bad playing that wall, takes time to learn a park's nooks and crannies, I think a lot of what we see with these young players comes from being pampered by these teams, Christ the C.G. is going the way of the dinosaur. When I first started betting baseball back in the 70's for the most part, you could do well just betting the pitcher, not anymore, this bullpen thing is so out of control, it's ruining the game in my opinion.