• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring Training 2012

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do like to see the kids do well. They are facing true MLB pitching.

I think that you have a misunderstanding of the first few weeks of spring training. Any schmo could be throwing to the guys. For example, today in the G-Rox game, the Giants faced (among others) :

J Moyer (yes, 49 year old Jamie Moyer who didn't pitch in the majors last year)
R Brothers (23 y.o. relief pitcher with < 1 year MLB experience)
E Rodgers (yes, he of the magnificent 1.892 WHIP last year)
Stephen Dodson (yes, the kid with no MLB experience who pitched in AA last year)

And that's probably better than most teams toss out the first couple of weeks of ST.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that you have a misunderstanding of the first few weeks of spring training. Any schmo could be throwing to the guys. For example, today in the G-Rox game, the Giants faced (among others) :

Stephen Dodson (yes, the kid with no MLB experience who pitched in AA last year)

And that's probably better than most teams toss out the first couple of weeks of ST.

A fair point. Good for Moyer though. Is he trying to pitch in the majors again this year for the Rox?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oh defiantly, I know they aren't facing the Chacin's the entire game, or the Kennedy's or such. But it's still pitching at a higher level than they have ever seen, better offspeed pitches in particular. By the end of the game, teams dig deep yes, but some of our young guys have been playing early thus far, seeing ML pitchers.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Posey and Franchez to make debuts tomorrow. Cain on the mound.

Also, Brett Pill in LF today

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We should learn a thing or two about Posey tomorrow. I'll be watching to see how he moves around behind the plate; especially how he comes out of his squat to throw or field a ball.

Oh good, you'll be watching. I hope someone with the organization watches too.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It'll be interesting to watch. Gotta run. My network people here at work keep knocking me off this site. Every time I try to post they block me.

:L

Just stop.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahem...you will notice the new avatar.

It's true, I stalked Susac and am his #1 fanboi. So, before Peoria police show up and take me off to jail pending the TRO hearing, here are my observations from today's game:

1. Bum was HUMMING the ball in today. He made the Padres look like little kids swinging in vain at fastballs they couldn't catch up to. 3 very impressive innings.
2. Kown got tagged for two loooong bombs in his two innings. Otherwise, he pitched effectively.
3. The rest of the bullpen (Affledt, Hensley, Romo, Otero) was lights out. Romo especially looked in midseason form.
4. Gillaspie looks like he knows what he's doing in the batters box, but isn't as sure handed as I remember him being on defense.
5. We ran often today, several times to good effect. The ump at 2b, IMO, blew about three calls (twice I thought a runner was safe and once out). The Belt CS was a strange play -- he seemed to pull up 2/3 of the way to second. Also, Whitey's steal was odd -- it looked like both Padre middle infielders expected the other to cover second. Overall, there are a TON of very fast runners in camp.
6. Dominguez is a beast. I don't know if he's ever going to be a productive ML hitter, but he is as big as an ox and when he hits a ball, it STAYS hit.
7. Only one regular in the lineup today (Pagan) and that fucker is FAST.
8. Not only did Susac sign a ball for me (he was shocked that I knew who he was) but he called a good couple of innings. He made the 27th out for the Giants on a check swing K, so there's improvement to do.

I think we're going to the Giants game tomorrow. If so, I will report back on Posey and Franchez.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Repped for lowering my anxiety level for when my wife or daughter sees my screen.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
{...}
4. Gillaspie looks like he knows what he's doing in the batters box, but isn't as sure handed as I remember him being on defense.

That's an interesting comment.A couple of years ago when he spent the season in SJ, we used to joke that he must be either allergic to, or just afraid of, dirt. It seemed that he NEVER dove for balls or made an effort to get to balls that *might* be in his range. Of the 20-odd games I saw him play, I think the only time I saw him get dirt on his uni was during his ABs : he'd bend down, rub dirt on his palms, then rub it off on his pants.

Has he changed in the past 2 seasons? And what future could he possibly have with the Giants? He's basically only played 3B and 3B is blocked for the next 3 years by Panda. He'll be out of options after this coming season (this year will be his 4th option year). There's no way a MLB team is going to keep a backup 3B (if he can't play anywhere else). I hope that the Giants start giving him some time at 2B this year, and that Conner is smart enough to realize that's a good thing for him.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L

Just stop.

I am too lazy to try and figure out how all these alts are "he who evidently must not be named" ...so like, uh, how was this figured out? And really if it really is that guy and if he is seriously repeatedly annoying everyone with alts because he is just that pathetic is there not a way to permanently ban? Like calsnow says go after the Mozart? Trying to read baseball posts here not preschool posts (not blaming the regulars!) I get enough preschool behavior at work yo don't need to read that shiza too.

I must say that I'm glad at least that it's not El Capitano JA you JAs! I hope he never gets out of the dumpster in his mom's basement. That would be such a bummer!

And back to ST...

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

It's true, I stalked Susac and am his #1 fanboi. So, before Peoria police show up and take me off to jail pending the TRO hearing, here are my observations from today's game:

1. Bum was HUMMING the ball in today. He made the Padres look like little kids swinging in vain at fastballs they couldn't catch up to. 3 very impressive innings.
2. Kown got tagged for two loooong bombs in his two innings. Otherwise, he pitched effectively.
3. The rest of the bullpen (Affledt, Hensley, Romo, Otero) was lights out. Romo especially looked in midseason form.
5. We ran often today, several times to good effect. The ump at 2b, IMO, blew about three calls (twice I thought a runner was safe and once out). The Belt CS was a strange play -- he seemed to pull up 2/3 of the way to second. Also, Whitey's steal was odd -- it looked like both Padre middle infielders expected the other to cover second. Overall, there are a TON of very fast runners in camp.
6. Dominguez is a beast. I don't know if he's ever going to be a productive ML hitter, but he is as big as an ox and when he hits a ball, it STAYS hit.
7. Only one regular in the lineup today (Pagan) and that fucker is FAST.
8. Not only did Susac sign a ball for me (he was shocked that I knew who he was) but he called a good couple of innings. He made the 27th out for the Giants on a check swing K, so there's improvement to do.

I think we're going to the Giants game tomorrow. If so, I will report back on Posey and Franchez.

So I take it that you did not show him the tat you have of him on your shoulder?

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok - don't get to see any ST games ... so .... is Blanco playing as well as the boxscores seem to indicate?

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Repped for lowering my anxiety level for when my wife or daughter sees my screen.

Amen brother. It has happened to me as well with my wife and daughter. Personally, I really liked the old pic, but this one will be much easier to explain.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amen brother. It has happened to me as well with my wife and daughter. Personally, I really liked the old pic, but this one will be much easier to explain.

LOL. Now all we need is have calsnowskier clean up his act.

:peep:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's an interesting comment.A couple of years ago when he spent the season in SJ, we used to joke that he must be either allergic to, or just afraid of, dirt. It seemed that he NEVER dove for balls or made an effort to get to balls that *might* be in his range. Of the 20-odd games I saw him play, I think the only time I saw him get dirt on his uni was during his ABs : he'd bend down, rub dirt on his palms, then rub it off on his pants.

Has he changed in the past 2 seasons? And what future could he possibly have with the Giants? He's basically only played 3B and 3B is blocked for the next 3 years by Panda. He'll be out of options after this coming season (this year will be his 4th option year). There's no way a MLB team is going to keep a backup 3B (if he can't play anywhere else). I hope that the Giants start giving him some time at 2B this year, and that Conner is smart enough to realize that's a good thing for him.

I think that he's a long shot to make the big club at any time during his career. He's org depth at this point, but the fact remains that he can hit a little, and he is generally speaking a good defensive 3b. So, he's a longshot to make the team next year as a backup IF. IIRC, he played some 2b last year and I wouldn't be surprised if he does so again this year.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I take it that you did not show him the tat you have of him on your shoulder?

You know me, GP. That's a second date kind of thing; I'm a classy fanboi...