• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SportsHoopla's 2019 Week 1 Discussion Thread

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#1 Alabama (Blue)
#2 Florida (Blue)
#3 South Carolina (Orange)
#4 California (Red)
#5 Alabama (Red)
#6 North Carolina (Blue)
#7 Idaho (Blue)
#8 Utah (Red)
#9 Georgia (Red)
#10 Ohio (Black)
#11 Indiana (Blue)
#12 Oregon (Green)
#13 Louisiana (Purple)
#14 Massachusetts (Red)
#15 Wisconsin (Red)
#16 Colorado (Black)
#17 Oklahoma (Orange)
#18 Oklahoma (Red)
#19 Michigan (Blue)
#20 Michigan (Hreen)
#21 Ohio (Red)
#22 Iowa (Red)
#23 Wyoming (Brown)
#24 Hawaii (Green)
#25 Georgia (Black)

:wtf2:

It's a fail anyway.

The Crimson King

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So? What's the point of a poll if you are going to pre-assign your beliefs on others? Illinois and Rutgers are just as deserving as any others at this point. If they are not next week, out they go!
Georgia State was pretty impressive. Should be there

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washington State should get a first place vote in the next poll just for the fact we blew some crappy school out while Tennessee got beaten by some crappy school but was too good for Mike Leach.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So? What's the point of a poll if you are going to pre-assign your beliefs on others? Illinois and Rutgers are just as deserving as any others at this point. If they are not next week, out they go!

You're penalizing a team like auburn for scheduling a good game and rewarding teams like Illinois and Rutgers for beating shit teams. That's dumb.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Illinois won't be ranked. He is the 6th ballot and it bumped Illinois to #25. They will quickly get burried. At least he picked teams that won.

Yeah it definitely makes more sense to rank Rutgers than it does Oregon.

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're penalizing a team like auburn for scheduling a good game and rewarding teams like Illinois and Rutgers for beating shit teams. That's dumb.

Most every team played shit teams.

Nobody bats an eyelash that teams like tOSU, Texas, and Michigan are ranked highly for beating shit teams. The only difference is they get the BOD because of their names and high expectations.

Rankings in week 1 mean little other than reinforcing preconceived notions. Any team ranked highly can be unmasked as a pretender or prove to be the real thing, but that usually happens well into the season.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's an OPINION POLL after 1 game. Right now Oregon is (0-1) just like Akron is (0-1). Time will tell which team is better. Right now, they are equally (0-1), as Auburn and Illinois are equally (1-0). Maybe Auburn bombs? Maybe Lovie Smith has turned things around in C-U, IL? Time will tell. Next week, my rankings will change.

Like I mentioned previously, I do not have any pre-conceived ideas and all teams start out equally. It's fluid. The wheat will separate itself from the chaff. Right now, there is a lot of wheat, and I have a sneaking suspicion that your current top 25 is going to look different next week, the week after that and definitely at the end too. Enjoy the process!

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most every team played shit teams.

Nobody bats an eyelash that teams like tOSU, Texas, and Michigan are ranked highly for beating shit teams. The only difference is they get the BOD because of their names and high expectations.

Rankings in week 1 mean little other than reinforcing preconceived notions. Any team ranked highly can be unmasked as a pretender or prove to be the real thing, but that usually happens well into the season.

They get the benefit of the doubt, based on what they did last year and who is on their roster.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's an OPINION POLL after 1 game. Right now Oregon is (0-1) just like Akron is (0-1). Time will tell which team is better. Right now, they are equally (0-1), as Auburn and Illinois are equally (1-0). Maybe Auburn bombs? Maybe Lovie Smith has turned things around in C-U, IL? Time will tell. Next week, my rankings will change. Like I mentioned previously, I do not have any pre-conceived ideas and all teams start out equally. It's fluid. The wheat will separate itself from the chaff. Right now, there is a lot of wheat, and I have a sneaking suspicion that your current top 25 is going to look different next week, the week after that and definitely at the end too. Enjoy the process!

Yes it will change because we actually have some good games next week. Your #1 team plays your #8. Is your #1 team going to drop out if they lose on the road?

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They get the benefit of the doubt, based on what they did last year and who is on their roster.
Last year was last year. If it is all about the roster, just rank the teams based off of recruiting rankings. If we all have to rank certain teams a certain way, what's the point of an OPINION POLL? I'm not trying to russle jimmies, but I do find it humorous when people get all wired about an opinion that is not exactly the same as their opinion in an OPINION POLL.
Yes it will change because we actually have some good games next week. Your #1 team plays your #8. Is your #1 team going to drop out if they lose on the road?
Yes, they will drop out next week if they lose, because I put a premium on winning now, and we really don't know if LSU and Texas even deserve to be ranked #1 and # 8 at the moment. They could finish #1 and #2 or not ranked at all at the end of the year (which has nothing to do with my Week 1 or Week 2 ranking). Additionally, a team I don't have ranked like Auburn could be ranked #1 next week!

It's like the Wild West right now! It's just an OPINION and a GUESS in time. I highly doubt that your (or anybody else's) current Top 25 will be the same at the end of the year as it is now either. There will be teams not anywhere near your radar now that you will rank later (maybe Illinois), and there will be teams you think highly of now that will finish un-ranked (maybe Auburn).

Enjoy the process!

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last year was last year. If it is all about the roster, just rank the teams based off of recruiting rankings. If we all have to rank certain teams a certain way, what's the point of an OPINION POLL? I'm not trying to russle jimmies, but I do find it humorous when people get all wired about an opinion that is not exactly the same as their opinion in an OPINION POLL.

Yes, they will drop out next week if they lose, because I put a premium on winning now, and we really don't know if LSU and Texas even deserve to be ranked #1 and # 8 at the moment. They could finish #1 and #2 or not ranked at all at the end of the year (which has nothing to do with my Week 1 or Week 2 ranking). Additionally, a team I don't have ranked like Auburn could be ranked #1 next week!

It's like the Wild West right now! It's just an OPINION and a GUESS in time. I highly doubt that your (or anybody else's) current Top 25 will be the same at the end of the year as it is now either. There will be teams not anywhere near your radar now that you will rank later (maybe Illinois), and there will be teams you think highly of now that will finish un-ranked (maybe Auburn).

Enjoy the process!

I enjoy CFB, and like watching good teams play against each other in out of conference games. Your opinion rewards playing shitty competition OOC. But if don't like to see good programs play each other, that's fine.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah it definitely makes more sense to rank Rutgers than it does Oregon.
Rutgers won, and Oregon lost. We don't know that Auburn is all of that and a shot of whiskey yet. What if they tank and finish 7-5? Either way, IT'S WEEK 1! Rutgers (1-0) plays @ Iowa (1-0) this week and will either validate my high opinion of the Scarlet Knights or lose and head back to the Garden State un-ranked by me next week.

Enjoy the process!

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rutgers won, and Oregon lost. We don't know that Auburn is all of that and a shot of whiskey yet. What if they tank and finish 7-5? Either way, IT'S WEEK 1! Rutgers (1-0) plays @ Iowa (1-0) this week and will either validate my high opinion of the Scarlet Knights or lose and head back to the Garden State un-ranked by me next week.

Enjoy the process!

Yes, you've made it clear you don't like when good programs play each other. That's fine.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I enjoy CFB, and like watching good teams play against each other in out of conference games. Your opinion rewards playing shitty competition OOC. But if don't like to see good programs play each other, that's fine.
I enjoy CFB and enjoy watching good teams play too. I've been around man: I've been to 316 CFB Games; I've seen 109 FBS teams play in 72 different stadiums over the years - including games @ Minnesota and @ Notre Dame. I didn't just fall off the turnip truck. Lighten up man, it's WEEK ONE! We are not selecting people to get on the Titanic Life-Boats.

P.S. Did you vote for any teams (Ohio State, Texas, etc.) that played crappy FBS teams or any teams (Penn State, UCF, etc.) who played FCS teams ? If you did, that's cool. fyi: I didn't vote for a single team that played an FCS team in Week 1.

Last edited:

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washington State should get a first place vote in the next poll just for the fact we blew some crappy school out while Tennessee got beaten by some crappy school but was too good for Mike Leach.
I ranked the Cougars #2! :)

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I enjoy CFB and enjoy watching good teams play too. I've been around man: I've been to 316 CFB Games; I've seen 109 FBS teams play in 72 different stadiums over the years - including games @ Minnesota and @ Notre Dame. I didn't just fall off the turnip truck. Lighten up man, it's WEEK ONE! We are not selecting people to get on the Titanic Life-Boats.

P.S. Did you vote for any teams (Ohio State, Texas, etc.) that played crappy FBS teams or any teams (Penn State, UCF, etc.) who played FCS teams ? If you did, that's cool. fyi: I didn't vote for a single team that played an FCS team in Week 1.

Oh I'm fine. I thought week 1 sucked because there was only 1 game with 2 good teams playing. I guess you're okay with it?

And yes I did. And I'll rank the loser of LSU/Texas and Clemson/A&M next week because I like when good programs play each other.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, you've made it clear you don't like when good programs play each other. That's fine.
Yet you voted for:

6. Ohio State Beat Florida Atlantic (C-USA)
7. Texas Beat LA Tech (C-USA)
9. Michigan Beat MTSU (C-USA)

13. Washington Beat an FCS Team!
14. Texas A&M Beat Texas State (C-USA)
16. Penn State Beat an FCS Team!

20. Iowa Beat Miami (OH) from the MAC
22. UCF Beat an FCS Team!

Has C-USA all of a sudden become an upper echelon conference? Not to mention Miami (OH) from the MAC (Akron's Conference) and the FCS teams.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I'm fine. I thought week 1 sucked because there was only 1 game with 2 good teams playing. I guess you're okay with it?

And yes I did. And I'll rank the loser of LSU/Texas and Clemson/A&M next week because I like when good programs play each other.
No, I am not okay with it. I do not like non-sporting games, specifically FBS vs. FCS games (which should not even be allowed IMO). I didn't rank any teams that pbeat an FCS team. Also, I do like good teams playing each other; but at this point, we really don't know that teams we think are good will finish good or whether we think teams that are bad will finish bad.

I suppose based on your comments, I do not understand why you do not have Auburn # 1, Oregon # 2, and Ohio State, Texas and Ohio State ranked outside the Top 10 below teams that beat P5 teams and why you have Washington, Penn State and UCF ranked at all since they all beat FCS teams. You know what though? That's your opinion and fine by me.

:suds:

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet you voted for:

6. Ohio State Beat Florida Atlantic (C-USA)
7. Texas Beat LA Tech (C-USA)
9. Michigan Beat MTSU (C-USA)

13. Washington Beat an FCS Team!
14. Texas A&M Beat Texas State (C-USA)
16. Penn State Beat an FCS Team!

20. Iowa Beat Miami (OH) from the MAC
22. UCF Beat an FCS Team!

Has C-USA all of a sudden become an upper echelon conference? Not to mention Miami (OH) from the MAC (Akron's Conference) and the FCS teams.

Yeah I did. Nobody played anybody in week 1. It sucked. There was one good game. There are some really good games this weekend.

You think Oregon is = to UMass...