• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Some Rule Changes

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Competition Committee recommends visors for future NHLers

Some of the most noticeable differences:

- Visors will be grandfathered in

- Shallower nets

- Testing hybrid icing in the preseason.

There was also some talk about restricting goaltenders pads, not sure if they made anything official but it was certainly a talking point. I'm in favor of pretty much all of these.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its really about time for the hybrid icing..no reason for guys to use up all that energy and risk getting hurt only to have the ref call icing no matter who touches the puck.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
all the rule changes are fine expect for 1.

the review of a double minor? why just a double minor? can it increase to a 5 min major? what if the video is conclusive as to who's stick hit him? how long will it take?

whats the point of the hybrid? why go through all this trouble and "judgement" of linesman. why not just make it automatic icing i never found "racing" for the puck to be all that entertaining anyway.

never understood the no visors thought that was stupid. but why not make a helmet with a half cage if players hate the view through a visor? also when players are going to fight can they take off the helmets?

one rule i wouldnt mind them doing is changing timeouts. 1 time out for an entire game including overtime and playoff overtime thats pretty insane! i wouldnt mind doing 1 timeout each team each period. whats the max delay that would cause 80 seconds? just think it would let the coaches draw up a specific play or rest his best players more for important parts of the period not just the game

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
—- Hybrid icing to be tested during the preseason, with the possibility of keeping the new rule for the regular season. (From NHL.com: “Hybrid icing is a mixture of touch and no-touch icing. It gives a linesman the discretion to blow his whistle and stop the play if he believes a defending player will reach the puck first. If the linesman believes the attacking player has a chance to reach the puck first, he keeps his whistle in his pocket and lets the race to the puck play out. The linesman always will side with the defending player and blow his whistle if he feels the race is a tie by the time the players reach the faceoff dots.”)

see thats just stupid. the only way that the team who iced the puck can win the "race" is if they are clearly the team thats going to be the one that gets there first? if thats the case the goalie im sure will come out to get the puck. so whats the point of this?

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the review of the double minor is to see if it should be a double minor or regular 2 minutes. I personally HATE that drawing blood is an automatic double minor. If they conclude it's purely accidental then I'm ok with it. But if it looks bad, then give the double minor.

I'm wondering if the hybrid icing is just the first step toward eventually having automatic icing.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
hybrid doesnt make sense.

say the team that ices the puck isnt even in pursuit of it does that mean the whistle will blow once the guy hits the dots?

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hybrid is basically just saying if the team that ices the puck has no real chance of beating out the icing then they blow the play dead. If there is a chance they can beat it out then they play it out like a regular icing play. I honestly think it's just a stepping stone toward going with full on automatic icing eventually. That's probably just too drastic a change to make in 1 season.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
thats what i thought it was too but the quote i found before from nhl.com says that if its a tie at the dots the ref will blow it dead