• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Some miscellaneous stuff

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll say again what I said a few weeks ago. I could only imagine how horrible this defense would have been without Jones. The idea a draft pick will step in and be a starting corner (and be our best corner at that) is like throwing a coin in a fountain and hoping for your wish to come true. Even if we go that route and luck out with the pick all it does is take a valuable draft pick from helping us somewhere else. I hope we find a replacement and #1 corner somewhere and one for Awuzie too while we are at it as horrible as he was this past year...

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll say again what I said a few weeks ago. I could only imagine how horrible this defense would have been without Jones. The idea a draft pick will step in and be a starting corner (and be our best corner at that) is like throwing a coin in a fountain and hoping for your wish to come true. Even if we go that route and luck out with the pick all it does is take a valuable draft pick from helping us somewhere else. I hope we find a replacement and #1 corner somewhere and one for Awuzie too while we are at it as horrible as he was this past year...

Byron jones Aint all that. He is replaceable. He is ok, not a shutdown as advertised. Let some other team over pay for him.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta agree...12M per for a corner who doesn't get turnovers seems a bit much when you have the QB, wide and slot to sign. I think I'd rather keep the wr and draft corner & safety in the first two days

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta agree...12M per for a corner who doesn't get turnovers seems a bit much when you have the QB, wide and slot to sign. I think I'd rather keep the wr and draft corner & safety in the first two days
Me too. I want Dak and Amari signed. Plenty of corners and safety help in this draft. If BJ was a ball hawking type of corner, I would be all for resigning him. However, interceptions are critical IMO, and he does not get any.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me too. I want Dak and Amari signed. Plenty of corners and safety help in this draft. If BJ was a ball hawking type of corner, I would be all for resigning him. However, interceptions are critical IMO, and he does not get any.
That is definitely the rub with him and he isn't good enough to be a perennial all pro of course, but looking at interceptions alone or at least as one of the biggest pieces is more than a little overrated IMO. It's like a fantasy football look at CBs. Give me a guy that can cover over maybe two plays a year and most interceptions probably on 3rd down where we get the ball back anyway after a punt. And it's in part our defense, not just Jones' skill set, that doesn't get interceptions. Our scheme is set up to avoid giving up big plays and that keeps guys from being more aggressive in coverage which leads to less turnovers.
His coverage numbers have been great the last two years and I think 2nd best in the NFL to Gilmore over that time period in a ranking I saw the other day. I think he has one of the best completion rates against too. Without him this team would have been absolutely disgusting against the pass and I hope this team isn't dumb enough to rely on a draft pick to be a #1 corner in his first year. I'd rather see us sign Jones and draft a #2 corner to play with him or tag Jones and draft a corner and if it works out let him go FA the next year.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is definitely the rub with him and he isn't good enough to be a perennial all pro of course, but looking at interceptions alone or at least as one of the biggest pieces is more than a little overrated IMO. It's like a fantasy football look at CBs. Give me a guy that can cover over maybe two plays a year and most interceptions probably on 3rd down where we get the ball back anyway after a punt. And it's in part our defense, not just Jones' skill set, that doesn't get interceptions. Our scheme is set up to avoid giving up big plays and that keeps guys from being more aggressive in coverage which leads to less turnovers.
His coverage numbers have been great the last two years and I think 2nd best in the NFL to Gilmore over that time period in a ranking I saw the other day. I think he has one of the best completion rates against too. Without him this team would have been absolutely disgusting against the pass and I hope this team isn't dumb enough to rely on a draft pick to be a #1 corner in his first year. I'd rather see us sign Jones and draft a #2 corner to play with him or tag Jones and draft a corner and if it works out let him go FA the next year.
I might be cool with the tagging idea. Not so comfortable paying him top DB dollar long term though. I think he is a good CB but also dont think he is as good as his metrics says. I'd be cool with another year evaluation while looking for either his replacement or partner on the other side.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I might be cool with the tagging idea. Not so comfortable paying him top DB dollar long term though. I think he is a good CB but also dont think he is as good as his metrics says. I'd be cool with another year evaluation while looking for either his replacement or partner on the other side.
Agree. I'd also be fine with letting him go if we bring in another FA, but if we are just going to overpay a lesser player I'd rather overpay the better player in Jones at a couple of million more per. Maybe we find a FA CB out there at a bargain price worth taking a shot on. Bolstering the pass rush or safety position also makes it easier to let Jones go as both make the CB position easier, but we need to actually do it before it will work.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guy I take a hard look at before I sign is Cooper unless he really was indeed injured badly at the end of last year. I think it was because of injury, but no way he was an $18M per year player when we needed him most at the end of the year. I also love Gallup and think he only gets better and better and that is a huge part of the decision. If you can get him at a decent price he obviously makes the team better, but I'm not writing him a blank check.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guy I take a hard look at before I sign is Cooper unless he really was indeed injured badly at the end of last year. I think it was because of injury, but no way he was an $18M per year player when we needed him most at the end of the year. I also love Gallup and think he only gets better and better and that is a huge part of the decision. If you can get him at a decent price he obviously makes the team better, but I'm not writing him a blank check.
Dunno about the injury thing. but I am kinda ok if we let him walk. like you if he wants to sign for a decent price. I would like to keep him, but he is another one I am not sold on giving top dollar too. No matter what I hope we look for that future #1 WR in the draft this year.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dunno about the injury thing. but I am kinda ok if we let him walk. like you if he wants to sign for a decent price. I would like to keep him, but he is another one I am not sold on giving top dollar too. No matter what I hope we look for that future #1 WR in the draft this year.
What I didn't see as much from Cooper as I did from most of the elite WRs and want to see from a guy I'm giving $100M to is the ability to come down with catches when contested where he goes up and fights for those 50/50 balls in traffic or tight coverage. What I did see is the route running everyone spoke of when we got him that did seem to get him open more than most WRs.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I didn't see as much from Cooper as I did from most of the elite WRs and want to see from a guy I'm giving $100M to is the ability to come down with catches when contested where he goes up and fights for those 50/50 balls in traffic or tight coverage. What I did see is the route running everyone spoke of when we got him that did seem to get him open more than most WRs.
I agree. I think he is a #1 WR but not a top ten #1 WR (mid pack if you will)

Reactions: GNG

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Dallas brass is certainly aware of their image. When they traded for Cooper all we heard was this is their 2019 1st round pick. I don't see them letting him hit the street 18 months after the trade.

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Dallas brass is certainly aware of their image. When they traded for Cooper all we heard was this is their 2019 1st round pick. I don't see them letting him hit the street 18 months after the trade.

True, but if he isn't on the field or when he is he is only 75%, not a bad idea to cut losses. I like the guy but he is not #1 top tier money at this point. Two year deal to prove himself at a more team friendly deal is where I would like to go with him.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but if he isn't on the field or when he is he is only 75%, not a bad idea to cut losses. I like the guy but he is not #1 top tier money at this point. Two year deal to prove himself at a more team friendly deal is where I would like to go with him.
I understand your point about top tier money. I'm just saying I don't see Dallas cutting ties after 18 months when a 1st round draft pick is involved. The problem with Dak, Jones and Cooper remains the market, all three would draw top dollar if on the open market. This is why I don't think Dallas keeps more than two. Dak is a given and the tag seems to be involved with the one they do keep. I also think a first or second round pick will be used at the position for the one they let go.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem is they can't resign everyone. I can see the temptation to keep Coop due to the trade they made to get him, but they will have to take a long hard look at his injury and his future availability. As for Jones that's another hard look problem. I'd like to see him stay regardless of the turn overs or lack thereof because he is a top end DB, and they don't just fall off trees.

Good thing is I don't see any must signs next off season except maybe X. Woods. Of course with J.Lewis, and Awuzie also being FAs next year that will add some MUST sign to the issue.

Dak_&_Zeke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to keep Jones on the squad, idk how much he’ll settle for but quality #1 corners don’t fall off trees and I’m not trying to start over with a rookie and have him go thru growing pains. Byron on the other hand knows what he’s doing and his INTs and ball hawking skills can always be corrected with the new staff. Imo most of time teams aren’t throwing to him and it speaks to his quality as a player.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imo most of time teams aren’t throwing to him and it speaks to his quality as a player.
OR....the lack of quality in the overall dbackfield. I think it's a little of both.
IMO....Dallas must bring in two additions this offseason if not three

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have a hunch we let Jones walk and use a high pick on a corner. Yeah Jones covers well,but elite corners cover well and intercept passes. Jones does not pick off passes

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want us to draft a corner or safety that has a history of picking off passes in college. Byron Jones and Awuzie did not pick off many passes in college. They have not picked off many in the NFL either

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now the Giants hiring Garrett as OC is hilarious. The Giants offense will be predictable. You can fit Garrett's entire playbook on a one inch posted note