• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Some good reads.....

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First one from gp on the ESPN board:

Specifically his game calling skills.

Several Phillies, when pressed, said one change in Cain was a willingness to use his entire pitching repertoire, and not just rely on his fastball. Ruiz, the Philadelphia catcher, said Cain kept the Phillies off-balance by mixing in changeups and sliders.
Phillies tip their caps to Giants' Matt Cain after masterful Game 3 - San Jose Mercury News

Also, on an unrelated note, it looks like Torres will leadoff again tomorrow:

Andres Torres expected to hit leadoff for Giants in Game 4 - San Jose Mercury News

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Nice article from Bill Conlin on SF, the Giants, and Giants' Fans.

Some highlights:

San Francisco is not Los Angeles in any respect. Like Philadelphia, it is a city of defined neighborhoods - from the alternative lifestyle haven of the Castro District to the trendy Marina District. North Beach is a miniversion of South Philly. The DiMaggio brothers were raised there. Nob Hill, Russian Hill, Telegraph Hill, the Financial District, Mission, Financial, Potrero, Hunter's Point . . . All these diverse neighborhoods are clustered on a peninsula bordered by San Francisco Bay and the Pacific Ocean that would fit in Northeast Philly with room to spare.

Giants fans have a much harder edge than Dodgers fans. There are no stoppages of play to retrieve beach balls batted from the stands. If they do The Wave, it is to keep warm. Like Phillies fans of yore, failure has hammered them down to fine-tempered steel.

Veterans of the most-traveled fan base in the majors will tell you Giants fans can be hostile, so don't expect to take the place over if you scored tickets. You will not be the home crowd the way you were in Nationals Park that last week

You know after reading this article and the comments following it, it occurred to me that NolanNonsense should be a Dodger fan.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice article from Bill Conlin on SF, the Giants, and Giants' Fans.

Some highlights:

San Francisco is not Los Angeles in any respect. Like Philadelphia, it is a city of defined neighborhoods - from the alternative lifestyle haven of the Castro District to the trendy Marina District. North Beach is a miniversion of South Philly. The DiMaggio brothers were raised there. Nob Hill, Russian Hill, Telegraph Hill, the Financial District, Mission, Financial, Potrero, Hunter's Point . . . All these diverse neighborhoods are clustered on a peninsula bordered by San Francisco Bay and the Pacific Ocean that would fit in Northeast Philly with room to spare.

Giants fans have a much harder edge than Dodgers fans. There are no stoppages of play to retrieve beach balls batted from the stands. If they do The Wave, it is to keep warm. Like Phillies fans of yore, failure has hammered them down to fine-tempered steel.

Veterans of the most-traveled fan base in the majors will tell you Giants fans can be hostile, so don't expect to take the place over if you scored tickets. You will not be the home crowd the way you were in Nationals Park that last week

You know after reading this article and the comments following it, it occurred to me that NolanNonsense should be a Dodger fan.

Good call. OTOH, SF fans would NEVER do the wave.

Even to keep warm -- we'd rather get into a fight with doyerfan.

And...what's up with leaving Pac Heights out of the neighborhood list???

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah. And why do the Sunset and Richmond always get forgotten? What? Everything west of The Fillmore is boring? I love the foggiest part of the city.

And SF fans will do the wave... between innings... if there isn't a dodger fan to fight with. It's for the kids. :). Enjoy that game yesterday, tzill?

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the only two places in SF are YourPhoneCompanyHere Park and the Anchor Steam Brewery. :D

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Well, he mentioned hunters point - same thing.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. And why do the Sunset and Richmond always get forgotten? What? Everything west of The Fillmore is boring? I love the foggiest part of the city.

And SF fans will do the wave... between innings... if there isn't a dodger fan to fight with. It's for the kids. :). Enjoy that game yesterday, tzill?

I did indeed. Things that need to change at AT&T in 2011:
1. Lose the "Fist Pump Cam" -- we don't need to see JerseyBags on our scoreboard.
2. Lose the "Make Noise" prompt -- we can figure that out on our own
3. Lose "Barryoke" -- I can't take any more acoustic amateur Dave Matthews or Jack Johnson.
4. Lose "G-d Bless America" in the 7th (7st?) inning -- let's just make the song our national anthem and lose the unsingable Star Spangled Banner.

I might sneak out there tonight.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did indeed. Things that need to change at AT&T in 2011:
1. Lose the "Fist Pump Cam" -- we don't need to see JerseyBags on our scoreboard.
2. Lose the "Make Noise" prompt -- we can figure that out on our own
3. Lose "Barryoke" -- I can't take any more acoustic amateur Dave Matthews or Jack Johnson.
4. Lose "G-d Bless America" in the 7th (7st?) inning -- let's just make the song our national anthem and lose the unsingable Star Spangled Banner.

I might sneak out there tonight.

LOL, when I was at game 162, I booed the "Fist Pump Cam" and yelled out dooshbag.....some mothers in my section were less than pleased.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, when I was at game 162, I booed the "Fist Pump Cam" and yelled out dooshbag.....some mothers in my section were less than pleased.

That video is SOOOO fucking JerseyBag. Orange skin and Axe hair....putrid.

jerziest-jerz-guido-buttchinksy

Last edited by a moderator:

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

haha, that's it. Fights are started to keep warm.

Pacific Heights is awesome, went to grade school near there. Sunset and Richmond have some of the best places to eat.

Waves are/should be outlawed. Stadium prompts to "make noise" and "wave rally rags" are for fringe fans and are an insult to real G fans.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
haha, that's it. Fights are started to keep warm.

Pacific Heights is awesome, went to grade school near there. Sunset and Richmond have some of the best places to eat.

Waves are/should be outlawed. Stadium prompts to "make noise" and "wave rally rags" are for fringe fans and are an insult to real G fans.

That's what I'm talkin' 'bout. Burma Superstar!