• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pagan - Giants are Team to Beat

jingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Angel Pagan prides himself as the Giants' new leadoff hitter. The No. 1 man. So allow him to be the first to make a bold statement about the 2012 Giants in the National League West:

"I'm very, very confident that this is the team to beat," Pagan said.

Coming off their worst offensive season in the Third and King era, the Giants finished eight games behind division-champion Arizona in 2011 because their bats were light-years behind their arms.

The additions of Pagan and Melky Cabrera, coupled with less foot traffic in trainer Dave Groeschner's quarters - not to mention an Aubrey Huff sighting - are supposed to enhance an offense that finished last in the National League in runs, RBIs, on-base percentage and hitting with runners in scoring position.

And was similarly lousy in a whole bunch of other categories.

None of that deters Pagan, the enthusiastic outfielder who was acquired from the Mets in December for Andres Torres and Ramon Ramirez.

"We have what we needed," said Pagan, fully aware of the voids and who filled them. "We have speed. We have power. We have the pitching. We have everything. We have a very balanced team, and it seems like everybody gets along well.

"When I was with the Mets, I saw this team was in desperate need of a speedster at the top of the lineup that'll get on base for the RBI guys, and that'll be me. I'm ready. I'm healthy."

If Pagan is as good as he is eager, the offense is on the verge of an upgrade - but he needs tons of help if the Giants are to scare anyone. How scary were they last year when hitting .173 in two-out/runners-in-scoring-position scenarios - a buck-73?

That's the worst average in the 37-year history of the stat. The more important the at-bat, the tighter the grip, the worse the outcome.

"There's no excuse," batting coach Hensley Meulens said. "We have to be better. We have to find a way to give our pitchers more freedom. Turn this torture upside down."

Now along come Pagan and Cabrera, both switch-hitters with speed. They combined for 52 steals (32 for Pagan) and 170 runs (102 for Cabrera). Torres has speed, too. He simply didn't play enough or hit enough.

Manager Bruce Bochy said he'll try different lineup combinations in spring training, but it seems a no-brainer to bat Pagan first and Cabrera second (where he was positioned 144 times last year) or fifth/sixth (based on his 87 RBIs).

"I like the moves they made. I like the speed," said Tim Lincecum, who received zero run support in 10 of 33 starts last year and two runs or fewer in 21 starts. "I feel like in those games you're talking about, that one run could be made up with guys we have. It changes the game. Those 1-0, 2-0 games are winnable games."

Pablo Sandoval said, "It'll be a big difference to have those guys on base."

Speed on the bases isn't merely about stealing. It's about third-base coach Tim Flannery doing the get-your-butt-home dance. Giants runners, for years comfortable moving station to station, scored from second base on singles 57 percent of the time last season (90 of 157), ranking 12th in the league.

More speed should make Flannery boogie more.

"I'm pretty sure that's going to help our offense," said Meulens, who's welcoming more consistent at-bats in the leadoff spot from either Pagan or Cabrera, both of whom have much longer track records than Torres does. Plus, with more speed, Meulens is envisioning "perhaps a little calmer" approaches in RBI situations.

"Toning down anxiety," Meulens said.

Meulens watched all of Cabrera's 2011 at-bats on DVD and got enthused, saying, "He looked great from both sides." Cabrera was fifth in the majors with 201 hits, and Pagan is two years removed from a career-high 168. Let's not forget that Ryan Theriot, another newcomer who'll push Brandon Crawford at shortstop, hit .310 off lefties.

With those hitters, complemented by a healthier Buster Posey and Freddy Sanchez and perhaps a Huff bounce-back, it would be nearly impossible to be as awful offensively. The Giants scored a league-low 570 runs, a drop from 697 (ninth in the NL) in their championship season.

"These guys are capable of it. They really are," Meulens said. "We have to utilize our park. Our park is more conducive to doubles or triples. We'll concentrate in spring training on attacking the ball and hitting line drives. ... If it's a lazy flyball, we've got a problem."

More than likely, it all starts with Pagan.

"I know they're counting on me at the top of the lineup," he said. "We've got a great pitching staff, the best in the league. If we score runs early, that'll be the difference. I have confidence I'll have a big year, and we're looking forward to building the best atmosphere and building a great team and winning the West Division.

"I can't wait to play in October."

No offense

The Giants' hitters were the least productive in the National League in 2011. Here's where they ranked among the 16 NL teams in some key categories:

Category/Total/NL rank

Runs/570/16th
On-base pct./.303/16th
Batting avg./.242/15th
Bases on balls/448/14th
Hits/1,327/13th
Stolen bases/85/13th
Home runs/121/11th

John Shea is a San Francisco Chronicle staff writer. [email protected]

This article appeared on page B - 1 of the San Francisco Chronicle

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like this guy even more now. Plus fuck it I think he's right. Let's get this shit started already!!!

Can't wait for some G I A N T S baseball!

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOVE the enthusiasm!!!

Great way to start, kid!

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speed and hitting are contagious and synergistic.

It is good to see we are building a team that is getting more tailored to the park.

I'm especially hoping for Gary Brown to develop into the kind of player that could be a real star and asset in this park.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got my Pagan jersey on order! ;)

Enthusiasms!!! (think De Niro in Untouchables)

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got my Pagan jersey on order! ;)

Enthusiasms!!! (think De Niro in Untouchables)

Ha ha!

untouchables.gif

sfsportsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nolan bout to be banned

Driaz

People are crazy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I'm an outsider, but honestly I don't fear much about your team offensively....I like Sandoval a lot and Posey being back will help, but I just am not sold on much else in your lineup. Belt should be good as well, but he's still a year or two away from starting to peak.

Your pitching will keep you in games and that's really what matters in this division. I just don't see the improvements on offense changing that much from last year to this.....but hell, I thought my team would challenge for 100 losses this time last year.....

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fill,

We need a ruling. Ban or clear. Trolls are "OK", but "it" isn't.

sfsportsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys will walk away with the division. Rockies will be your main competition. We will hang around for awhile until the trade deadline when the wheels will come off.

D-Backs: 93 wins

Rockies: 88 wins

Giants: 84 wins

Dodgers: 79 wins

Padres: 70 wins

whats hilarious, troll, is that you said on the other board the division would be like this...

NolanNonsense

Giants

Rockies

Dodgers

D'Backs

Padres

so you come here, knowing your pantshatting will get you the reaction that you dont get from the lil maids at your nursing home who just steal your money and switch the cords on your feeding tube and bedpan when you get low.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So because I speak the truth I'm a troll? What exactly excites you about this offense? The acquisition of 2 average outfielders?

No, it's because you're NolanNonsense that you're a troll. And a miserable prick who we don't like. I've told you this, we don't like you as a person. Doesn't matter what you type, we loathe you. You, the person who types into his computer. We. Fucking. Hate. You.

And you have major problems because you love it.

Either way you are about to get banned from here and from the Niners board too. We absolutely can do that.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
whats hilarious, troll, is that you said on the other board the division would be like this...

NolanNonsense

Giants

Rockies

Dodgers

D'Backs

Padres

so you come here, knowing your pantshatting will get you the reaction that you dont get from the lil maids at your nursing home who just steal your money and switch the cords on your feeding tube and bedpan when you get low.

Hell to the yeah. Big rep.

sfsportsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
k, definitely Nolan.

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just perma banned him again.

Guys - you have a great board here, so do me a favor......the very second this tard shows it's stupid head....cut it off!

It makes no sense to wait around for all of his asinine comments. Just lop "it" off at the nape and move on. lol

Take care brothers.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just perma banned him again.

Guys - you have a great board here, so do me a favor......the very second this tard shows it's stupid head....cut it off!

It makes no sense to wait around for all of his asinine comments. Just lop "it" off at the nape and move on. lol

Take care brothers.

Thanks Tox. Repped, so you can get a few rep points to start you off.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I'm an outsider, but honestly I don't fear much about your team offensively....I like Sandoval a lot and Posey being back will help, but I just am not sold on much else in your lineup. Belt should be good as well, but he's still a year or two away from starting to peak.

Your pitching will keep you in games and that's really what matters in this division. I just don't see the improvements on offense changing that much from last year to this.....but hell, I thought my team would challenge for 100 losses this time last year.....

To address one of the few substantive posts of this thread, certainly, the Giants' line-up is nowhere near as good as the D-Backs, or even the Rockies... or possibly the Dodgers (if Kemp and Ethier stay healthy).

However, the two average outfielders that they picked up are significantly better than what was trotted out last year. If Melky and Angel are average, then Cody, Pat and Andres are considerably below average. You were correct to mention the importance of Posey to the balance of the line-up, too. Don't forget about Franchez (even just 120 games will be very helpful when he has a capable back-up like Theriot).

Also, think about the defense. Even Melky's suspect routs and Angel's less than perfect jumps are an improvement over sending Pat the Bat to man "one-third" of The Phone Booth's outfield. It looks like Crawford will at least start out as the everyday shortstop, which immediately improves the infield defense, and only slightly diminishes the offense that they (didn't) get from the position last year. That will be most important with the pitching staff. Less Huff and no Pat in left combined with no Tejada or Keppy will make the Giants' staff look even better, if that's possible.

Obviously, the Diamondbacks made major improvements to their pitching, and have young hitters that are continuing to improve (scary). The bottom line is that no one is running away with this division. The days of a weak NL West are over. The NL Central, on the other hand...

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To address one of the few substantive posts of this thread, certainly, the Giants' line-up is nowhere near as good as the D-Backs, or even the Rockies... or possibly the Dodgers (if Kemp and Ethier stay healthy).

However, the two average outfielders that they picked up are significantly better than what was trotted out last year. If Melky and Angel are average, then Cody, Pat and Andres are considerably below average. You were correct to mention the importance of Posey to the balance of the line-up, too. Don't forget about Franchez (even just 120 games will be very helpful when he has a capable back-up like Theriot).

Also, think about the defense. Even Melky's suspect routs and Angel's less than perfect jumps are an improvement over sending Pat the Bat to man "one-third" of The Phone Booth's outfield. It looks like Crawford will at least start out as the everyday shortstop, which immediately improves the infield defense, and only slightly diminishes the offense that they (didn't) get from the position last year. That will be most important with the pitching staff. Less Huff and no Pat in left combined with no Tejada or Keppy will make the Giants' staff look even better, if that's possible.

Obviously, the Diamondbacks made major improvements to their pitching, and have young hitters that are continuing to improve (scary). The bottom line is that no one is running away with this division. The days of a weak NL West are over. The NL Central, on the other hand...

Repped for accuracy.

It feels like it's a dogfight between the Dbacks and Giants (oddsmakers have the Giants a little favored). Then again, every year what it 'feels like' going in and what happens seem to diverge. Like the Dback fan noted, he thought 2011 would suck for his team. And we thought it would be awesome for ours.

So the book is about to be written, can't wait! One of life's last unpredictable activities.