• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pagan - Giants are Team to Beat

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Repped for accuracy.

It feels like it's a dogfight between the Dbacks and Giants (oddsmakers have the Giants a little favored). Then again, every year what it 'feels like' going in and what happens seem to diverge. Like the Dback fan noted, he thought 2011 would suck for his team. And we thought it would be awesome for ours.

So the book is about to be written, can't wait! One of life's last unpredictable activities.

Five more days, lads.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just perma banned him again.

Guys - you have a great board here, so do me a favor......the very second this tard shows it's stupid head....cut it off!

It makes no sense to wait around for all of his asinine comments. Just lop "it" off at the nape and move on. lol

Take care brothers.

Thanks tox. Much appreciated.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I'm an outsider, but honestly I don't fear much about your team offensively....I like Sandoval a lot and Posey being back will help, but I just am not sold on much else in your lineup. Belt should be good as well, but he's still a year or two away from starting to peak.

Your pitching will keep you in games and that's really what matters in this division. I just don't see the improvements on offense changing that much from last year to this.....but hell, I thought my team would challenge for 100 losses this time last year.....

Driaz,

As already mentioned, no one here is claiming that we have a lineup that strikes fear in anyone. But we also do not need that lineup.

We do believe that we have (health dependent) a near-average offense. Combine that with our defense and pitching, and we are quite excited about our chances going in to 2012.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Newbie here - in fact, my first post on this board ...

What nobody has mentioned (at least not in this thread, I haven't read all 1000+ threads ... ;) ) is that the real thing that killed the Giants last year were the injuries. And not just Posey (or Posey and Sanchez, if you prefer). To really drive the point home, if you look at the box score for the first game of the 2011 season, all but two of the players (starting pitcher, and Huff) who appeared in the game *at any time* were on the DL for a minimum of 4 weeks. And Wilson was already on the DL (and was there for over a month, during the season). And guys were obviously playing hurt in Aug & Sep and NOT going on the DL (like Sanchez, who couldn't bat from one side of the plate). Last year was just brutal in terms of injuries.

If the team kept all the same players, and just stays healthy, the offense would be a lot better. As it is, they've improved the offense (not drastically, just better) with a much better offensive look in the OF over last year, as well as adding Theriot. Not because Theriot is the big bopper, but because he adds a lot against LHP - he's always hit significantly better against lefties, and as a platoon at 2B/SS against lefty starters, should make an improvement over 2011's offensive and defensive disaster at SS & 2B. Crawford may not hit well this coming season, but if he hits at least as well as last year's platoon at short, the improved defense should help the team stay in games. The team is also faster with the addition of Melky & Angel at the top of the order. It's not a "scary" lineup - just one that is much better than last year.

And if Nate starts 80% of the time in RF, the defense is going to be better as well. I think too many people undervalue the "runs saved" by Nate's defense in right. How many times has Nate nailed a guy trying to stretch a double, or thrown out the runner trying to go first-to-third on an outfield single? Or how he positions himself to keep that long ball off the wall from turning into a double? The biggest part of it aren't the outs made - it's that the players KNOW his arm and limit themselves because of it. Last year, Nate threw out a player (I'm pretty sure it was Fielder) going for a double on a loooong ball to right. The look on his face when he got tagged out was classic ("I can't believe that wasn't a double"). Later in the same game, he hit another looong ball into right field, rounded first and STOPPED.

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to the season.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What nobody has mentioned (at least not in this thread, I haven't read all 1000+ threads ... ;) ) is that the real thing that killed the Giants last year were the injuries. And not just Posey (or Posey and Sanchez, if you prefer). To really drive the point home, if you look at the box score for the first game of the 2011 season, all but two of the players (starting pitcher, and Huff) who appeared in the game *at any time* were on the DL for a minimum of 4 weeks. And Wilson was already on the DL (and was there for over a month, during the season). And guys were obviously playing hurt in Aug & Sep and NOT going on the DL (like Sanchez, who couldn't bat from one side of the plate). Last year was just brutal in terms of injuries.

If the team kept all the same players, and just stays healthy, the offense would be a lot better. As it is, they've improved the offense (not drastically, just better) with a much better offensive look in the OF over last year, as well as adding Theriot. Not because Theriot is the big bopper, but because he adds a lot against LHP - he's always hit significantly better against lefties, and as a platoon at 2B/SS against lefty starters, should make an improvement over 2011's offensive and defensive disaster at SS & 2B. Crawford may not hit well this coming season, but if he hits at least as well as last year's platoon at short, the improved defense should help the team stay in games. The team is also faster with the addition of Melky & Angel at the top of the order. It's not a "scary" lineup - just one that is much better than last year.

And if Nate starts 80% of the time in RF, the defense is going to be better as well. I think too many people undervalue the "runs saved" by Nate's defense in right. How many times has Nate nailed a guy trying to stretch a double, or thrown out the runner trying to go first-to-third on an outfield single? Or how he positions himself to keep that long ball off the wall from turning into a double? The biggest part of it aren't the outs made - it's that the players KNOW his arm and limit themselves because of it. Last year, Nate threw out a player (I'm pretty sure it was Fielder) going for a double on a loooong ball to right. The look on his face when he got tagged out was classic ("I can't believe that wasn't a double"). Later in the same game, he hit another looong ball into right field, rounded first and STOPPED.

Welcome Marco, and shame on you for calling yourself a newbie. You are one of the "old school" guys who I have read for years. Feel free to spread the word about this place at RunBoard. That place looks like it is dieing anyway.

As for your post, we all have :deadhorse: on this board for the last year. That is to the point of not needing to be mentioned anymore :)

the_broom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Welcome Marco....good to see you over here!:welcome:

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah, I see. I wanted to point out that in terms of "improving the team", a healthy Posey, Sanchez, and Sandoval IS an improved team all by itself. The defense of Nate & Crawford full-time should limit the other team's scoring. Then, on top of that, are the new players. It should be a better team, and I'm looking forward to the start of the season.

I just stumbled across this board today, by accident - how long has this board been around? I was a little surprised not to see a sticky "welcome", "introduce yourself" or "board rules" thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welcome Marco, and shame on you for calling yourself a newbie. You are one of the "old school" guys who I have read for years. Feel free to spread the word about this place at RunBoard. That place looks like it is dieing anyway.

I try to use the same handle on different sites so that people will "recognize" me if they know me from elsewhere. I hoped I hadn't started posting in the middle of a "war" (with "Nolan", whoever that is) as that is exactly what happened when I joined runboard. I got labelled a troll and sockpuppet and roundly insulted for a couple of days, which got my back up, and caused me to be pretty damn insulting and quick-to-anger for a couple of years on that site. Most of the jerks have been banned over the past coupla years so it's a lot quieter there now.

I went and read a bunch of my old boards today (places I posted 3, 4, 5+ years ago) and it's shocking how many of them are either completely gone, or just plain dead. The sad news is that BruteSentiment's site, sfdugout (which had a great insight on minor leaguers), is now gone. Anybody know where he (Kevin) is these days? sfdugout (the *original*, from 8-9 years ago, which later merged with scout.com) was one of my first Giants boards, and we had a great group of posters.

Sorry for highjacking the thread.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah, I see. I wanted to point out that in terms of "improving the team", a healthy Posey, Sanchez, and Sandoval IS an improved team all by itself. The defense of Nate & Crawford full-time should limit the other team's scoring.

I just stumbled across this board today, by accident - how long has this board been around? I was a little surprised not to see a sticky "welcome", "introduce yourself" or "board rules" thread.

This was the destination of the Second Disney Exodus. We have been here about 2 years. The formation of this board DIRECTLY lead to the 2010 World Series Championship, so you best respec!!

We do not have an "Introduce Yourself" thread, because, quite frankly, we were too dense to think of it. That, and we all know each other.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Welcome aboard MarcoPolo, good to have you here.

EDIT: If you have any questions or concerns over the rules and regulations, please don't hesitate to send me a personal message. Take care man, hope you enjoy it here.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I try to use the same handle on different sites so that people will "recognize" me if they know me from elsewhere. I hoped I hadn't started posting in the middle of a "war" (with "Nolan", whoever that is) as that is exactly what happened when I joined runboard. I got labelled a troll and sockpuppet and roundly insulted for a couple of days, which got my back up, and caused me to be pretty damn insulting and quick-to-anger for a couple of years on that site. Most of the jerks have been banned over the past coupla years so it's a lot quieter there now.

I went and read a bunch of my old boards today (places I posted 3, 4, 5+ years ago) and it's shocking how many of them are either completely gone, or just plain dead. The sad news is that BruteSentiment's site, sfdugout (which had a great insight on minor leaguers), is now gone. Anybody know where he (Kevin) is these days? sfdugout (the *original*, from 8-9 years ago, which later merged with scout.com) was one of my first Giants boards, and we had a great group of posters.

Sorry for highjacking the thread.

I tried RunBoard for a while about 3 or 4 years back, but I never found it very welcoming (unfortunately, something I fear this place could become because we are sooo tight with each other). I actually had a run-in with one of the regs there and IIRC, you sent me a PM saying the guy was a douche and you had my back.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was the destination of the Second Disney Exodus. We have been here about 2 years. The formation of this board DIRECTLY lead to the 2010 World Series Championship, so you best respec!!

We do not have an "Introduce Yourself" thread, because, quite frankly, we were too dense to think of it. That, and we all know each other.

Yeah because we are all tzill's alts...

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Here's all you need to look at to know that injuries were a problem last year:

Players who qualified for the batting title

1) Aubrey Huff

That's it.

Welcome aboard. My gift to you is some rep. :hat:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Welcome, and rep to get you going.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welcome aboard MarcoPolo, good to have you here.

EDIT: If you have any questions or concerns over the rules and regulations, please don't hesitate to send me a personal message. Take care man, hope you enjoy it here.

And right on cue, Filo sets up another newcomer for double dues.

Nicely played.

:caked::caked:

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're saying I should immediately set up a sockpuppet account? ;)

No, wait, to be more believable, I should wait a day or two. Right?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're saying I should immediately set up a sockpuppet account? ;)

No, wait, to be more believable, I should wait a day or two. Right?

Welcome rep. I can tell this dude is cool.

And cal, I think we're pretty much open to anybody new here. There's only the one idiot we all hate. Everyone else can post here as far as I'm concerned, even to be negative. It was the WAY that douche was negative. And so many other things.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I think it was Ryan Howard.