• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

After reading this article...

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
San Francisco Giants catcher Buster Posey uncertain how ankle will respond to playing again - San Jose Mercury News

The Giants have no choice but to alter their expectations for the 25-man roster.

"That's why manager Bruce Bochy and G.M. Brian Sabean already are talking about playing Posey at first base at least once a week, and possibly more, to keep his bat in the lineup."

Knowing full well that Posey will have to move to 1B at least once a week - and let's be honest here - it's probably better if it is 2-3 times per week - the Giants will have to adjust their roster expectations.

Brett Pill can no longer make the team as a 1B. With Huff and Belt and Posey all vying for 1B time, the Giants cannot afford to add Pill to the mix. The only way he breaks camp with the big club is if he is the team's 5th OF and regular pinch-hitter.

Honestly, what I would do is install Posey as the regular 1B for the first month of the season. I would tell Belt and Huff that they are splitting LF duties and Pagan/Nate that they are splitting RF duties. I would put Chez2 as the primary C and have Stew as his backup. I would let Posey catch once - maybe twice per week at most.

If Posey shows that his ankle can handle the duties behind the plate, I would ove Stewart back to the minors in late April or early May and bring up whoever is hitting the best and can play the OF.

My opening day roster would look like this:

SP - Timmeh, Cain, Vogelsong, Bumgarner, Zito
RP - Wilson, Romo, Casilla, Lopez, Affedlt, Hensley, (Mota/Runzler - 1 of the 2)
IF - Posey, Huff, Sanchez, Crawford, Sandoval, Fontenot, Theriot
C - Chez2, Stewart
OF - Belt, Pagan, Melky, Nate

Thoughts.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Posey will start at C and end up playing 120+ games there this year. In fact, SabeySabes commented recently that he's not sure giving him a "day off" at 1b once a week is such a good idea -- Buster might better be served by taking the whole day off.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants have said they are trying Pill in the OF this spring. Pill is no stranger to this either, he played second in Fresno a lot of the year. While that failed completely, he is willing to change positions if need be, so expect to see him in LF/RF a lot this spring.

And really, it's a wait and see for all of us. Spring games are still a little less than a month away and the regular season is 2 months away. A lot can happen. I still think that Pill makes the roster over Stewart and hope that Chez2/3 makes the team.

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Giants have said they are trying Pill in the OF this spring. Pill is no stranger to this either, he played second in Fresno a lot of the year. While that failed completely, he is willing to change positions if need be, so expect to see him in LF/RF a lot this spring.

And really, it's a wait and see for all of us. Spring games are still a little less than a month away and the regular season is 2 months away. A lot can happen. I still think that Pill makes the roster over Stewart and hope that Chez2/3 makes the team.

I think the long term plan with Pill, assuming his bat can stay viable in the bigs, is to turn him into a DeRo like super ut player that can get a good number of AB's.

Granted, like I said, that's completely contingent on him being able to hit ML pitching long term

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the long term plan with Pill, assuming his bat can stay viable in the bigs, is to turn him into a DeRo like super ut player that can get a good number of AB's.

Granted, like I said, that's completely contingent on him being able to hit ML pitching long term

Agreed, on the DeRo comparison. Possibly can play a lot of positions (though not very well), both given chance in their mid/late 20's, glue type guys. I don't see Pill being very much more than that. Maybe that would warrant more time in the minors to learn a new position.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreed. I wouldn't be stunned if they try to get him some time behind the plate as well.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. I wouldn't be stunned if they try to get him some time behind the plate as well.

Cool, then we can have Brett Pill Day, where in one game he plays one inning at every position, like they did with Bert Campaneris years ago.

In all seriousness, however, Brett Pill is my candidate for Biggest Upside Surprise of 2012. Pure hunch and speculation on my part.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This article seems more upbeat:

Lyle Spencer: Giants ready to welcome back catcher Buster Posey | SFGiants.com: News

Busting back onto scene? Posey, Giants ready

Catcher rehabbing quickly, confident in Opening Day return

By Lyle Spencer | MLB.com Columnist | Archive02/03/12 6:55 PM EST

SAN FRANCISCO -- Bruce Bochy looks at Buster Posey, whose 24-year-old body is equipped with a mind seemingly 10 years older, and what the Giants' manager sees chases away whatever blues he might be feeling.

"The whole package," Bochy said. "That's Buster. The leadership role he plays, leading the [pitching] staff, being a good teammate, his talent on both sides of the ball, how good an athlete he is. [He's] as good as anybody I've managed."

This takes in a lot of managerial time (17 years) and territory. It includes a Hall of Famer or two, a pair of World Series trips and a championship in 2010, Posey's memorable rookie year.

The Giants were not the same team in 2011. Posey's season ended in a horrific flash on May 25 with a collision at home plate at AT&T Park. His lower left leg was shattered by the impact with Florida's Scott Cousins. Surgery repaired three torn ligaments in his ankle.

"I look at Buster now," Bochy was saying on Friday, "and it's amazing how he's come back so fast. That was a really bad one. We're hopeful we'll have him to open the season. He's so important to us."

The Giants were leading the National League West by 2 1/2 games, Posey afire with a 13-game hitting streak, when he went down.

They maintained their lead for all but nine games until Aug. 10, when they fell into second to stay, overtaken by the surging Diamondbacks.

It was Posey's presence that the Giants maintain they missed as much as his bat, glove and laser arm.

The kid from Georgia gave his team authority.

Giants pitching coach Dave Righetti could see the difference in both dugouts.

"You've got guys who are just better than the others, and they all know it," Righetti said. "You feel like you've got the upper hand going into a fight with a guy like that.

"Posey carries all the intangibles. It resonates even with players on the other team. They know it. It's an intangible, but it's something you see, how players react.

"Defensively, our guys [Eli Whiteside and Chris Stewart] did a fantastic job [replacing Posey]. But Posey is an attitude guy. Players look at your team differently when you have someone like that."

When he hasn't been caring for his baby twins this winter, Posey has been fully immersed in rehab. He is convinced he'll be back in form by Opening Day, ready to catch, play some first base and hit.

"I've done some stuff I didn't think I'd be doing so soon," Posey said. "I started taking batting practice on the field about three weeks before I thought I would. Timing is a huge part of hitting. I'm optimistic it'll be pretty smooth."

Crouching, he said, has been no problem. While he has no idea how often he'll be at first base, he handled the position capably as a rookie while Bengie Molina was the regular receiver.

"It'll be questions and answers for a while," Posey said. "I can answer questions by being out there.

"I'm anxious. There are going to be a few extra things to do in Spring Training, but I'm happy where I am and I'm looking forward to a healthy season."

At the same time, he admits his left ankle still does not feel the way it did before he was crushed.

"I know there's going to be some aches for a while," he said, "but the doctors told me that's normal."

Playing 108 games, basically two-thirds of the 2010 season, Posey was the National League Rookie of the Year. He batted .305 with .357 on-base and .505 slugging marks.

He did this -- having replaced Molina after the big catcher was sent to Texas -- playing half of his games in what Tim Lincecum calls a "graveyard" for hitters. Nothing seems to bother Posey, who's more natural than the Robert Redford character.

Initially, Lincecum didn't feel the same connection with Posey as with Molina. But the ace was immediately impressed by what Bochy calls Posey's best attribute: his demeanor.

"He speaks up when he wants to," Lincecum said. "I'm a two-time Cy Young winner and he's a rookie, and he's coming out and telling me what I need to hear.

"Like, if I'm not getting a call and I'm [upset], he'll come out, and it's almost like my dad getting on me. He'd say, `Would you rather be sitting in the dugout or pitching? Would you rather be playing ball or not? You need to get your [act] together. We need you to stay in this game.'"

Lincecum quickly came to realize this was no normal rookie.

"He's like the unspoken leader of this team," Lincecum said. "He takes it so seriously. You look at how he works out, how he plays the game. This is his life, his job, his passion. You rarely see that in any player at all, for a guy that young to take it on like that."

Posey's brilliant 2010 postseason -- .288 average in 15 games with a majestic World Series homer in Texas -- was no surprise to those who'd seen him at Florida State.

"He owned the state -- him and [Tim] Tebow," Righetti said, grinning. "Buster's a legend in Florida."

Posey began catching, a position he'd never played, as a sophomore. He'd been drafted as a pitcher by the Angels out of Lee County (Georgia) High School but opted for FSU and shortstop, "because I love to hit."

John Barr, the Giants' scouting director, had followed Posey closely and was enamored of his talent and attitude. San Francisco is eternally grateful that four clubs passed on Posey in the 2008 First-Year Player Draft.

The Giants had been just as lucky two years earlier when nine teams, including his hometown Mariners, let Lincecum get away.

Here stands the foundation of a champion. Pitcher-catcher combo plates don't come any tastier than Lincecum-Posey.

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This article seems more upbeat:

Lyle Spencer: Giants ready to welcome back catcher Buster Posey | SFGiants.com: News

Busting back onto scene? Posey, Giants ready

Catcher rehabbing quickly, confident in Opening Day return

By Lyle Spencer | MLB.com Columnist | Archive02/03/12 6:55 PM EST

SAN FRANCISCO -- Bruce Bochy looks at Buster Posey, whose 24-year-old body is equipped with a mind seemingly 10 years older, and what the Giants' manager sees chases away whatever blues he might be feeling.

"The whole package," Bochy said. "That's Buster. The leadership role he plays, leading the [pitching] staff, being a good teammate, his talent on both sides of the ball, how good an athlete he is. [He's] as good as anybody I've managed."

This takes in a lot of managerial time (17 years) and territory. It includes a Hall of Famer or two, a pair of World Series trips and a championship in 2010, Posey's memorable rookie year.

The Giants were not the same team in 2011. Posey's season ended in a horrific flash on May 25 with a collision at home plate at AT&T Park. His lower left leg was shattered by the impact with Florida's Scott Cousins. Surgery repaired three torn ligaments in his ankle.

"I look at Buster now," Bochy was saying on Friday, "and it's amazing how he's come back so fast. That was a really bad one. We're hopeful we'll have him to open the season. He's so important to us."

The Giants were leading the National League West by 2 1/2 games, Posey afire with a 13-game hitting streak, when he went down.

They maintained their lead for all but nine games until Aug. 10, when they fell into second to stay, overtaken by the surging Diamondbacks.

It was Posey's presence that the Giants maintain they missed as much as his bat, glove and laser arm.

The kid from Georgia gave his team authority.

Giants pitching coach Dave Righetti could see the difference in both dugouts.

"You've got guys who are just better than the others, and they all know it," Righetti said. "You feel like you've got the upper hand going into a fight with a guy like that.

"Posey carries all the intangibles. It resonates even with players on the other team. They know it. It's an intangible, but it's something you see, how players react.

"Defensively, our guys [Eli Whiteside and Chris Stewart] did a fantastic job [replacing Posey]. But Posey is an attitude guy. Players look at your team differently when you have someone like that."

When he hasn't been caring for his baby twins this winter, Posey has been fully immersed in rehab. He is convinced he'll be back in form by Opening Day, ready to catch, play some first base and hit.

"I've done some stuff I didn't think I'd be doing so soon," Posey said. "I started taking batting practice on the field about three weeks before I thought I would. Timing is a huge part of hitting. I'm optimistic it'll be pretty smooth."

Crouching, he said, has been no problem. While he has no idea how often he'll be at first base, he handled the position capably as a rookie while Bengie Molina was the regular receiver.

"It'll be questions and answers for a while," Posey said. "I can answer questions by being out there.

"I'm anxious. There are going to be a few extra things to do in Spring Training, but I'm happy where I am and I'm looking forward to a healthy season."

At the same time, he admits his left ankle still does not feel the way it did before he was crushed.

"I know there's going to be some aches for a while," he said, "but the doctors told me that's normal."

Playing 108 games, basically two-thirds of the 2010 season, Posey was the National League Rookie of the Year. He batted .305 with .357 on-base and .505 slugging marks.

He did this -- having replaced Molina after the big catcher was sent to Texas -- playing half of his games in what Tim Lincecum calls a "graveyard" for hitters. Nothing seems to bother Posey, who's more natural than the Robert Redford character.

Initially, Lincecum didn't feel the same connection with Posey as with Molina. But the ace was immediately impressed by what Bochy calls Posey's best attribute: his demeanor.

"He speaks up when he wants to," Lincecum said. "I'm a two-time Cy Young winner and he's a rookie, and he's coming out and telling me what I need to hear.

"Like, if I'm not getting a call and I'm [upset], he'll come out, and it's almost like my dad getting on me. He'd say, `Would you rather be sitting in the dugout or pitching? Would you rather be playing ball or not? You need to get your [act] together. We need you to stay in this game.'"

Lincecum quickly came to realize this was no normal rookie.

"He's like the unspoken leader of this team," Lincecum said. "He takes it so seriously. You look at how he works out, how he plays the game. This is his life, his job, his passion. You rarely see that in any player at all, for a guy that young to take it on like that."

Posey's brilliant 2010 postseason -- .288 average in 15 games with a majestic World Series homer in Texas -- was no surprise to those who'd seen him at Florida State.

"He owned the state -- him and [Tim] Tebow," Righetti said, grinning. "Buster's a legend in Florida."

Posey began catching, a position he'd never played, as a sophomore. He'd been drafted as a pitcher by the Angels out of Lee County (Georgia) High School but opted for FSU and shortstop, "because I love to hit."

John Barr, the Giants' scouting director, had followed Posey closely and was enamored of his talent and attitude. San Francisco is eternally grateful that four clubs passed on Posey in the 2008 First-Year Player Draft.

The Giants had been just as lucky two years earlier when nine teams, including his hometown Mariners, let Lincecum get away.

Here stands the foundation of a champion. Pitcher-catcher combo plates don't come any tastier than Lincecum-Posey.

I definitely like that article better than the one I linked. But the fact remains that Posey says his ankle still aches. I would much rather be safe than sorry with Posey. I would rather see him at 1B 2-3 days per week to start the season knowing that it will ease the pain he feels and will allow him to play every day.

Forcing him behind the plate 5 days per week because of Brandon Belt and Aubrey Huff is not a smart move for the future of the Giants. This kid is a winner and the team needs to look after his best interests.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cool, then we can have Brett Pill Day, where in one game he plays one inning at every position, like they did with Bert Campaneris years ago.

In all seriousness, however, Brett Pill is my candidate for Biggest Upside Surprise of 2012. Pure hunch and speculation on my part.

I think Pill could get some time at 2,3,5,7,9. I'd keep him out of the defense up the middle.