• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

some gems in today's Down Goes Brown

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Everything You Need to Know About NHL Free Agency - The Triangle Blog - Grantland

Unlike the NHL trade deadline, for which everyone in Canada just fakes sick to get the day off, the first day of unrestricted free agency is an actual Canadian holiday. July 1 is Canada Day, which is essentially the same thing as Independence Day in the United States, except we don’t pass out after drinking four light beers.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everything You Need to Know About NHL Free Agency - The Triangle Blog - Grantland

Unlike the NHL trade deadline, for which everyone in Canada just fakes sick to get the day off, the first day of unrestricted free agency is an actual Canadian holiday. July 1 is Canada Day, which is essentially the same thing as Independence Day in the United States, except we don’t pass out after drinking four light beers.

There are some other big names, even a few that could reasonably be called stars. But everyone else can be described as either “unproven” (i.e., bad), “veteran” (i.e., old), “really unproven” (i.e., terrible), or “enigmatic” (i.e., Russian). Or in some cases, a combination of all of the above.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

35n7ua.jpg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Old Chicago's having their American beer tour right now. If I drink the eight beers on the tour, I get a pretty nifty T-shirt. Unfortunately, two of the beers are Bud and PBR, and one of the craft brews sucked.

You can drink and get credit for four per visit, so on my first visit, I drank three beers, and then the Bud when I didn't think I could taste it anymore (not that I would have tasted it anyway). I'll do the same with the PBR and get my darned T-shirt.

Also, I used the word "suffer" when I ordered the Bud.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked the worth noting under Ray Whitney:

The league is trying to cut down on ridiculously back-loaded contracts that take a player well past the typical age of retirement, so they'll probably veto any Whitney deal longer than three weeks.

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The first rule of NHL free agency is you do not tamper with free agents. The second rule of NHL free agency is YOU DO NOT sign Russian goalies to $51 million deals. The third rule is also no tampering.

Aww...

mooger_35

my hatred for MY team clouds my judgement
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had a good chuckle remembering this incident...

Down Goes Brown: Great Obscure Moments in Leafs History - That time Pat Quinn screwed up the lineup card during a playoff game

The Leafs' starting lineup Bob Cole informs us that the Leafs are starting Lumme, Berg, Corson, Domi and "Healey", which might mean that Glenn just wandered by and Bob got confused but is probably referring to journeyman winger Paul Healey. Go back and read those names again. Is that the worst starting lineup in NHL playoff history? I think it might be.

I mean, the 2002 Toronto Maple Leafs not only had those five players in the lineup at the same time, but it actually seemed like a good idea to start them. How bad must the rest of the roster have been? Well, here are some other players who actually dressed for playoff games that year: Bob Wren, Jeff Farkas, Nathan Dempsey, and Don MacLean. And yet, that team still made the playoffs easily, and last year's Leafs missed by 12 points.

higgyfan4

Bossman you'll be missed
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neale clues in
Neale, figuring out that the Leafs may have an illegal lineup but incorrectly thinking that Ponikarovsky is the offending player, concludes his explanation by explaining what the Leafs will have to do next: "Then they undress Ponikarovsky ." In related news, my wife perks up and pays attention to a hockey game for the first time ever.

:lol:

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Down Goes Brown: A hockey fan's guide to the Summer Olympics

The Olympics: If a seemingly endless stream of teams are emerging one-by-one until over 200 have made an appearance, you are watching the "Parade of Nations" at the Opening Ceremonies.
The NHL: If a seemingly endless stream of teams are emerging one-by-one until over 200 of them have made an appearance, you are listening to Shane Doan's agent list the teams his client is currently negotiating with.

The Olympics: Organizers are counting on the efforts of thousands of volunteers who, despite being unpaid, have offered to work at the various events out of a sense of personal pride and civic duty.
The NHL: Gary Bettman just had a great idea for his next CBA proposal to Donald Fehr.

The Olympics: After years of competing in bikinis, this year the women's beach volleyball competitors have the option to wear long pants instead.
The NHL: The 1981-82 Philadelphia Flyers have just been informed that they'll have to give back their "Most disastrous decision to wear pants in sports history" trophy.

mooger_35

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
http://www.downgoesbrown.com/2012/08/nhl-2012-winners-losers-offseason.html

Winners: Montreal Canadiens – Assuming the lockout wipes out the first 70 games of next season, may finally get a full year out of Andrei Markov.

Loser: Tim Thomas – The Bruins’ lovable franchise player can’t shake the feeling that everyone has been acting weird around him ever since that day a giggling Tuukka Rask casually asked him what his Facebook password was.

Winners: Columbus Blue Jackets - Achieved their goal in the Rick Nash trade by acquiring multiple players who could immediately step in to play on the team’s top line, although in fairness they also could have accomplished that by randomly signing tenants from the local seniors’ home.

Loser: New York Islanders – Despite a handful of roster moves, still can’t reasonably be expected to compete in an Atlantic Division where every other team has the unfair advantage of getting to play multiple games against the New York Islanders.

Winners: Toronto Maple Leafs – Have kept essentially the same roster that’s best known for being incapable of winning a game after the all-star break, which is brilliant since this season won’t have one.

LOL

mooger_35

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
•"NHL Moments Live" is a new feature that promises to let fans relive the most memorable moments from recent seasons, which has Edmonton Oiler fans excited since previous versions of the game never included the draft lottery.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The game boasts an improved AI system that will allow the computer to adapt to your tendencies, meaning it will take three shifts for it to realize you've been using the same "swoop down the wing, spin around in the corner and then blindly throw it out front for a one-timer" move since NHL 94.

I still do this move :/

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
•"NHL Moments Live" is a new feature that promises to let fans relive the most memorable moments from recent seasons, which has Edmonton Oiler fans excited since previous versions of the game never included the draft lottery.

That's good stuff right there...