• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

some gems in today's Down Goes Brown

mooger_35

my hatred for MY team clouds my judgement
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol

Brilliant as always

Vancouver Canucks: I’ve never been able to get this one to work. Everything always seems fine, but at the very end when I go to serve it, everything crumbles. Then there’s usually a fire.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
30 Thoughts: Analytics say Oilers luck should turn - Sportsnet.ca

Friedman brings me comforting words from JD the Wizard:

Blue Jackets president John Davidson spoke to team majority owner John P. McConnell on Sunday. “He understands the situation,” Davidson said Monday. “When you’re not winning, people want you to sacrifice things to put on a Band-Aid. This is a full-fledged open wound, a Band-Aid doesn’t help.”

So, don’t expect Columbus to make silly, short-term moves. “There’s nothing you can do,” Davidson added. “The analogy I use is it’s like building a wall, one brick at a time. Now the wall is knocked over…is it doctors, trainers, conditioning, the coach? When you break down the injuries, none of these people are to blame. All of a sudden a tsunami hit us.”

If Davidson has one concern, it’s that the Blue Jackets “slipped with their work habits,” particularly in last Friday’s 5-0 loss to Vancouver. “We don’t want or like that. You could see how deflated we were when they made it 2-0. No matter where this goes, you have got to deal with it. You have to enjoy the battle.”

They did, gritting out a 2-1 home victory over Florida, a team that came in with only two regulation road losses.

Davidson had some great lines in this conversation. “We’re not in this position because we are a bad hockey club, but because everyone is hurt. We’ve been kicked right in the teeth. We’ll wait for them to heal, and then we’ll eat again.” I’m going to steal some of these.

I love that guy

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holland: Honestly, I was just here to tell you we like Jeff Blashill better.

Babcock: Well then.

Shanahan: Hey, that’s a great hire.

Holland: Thanks Brendan!

Shanahan (calmly): He’ll be a great coach for Dion Phaneuf.

excellent-4689_preview.png

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some good stuff today:

The NHLs IMDb Goofs Page

Continuity: In one scene, we meet a man who has just started a new job at the NHL head office after having been unemployed for several years. In the next scene, that same man is an active player who has just been traded to the Arizona Coyotes.

Incorrectly regarded as a goof: Many viewers claim that a shot by Sam Bennett during the second round of the playoffs was incorrectly ruled no-goal despite clearly crossing the goal line. However, these fans forgot about the addendum to the legal goal section of the rulebook that reads “Unless it’s an important playoff game and it’s the Flames, because screw those guys.”

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know, ever since the Flames defeated the Habs at the old Forum in Montreal for the Stanley Cup (only time Montreal has ever lost the Cup on home ice), the hockey gods have spited Calgary.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Know what's becoming more annoying than teams not publishing contract terms? Writers bitching about teams not publishing contract terms.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Down Goes Brown: Five games that changed NHL draft lottery history | The Hockey News

2004: Alex Ovechkin as a Columbus Blue Jacket

What actually happened: The race for last place came down to the wire, with the Penguins claiming the spot with 58 points. The Blackhawks and Capitals were next, tied with 59 points, with the Blackhawks taking second last spot on the tie-breaker and the Caps ending up third. The Blue Jackets weren’t far behind, finishing with 62 points.

The third slot was the lucky one. The Capitals had it, and moved up to first spot overall, where they took Ovechkin.

But change just one game: On February 27, the Blackhawks hosted the Blue Jackets in the back half of a home-and-home. Chicago had won the first game, and on this night they held a 3-2 lead midway through the third. But the Jackets came back, getting a late goal from Geoff Sanderson to tie the game and then the winner from Luke Richardson with less than three minutes left.

If the Blackhawks had held on for the regulation win, they would have finished the season with 61 points, while the Blue Jackets would have dropped to 60. That would have nudged the 59-point Caps up to second last, and left Columbus all alone holding the winning ticket in third spot.

By the way, that winning goal that ended up costing the Blue Jackets the chance to draft Ovechkin was the only one Richardson scored all season.

Great history the Jackets have of fucking themselves at the draft with improbable wins late in a season.

Also, Hawks have 3 cups since 2004 Draft, Pens have one and the Caps will likely have one soon. And then there's the Jackets.

Before you look, MacLean traded the 4th overall to Carolina (Andrew Ladd) and selected Alexandre Picard with the 8th. They also got the 59th pick with which they selected Kyle Wharton.

I fucking HATE Doug MacLean