• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

some gems in today's Down Goes Brown

IndyAndy

I can't reMember
Paddock Stand, Section 23, Row QQ, Seat 4
Hoopla Cash
$ 545.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

From the article:

Minnesota Wild

...But their strangest move was: Not doing anything (yet) to address the goaltending. That’s understandable in a sense, because they don’t know what the health status of Josh Harding or Niklas Backstrom will look like by training camp.

I hope that they're willing to give Kuemper a big, fat raise - & that he's ready to step up.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How did the Oilers escape the Bottom Feeders division?

mooger_35

my hatred for MY team clouds my judgement
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best case: They’re terrible and finish dead last.

Worst case: They’re not terrible and finish well out of last place. (No, we didn’t get those two sections mixed up. This is what happens when a franchise player comes along in a league that insists on rewarding failure with a better chance at high draft picks.)

Bold prediction: The Sabres wind up dead last and then lose the McDavid lottery to some team that finished 20 points ahead of them, because Buffalo.

LOL

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How did the Oilers escape the Bottom Feeders division?

Or the Leafs? How is it that everybody outside the city thinks this team is anything close to decent? I thought we were supposed to be the delusional ones...

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The offseason additions should outweigh the subtractions, key pieces like Tyler Myers should rebound from last season’s nightmare

I feel like they've recycled this line re: Myers for three years now.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also find it odd that the Yotes are dug that low (although he also states as much), given that they're basically using the same formula that the Preds did in the Suter-Weber years to make the playoffs and they usually succeeded in that during that era.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or the Leafs? How is it that everybody outside the city thinks this team is anything close to decent? I thought we were supposed to be the delusional ones...

I'll say this about the Leafs: They have some nice pieces, but they're a puzzling team. I think they just have guys that are uncomfortable in their roles. I see Kessel as a great complimentary player (much like Marian Hossa in Chicago). The Leafs ask Phil to drive the bus, but he doesn't have the right license. Hossa has Toews and Kane driving the bus in Chicago. On the backend, Duncan Keith makes Keith Seabrook look very good. Dion Phaneuf doesn't have anybody like that as of yet (although Morgan Rielly might be that guy one day down the road).

Last edited by a moderator:

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll say this about the Leafs: They have some nice pieces, but they're a puzzling team. I think they just have guys that are uncomfortable in their roles. I see Kessel as a great complimentary player (much like Marian Hossa in Chicago). The Leafs ask Phil to drive the bus, but he doesn't have the right license. Hossa has Toews and Kane driving the bus in Chicago. On the backend, Duncan Keith makes Keith Seabrook look very good. Dion Phaneuf doesn't have anybody like that as of yet (although Morgan Rielly might be that guy one day down the road).

Which is why they should dismantle and proceed with building through the draft. Instead, they give Celine another decade of being overpaid and keep Kessel around when they can't get him any actual first line talent to play with.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I know this isn't the popular opinion becuz ringzzzzz!!!!!, but I'd take Kessel over Kane. At the very least I'd say that there's very little separating the two.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this isn't the popular opinion becuz ringzzzzz!!!!!, but I'd take Kessel over Kane. At the very least I'd say that there's very little separating the two.

What do you mean onion ringzzz aren't popular???

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd say they're pretty similar too.

Kessel seems just as dangerous shift-to-shift as Kane to me. I'd start building a team just as readily around Kessel as Kane if I was in charge.

The Toews', Hossas, Sharps, Keiths and Seabrooks just represent a much better core that surrounds Kane than what Kessel has.

The supporting cast for Chicago, not to mention the coaching, is markedly better than what Toronto currently has too.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Both have one dimension to their game. It is a very, very good one dimension, but one nonetheless.

Said it a million times, I never minded the Kessel trade and I think over time it has proven that it was a very even one. I, and I think most Leaf fans, were always more furious that Burke had absolutely no plan as to how he was going to get a centre to play with Phil. Without that, there was never a point in expending those resources to get him here.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is briliant:

Toronto Maple Leafs

Last season: 36-24-8, 80 points, third in the East, home ice advantage for the first round of the playoffs, baby! … immediately followed by 2-12-0. The end result: 38-36-8, 84 points, 12th in the East, missed playoffs.