• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blade Runner?

You're going to be short on sci-fi material if you cut out that general theme.
I enjoyed Blade Runner. Have yet to see the new one though.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know perfectly well that It's not so all or nothing. When it hits the right spot, you don't even notice it, but when it's forced, it sticks out in an awkward way and that's what happened here. It doesn't make it a bad movie at all--it was good imo--but pretending it's not there doesn't help.
I can see when things get forced on us. I didn't see any forcing of identity politics in Solo AT ALL.

If Empire Strikes Back were made today, we'd be hearing the same bunch of people wailing and gnashing their teeth over Billy Dee's Lando as Identity Politics.

If it isn't all white men all the time, it's automatically Identity Politics.

Huge fucking universe with hundreds of different aliens, and some women and different races mix into the new Star Wars movies and your ability to suspend believe over magical laser sword space knights is now broken.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see when things get forced on us. I didn't see any forcing of identity politics in Solo AT ALL.
I think that was someone else's label. I think too much Girl Power was forced into the script.

If Empire Strikes Back were made today, we'd be hearing the same bunch of people wailing and gnashing their teeth over Billy Dee's Lando as Identity Politics.
If this was 1980 when ESB was released, you'd be close to having a point on this one.

Not for me. See above. The only thing we haven't seen so far is a female bad guy, but I'm sure that's coming eventually b/c you can only make white men the bad guys for so long (does Snoke count as grey?)

Huge fucking universe with hundreds of different aliens, and some women and different races mix into the new Star Wars movies and your ability to suspend believe over magical laser sword space knights is now broken.
I'm actually surprised we didn't see more aliens in the Disney SW movies. And I said the movie was good, but that something was overdone and awkward. I don't see why that would offend you.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm actually surprised we didn't see more aliens in the Disney SW movies. And I said the movie was good, but that something was overdone and awkward. I don't see why that would offend you.
My wife wants to believe Q'ira turns into a Sith.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't buy this, but its hard to deny the way Star Wars went about introducing Rey was all wrong. I have absolutely no problem with her being the lead, welcomed the idea in fact. I thought it was a fresh take on the story, particularly that of force-sensitive characters, but whoever is writing these things don't know what they're doing. They made her too perfect, she is virtually flawless at everything. She has no arc whatsoever, and the only possible arc they were playing for in TFA had its throat slashed by Rian Johnson in TLJ (what is Rey's lineage). They wanted to diversify, but at the same time, didn't want her to have any flaws either and that makes for a dull character. Even against her archenemy, she's never had so much as a struggle.

I don't have a problem at all with the diverse casting of Finn either, but the writers literally don't know what to do with him. He's played basically a sniveling coward for two movies, and his only real heroic act was interrupted by the most pointless character in all of SW (even Jar Jar served a purpose). Canto Bight was a waste of screen time, just to cram in how terrible rich people are. But I guess they had to give Finn something to do.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
mouthy female droid makes dirty jokes and crusades for "rights"

What was with those hips too. People couldn't figure out she was feminine by her voice? Do "female" droids need different hips from "male" ones?

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(1) A New Hope
(2) Rogue One
(3) Empire Strikes Back
(4) Revenge of the Sith
(5) The Force Awakens
(6) Return of the Jedi
(7) The Last Jedi
(8) Attack of the Clones
(9) Phantom Menace
(10) Solo

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(1) A New Hope
(2) Rogue One
(3) Empire Strikes Back
(4) Revenge of the Sith
(5) The Force Awakens
(6) Return of the Jedi
(7) The Last Jedi
(8) Attack of the Clones
(9) Phantom Menace
(10) Solo

Which one is Star Wars?

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(1) A New Hope
(2) Empire Strikes Back
(3) Rogue One
(4) Revenge of the Sith
(5) The Force Awakens
(6) Return of the Jedi
(7) The Last Jedi
(8) Attack of the Clones
(9) Phantom Menace
(10) Solo

I don't get how ROTS gets such high marks. Certainly the best of the prequels, but it had too many of the flaws Episodes I and II had.

(1) ESB
(2) ANH
(3) Rogue One
(4) TFA
(5) ROTJ
(6) ROTS
(7) Solo
(8) TPM
(9) TLJ
(10) AOTC

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bull fucking shit on the “frequency”excuse of why Soylo bombed.

If anyone not wearing hollywooed liberal echo chamber blinders was following the actual reviews from the actual fans during Last Jedis release and all these months leading up to Soylo, you knew this was a bomb waiting to happen.

Black Panther came out months ago. Theaters have like one showing a day of it or it’s out of theaters. Inifinity Wars was out weeks ago. Both films have 0 relationship to the Star Wars universe.

This has everything to do with Kathleen Kennedy and her minions making the disasterous decision of inserting their politics and social agendas into Star Wars. They insulted the majority of their customers by pandering to a minority that doesn’t even care about Star Wars. Has to be one of the worst business decisions in the history of the entertainment industry.

So then why didn't Black Panther bomb?

Just be logically consistent.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does Clint Eastwood dye his hair blue in any of his films?

Do you have anything remotely resembling a point? Maybe if you dyed it's hair blue?

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bingo. Marvel has no problem turning out 3 movies a year (while competing with WB/DC and Fox franchises).

On Solo I will say this. I went in with low expectations and it was a serviceable film. Probably 40th percentile of SW films. Could have done without the L3 droid and her bullshit. And Pando Calrissian is such a stupid and pointless take on the character. That said Donald Glover absolutely nails Billy Dee Williams’ voice and cadence for the character. Otherwise was fine.

Yeah, Glover nailed it. Sounded and even moved exactly like him

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sticks and stones. TLJ was a bad movie. I'm not Star Wars guy rushing out to see another one by the same writers.

So you're snowflaking. Hey, DON'T watch a movie if it's bad. Clint's latest was apparently shit, and I didn't bother seeing it.

But I WILL go to an Eastwood movie, if it's good.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(1) A New Hope
(2) Rogue One
(3) Empire Strikes Back
(4) Revenge of the Sith
(5) The Force Awakens
(6) Return of the Jedi
(7) The Last Jedi
(8) Attack of the Clones
(9) Phantom Menace
(10) Solo

There are 3 certains in life

Death
Taxes
Empire is the best of the Star Wars Movies

-Jon Stewart

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get how ROTS gets such high marks. Certainly the best of the prequels, but it had too many of the flaws Episodes I and II had.

I think ROTS gets too much criticism for being one of the prequels. On its own, I actually enjoyed it. Here are some of my favorite parts:

- Order 66 and the execution of many Jedi. Still one of my favorite scenes ever.
- The fight sequence between Obi-wan and Anakin.
- Having grown up on the original trilogy, ROTS tied everything together for me. I loved that. (Darth Vader's turn to the dark side, Darth Vader's suit, the Jedi being nearly extinct, the state of the galaxy, etc.)

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think ROTS gets too much criticism for being one of the prequels. On its own, I actually enjoyed it. Here are some of my favorite parts:

- Order 66 and the execution of many Jedi. Still one of my favorite scenes ever.
- The fight sequence between Obi-wan and Anakin.
- Having grown up on the original trilogy, ROTS tied everything together for me. I loved that. (Darth Vader's turn to the dark side, Darth Vader's suit, the Jedi being nearly extinct, the state of the galaxy, etc.)

All fair points.

My criticisms of it was way to much CGI. Anakin's turn still seemed to quick and forced (no pun intended). Hayden Christensen still whined the whole movie.

General Greivous was too ridiculous.

Padme's death was horribly done (she died of a broken heart, give me a break) and also created a major continuity error with Return of the Jedi (Leia having memories of her mother).

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now you're getting it.

You seem to be saying they're all going to be bad moving forward.

meh.

Clint still has one good film in him. If he does another good film, I'll shell out the money to see it.

Apparently that's too risky for you. You might see some feminist propaganda.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know perfectly well that It's not so all or nothing. When it hits the right spot, you don't even notice it, but when it's forced, it sticks out in an awkward way and that's what happened here. It doesn't make it a bad movie at all--it was good imo--but pretending it's not there doesn't help.

I have absolutely no idea what you are seeing. Let's review the characters here.

Main character - Male
Main sidekick - Male
Main muse/leader - Male
Main enemy - Male
Main comic adversary - Male
Love interest - Female
Joking pilot - Male
Muse/Leader's love interest who has slightly more than cameo role
Snake creature - Female voice
Droid - Female voice.
Pirate leader - female but sounded male most of the movie
Big bad guy - Male

In terms of lines this film was about 90% male.

But you think this movie is forcing identity politics into it?