• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what is really amazing about all of this. This whole SJW argument is based on the premise that women shouldn't really be in action movies. That's just strange.

No. Not women. Feminist politics.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What feminist politics? I'm honestly curious what feminist politics were in the last movie.

Solo? I didn't see it. But TLJ was written and directed by a proud feminist who has been open about implementing her political views in these films.

Some people think this may be why both films have not lived up to expectations.

Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy Says She Doesn't Need to Cater to Male Star Wars Fans

See. This movie is not made for me. No wonder it doesn't interest me. I'm a male.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Solo? I didn't see it. But TLJ was written and directed by a proud feminist who has been open about implementing her political views in these films.

Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy Says She Doesn't Need to Cater to Male Star Wars Fans

See. This movie is not made for me. No wonder it doesn't interest me. I'm a male.
Rian Johnson wrote and directed TLJ.

Same guy that wrote and directed Looper and Brick.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

but you didn't actually tell me what was the feminist agenda IN the movie. You simply said you don't like Kathleen Kennedy.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Produced. My mistake.
Lots of people 'produced' it. It wasn't just Kennedy.

Rian Johnson wrote and directed it. It was his movie.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the problem is that they overdid it by giving various minor characters to women while keeping all the major characters male?
Since one of the leads was a female, all the major characters were not male. Not to mention that considering the source material, 3 of the major characters HAD TO BE MALE—Han, Chewie, Lando. Since the story all but has to be built around those 3, you’ll have to Find a different straw to clutch.

I'm really not seeing it at all. I sorta get it with TFA and TLJ but it really doesn't make any sense here. Other than the obligatory love interest there are maybe 10 lines spoken by women and almost all of them are CGI characters.
Maybe you’ve been conditioned to think it’s normal no matter the context. Compare it to the original trilogy and you’ll see the difference. Then again, It was blatant in TLJ. It wasn’t so obvious in this movie, but it was there.

I just don't get why that matters to anyone.
It may matter to some. It only matters too me in that it was an awkward trend in the movie that seemed intentionally forced and out of place. Just a couple of those instances being absent and I doubt I’d have noticed it.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but you didn't actually tell me what was the feminist agenda IN the movie. You simply said you don't like Kathleen Kennedy.
Girls have cooties.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I did not like her work in TLJ. Therefore I don't have interest in Solo. Kathleen Kennedy might be a fun person. It's not personal. I'm just not her target audience (male Star Wars fan).

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Girls have cooties.

The females in Infinity War were cool. I like the Rey character.

The lady with purple hair and the heavier set Asian girl were lame as hell in TLJ.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Producers of Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Kathleen Kennedy
JJ Abrams
Lawrence Kasdan
Ram Bergman (came with Rian from other movies like Brick and Looper)
Simon Kinberg (Seems to do a lot of Comic book / Sci/Fi)

4 Men and 1 Woman.

And one male Writer Director.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of people 'produced' it. It wasn't just Kennedy.

Rian Johnson wrote and directed it. It was his movie.

Fine. I guess I don't like his movies either. Thanks for clearing it up.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suspect you're going in with an expectation and then confirmation bias is rearing it's ugly head. Every time you see someone with a vagina on the screen, you're checking off an internal checklist.
You’d be mistaken.

What FH and I are pointing out, is that you're ignoring all the male characters in the movie.
Not at all. As I said in response to FH, it’s a movie that has to feature 3 MALE characters. Those are the constants. That changes the weight given to the variables.

[If you want to argue that adding in more female roles is a bad thing, I guess you can. What % will satisfy you?
I made no such argument. I said the female spotlighting in this one was overdone.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did not like her work in TLJ. Therefore I don't have interest in Solo. Kathleen Kennedy might be a fun person. It's not personal. I'm just not her target audience (male Star Wars fan).
Look at that production history though....

Kathleen Kennedy (producer) - Wikipedia

That's a huge chunk of my cinematographic childhood.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at that production history though....

Kathleen Kennedy (producer) - Wikipedia

That's a huge chunk of my cinematographic childhood.

I was surprised too. I love the Goonies.

Here is a thread with back lash directed at Kathleen Kennedy. I just found it. I didn't read past the first few comments but apparently a lot of fans hold her responsible for the changes in these movies.

r/movies - Why are Star Wars fans so hostile towards Kathleen Kennedy and the Disney SW movies?

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a sci fi time jumping movie starring Bruce Willis.

Very macho.

I'll try to remember it next time I'm looking for a movie to watch. I tend to like Bruce Willis movies. I liked Unbreakable a lot.