• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's funny about that is that the canon HAS a guy who goes off alone to be a misanthrope. Yet that still wasn't enough for a lot of the fans.

Right, they had to SEARCH for him. Why?

But some momentary doubt in the 'should I kill Hitler before he gets going?' way, is a bridge too far.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or let themselves be triggered and melt as snowflakes. You forgot that one.

I guess that's me. Though I better describe it as being a person who doesn't relate to this:

plungesponge-b1uRE1htY-b.jpg

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m a big star wars fan. Movies, books, etc. Overall, it was a good movie. Better than I expected.

The twists at the end were nice. Nicely arranged/clarified/contextualized shooting first, the interaction between Lando and Han in ESB, as well as Han and Chewie and why Solo would be around Tattoine.

The droid was too much imo, as was L3’s freedom crusade bit. I also thought the movie tried too hard to inject female characters into the spotlight.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m a big star wars fan. Movies, books, etc. Overall, it was a good movie. Better than I expected.

The twists at the end were nice. Nicely arranged/clarified/contextualized shooting first, the interaction between Lando and Han in ESB, as well as Han and Chewie and why Solo would be around Tattoine.

The droid was too much imo, as was L3’s freedom crusade bit. I also thought the movie tried too hard to inject female characters into the spotlight.
There was all of one actual female main character who got significant time. There were other secondary characters, but why can't this be normal? Women exist.

Thandie Newton and Nest were the only other real female characters, and Newton really only had a bit part where she blew herself up.

Khalessi served a purpose of showing the origins of Han's learned personality of a selfish and distrusting scoundrel.

I really don't understand why anything but women as window dressing somehow automatically makes the movie forcing women into the spotlight, or 'Identity Politics.'

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good Flick, the Glover kid NAILED Lando. Even sounded exactly like him.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I were to rank the films I would probably go.

1. ESB
2. ANH
3. Last Jedi
4. Rogue One
5. Han Solo
6 Force Awkens
7. RoTJ
8-10 the prequels.

I'm with you on the top two but then I'd go:

(3) Revenge of the Sith.
(4) Return of the Jedi
(5) Rogue One
(6) Force Awakens
(7) The Force Awakens
(8) Han Solo
(9) Clones
(10) Phantom Menace

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First promo for (Han) Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018), just released during the Super Bowl:

I think Disney is going to milk every penny out of this franchise by releasing movie after movie with ever diminshing quality. Franchise should be dead in 3 years.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was all of one actual female main character who got significant time. There were other secondary characters, but why can't this be normal? Women exist.

Thandie Newton and Nest were the only other real female characters, and Newton really only had a bit part where she blew herself up.

Khalessi served a purpose of showing the origins of Han's learned personality of a selfish and distrusting scoundrel.

I really don't understand why anything but women as window dressing somehow automatically makes the movie forcing women into the spotlight, or 'Identity Politics.'

How do you know the alien beings weren't female? Huh?! The woman who blew herself up and the head of the pirates were also women with significant impact.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Disney is going to milk every penny out of this franchise by releasing movie after movie with ever diminshing quality. Franchise should be dead in 3 years.

Probably but the Boba Fett movie has serious potential. If they do the right thing and make it as dark as possible that is

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you know the alien beings weren't female? Huh?! The woman who blew herself up and the head of the pirates were also women with significant impact.
Touche' I don't know the gender of the aliens. L3-37 is also tangentally female, but I really wouldn't consider her anything but a secondary character.

The woman who blew herself up is Thandie Newton. The head of the pirates is Enfys Nest. I mentioned them. They were side characters.

The main characters of this movie were Han, Chewie, Woodie Harrelson, Lando and Mother of Dragons.

Of the 5, only one was a woman. And how dare they have other secondary female characters rounding out the film!

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably but the Boba Fett movie has serious potential. If they do the right thing and make it as dark as possible that is
Don't even do a prequel for him.

Start it out like this:

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Touche' I don't know the gender of the aliens. L3-37 is also tangentally female, but I really wouldn't consider her anything but a secondary character.

The woman who blew herself up is Thandie Newton. The head of the pirates is Enfys Nest. I mentioned them. They were side characters.

The main characters of this movie were Han, Chewie, Woodie Harrelson, Lando and Mother of Dragons.

Of the 5, only one was a woman. And how dare they have other secondary female characters rounding out the film!

I don't have an issue with the lack of women. It'll give family Guy one more thing to make fun of in the years to come. Plus, Han, Chewie and Lando were givens so there were really only 2 other main characters and one was a woman.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't even do a prequel for him.

Start it out like this:

That will work but a prequel seeing what happened between his father getting his head cut off and him becoming the most fearsome bounty hunter in the galaxy would work for me as well

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess that's me. Though I better describe it as being a person who doesn't relate to this:

plungesponge-b1uRE1htY-b.jpg

I can post thousands of photos of guys who are SW fans too. Why would you give a fuck? Shouldn't we be HAPPY that women are getting into sci-fi and fantasy, genres that historically were a sausage-fest?

I might meet a WOMAN at the comic-con?

Oh noes!

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a Westworld fan?
It was kind of slapstick, but then every droid in the SW universe is used for cantankerous sillyness.

Also, I was KIND OF disappointed that Solo ended the streak of R2 and C-3PO being in the Star Wars movies.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with you on the top two but then I'd go:

(3) Revenge of the Sith.
(4) Return of the Jedi
(5) Rogue One
(6) Force Awakens
(7) The Force Awakens
(8) Han Solo
(9) Clones
(10) Phantom Menace

To each their own but Return of the Jedi was not a very good movie IMO. It gets by because of the first two but to me it is only marginally better than Phantom Menace and much worse than any of the recent ones.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To each their own but Return of the Jedi was not a very good movie IMO. It gets by because of the first two but to me it is only marginally better than Phantom Menace and much worse than any of the recent ones.

I'm pretty interchangeable with 4 through 8.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty interchangeable with 4 through 8.

Fair enough.

I'm not a person that expects Star Wars films, or superhero films, to be great movies. As long as they are enjoyable that works for me.

Han Solo was enjoyable. Last Jedi was enjoyable, although they took suspension of disbelief to some extraordinary levels. That's all I ask for.