• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So...Shawn Thornton will probably need his own thread....

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thorty is getting 10+ for sure and deserves it.

Rinaldo and Neil are repeat offenders so that should have some bearing on length of suspension.

To the last bit, yup. Neal and Rinaldo both have a pretty extensive history with being dirty pricks. So less aggregious, but they clearly aren't learning their lesson..

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, the scale of bad goes:

1. Thornron - deserves 20 +
2. Neal - deserves about 10 games, IMO
3. Ronaldo - 4-6 games.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

3. Ronaldo - 4-6 games.

Only reason I say Rinaldo is worse than Neal is because people tackled Rinaldo and prevented anything worse. I'm pretty sure he would've beat (forget his name) into the ice repeatedly if he didn't get tackled.

The Neal shot is a total bull shit move though, no doubt. I hate that slimy fuck.

BF4L

Bruins homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was Orpiks hit on Eriksson a hit to the head?

Watching that slowed down video it does not look like his head hit the ice yet he is concussed..So how can that be a clean hit?

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

3. Ronaldo - 4-6 games.

LOL at my typo of Ronaldo instead of Rinaldo.

Just makes me picture Ronaldo playing in the NHL. Something tells me that wouldn't end well. :lol:

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See this is where I disagree with lots of people. That's a clean hit, but definitely has intent to injure. I don't see why everyone gets bent out of shape when guys have to answer the bell for clean but vicious hits? You're basically saying it's OK to injure my teammates as long as it's a clean hit. You'd think a team would want to stand up for each other regardless of how the guy got hurt. Take your 5 minutes +2 and a game (unless you're malkin) for instigating.

When did i say that?

I have no issue with Thorton sticking up for his teammates how he went about it the second time was plain out stupid.

Last edited by a moderator:

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL at my typo of Ronaldo instead of Rinaldo.

Just makes me picture Ronaldo playing in the NHL. Something tells me that wouldn't end well. :lol:

He would set a record for diving penalties, Kenny (lol)

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Watching that slowed down video it does not look like his head hit the ice yet he is concussed..So how can that be a clean hit?

You don't have to hit your head to be concussed. A whiplash type movement can do it, your brain knocks against the skull.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:L

I think Orpik did get part of his head but I think it's pretty common knowledge that concussions can be incurred without a blow to the head.

I've suffered one myself where, by all accounts, my head was never touched. They can easily be caused by rapid deceleration.

EDIT: and just out of curiosity what place does an open ice hit by Orpik on Eriksson have in a discussion about Shawn Thornton??

BF4L

Bruins homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Orpik did get part of his head but I think it's pretty common knowledge that concussions can be incurred without a blow to the head.

I've suffered one myself where, by all accounts, my head was never touched. They can easily be caused by rapid deceleration.

You don't have to hit your head to be concussed. A whiplash type movement can do it, your brain knocks against the skull.

Fair enough.

BF4L

Bruins homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

EDIT: and just out of curiosity what place does an open ice hit by Orpik on Eriksson have in a discussion about Shawn Thornton??

Cause Thornton challenged Orpik after and Orpik would not fight him. This is most likely why Thornton snapped.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just like the other said your head doesn't have to hit hard to get a concussion. Many factors could cause one but it is the jarring of the head that I thought was the main factor but I am no expert on them.

wings-pens2166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It was a clean hit and it doesn't look like a hit to the head to me. There doesn't need to be contact to a person's head to get concussed. a violent whiplash of the head can do it, especially those that are susceptible from previous concussion. wasn't Eriksson returning from one?

side note, my bataam son got knocked of his game yesterday with one....of course the dumbass did it to himself though. went to put the thunder hit on a kid along the boards, except the kid kinda duck and slipped by my son and he caught nothing but glass. his head hit the glass pretty hard and he was done....the dumbass!

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cause Thornton challenged Orpik after and Orpik would not fight him. This is most likely why Thornton snapped.

So what??!?!?

Because someone won't fight you it is somehow relevant to an assault that occurred many shifts later? If that is the kind of thing that is going to set a player off to act like Thornton did, then he has no place on a hockey rink. EVER.

What Orpik did earlier in the game has NO relevance to Thornton's pathetic act of thuggery.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To the last bit, yup. Neal and Rinaldo both have a pretty extensive history with being dirty pricks. So less aggregious, but they clearly aren't learning their lesson..

Neal has been suspended once in his career. 2gms in 2009 for boarding.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BF4L

Bruins homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what??!?!?

Because someone won't fight you it is somehow relevant to an assault that occurred many shifts later? If that is the kind of thing that is going to set a player off to act like Thornton did, then he has no place on a hockey rink. EVER.

What Orpik did earlier in the game has NO relevance to Thornton's pathetic act of thuggery.

Of course it does. I cannot recall any incident when Thornton just went out to injure someone. He has always played under the "code"

He broke that last night and will pay for it with a lengthy suspension.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course it does. I cannot recall any incident when Thornton just went out to injure someone. He has always played under the "code"

He broke that last night and will pay for it with a lengthy suspension.

None of this makes any sense. Who cares what Thornton has done in the past and who cares what Orpik did earlier in the game (which was deemed a clean hit, BTW). When Orpik was doing nothing Thornton attacked him from behind and gave him a head injury.

What you're saying is akin to saying that because Steve Moore had hit Naslund in a previous game and wouldn't fight Bertuzzi it somehow makes what Bertuzzi did less heinous. It didn't then and it doesn't for Thornton.

In fact if anything it only makes Thornton's actions more deplorable because a case can be convincingly made that his attack was a premeditated act of of retribution.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See this is where I disagree with lots of people. That's a clean hit, but definitely has intent to injure. I don't see why everyone gets bent out of shape when guys have to answer the bell for clean but vicious hits? You're basically saying it's OK to injure my teammates as long as it's a clean hit. You'd think a team would want to stand up for each other regardless of how the guy got hurt. Take your 5 minutes +2 and a game (unless you're malkin) for instigating.

You shouldn't have to fight for laying a clean hit though. Injuries happen, and concussions can happen with much lesser hits than that. I understand Thornton being upset, but that doesn't mean Orpik HAS to fight. That argument was made by a lot of people..."Oh, he could've avoided this if he wasn't a pussy and fought like a man." No. That's like asses that claim women who look attractive are asking to be raped. No. This is why the "code" is a complete joke. There's no code. Or there's just no "honorable" guys out there to follow it.

BF4L

Bruins homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of this makes any sense. Who cares what Thornton has done in the past and who cares what Orpik did earlier in the game (which was deemed a clean hit, BTW). When Orpik was doing nothing Thornton attacked him from behind and gave him a head injury.

What you're saying is akin to saying that because Steve Moore had hit Naslund in a previous game and wouldn't fight Bertuzzi it somehow makes what Bertuzzi did less heinous. It didn't then and it doesn't for Thornton.

In fact if anything it only makes Thornton's actions more deplorable because a case can be convincingly made that his attack was a premeditated act of of retribution.

Ok I guess you cannot see my point. I am done.

What Thornton did was wrong. Was it the worst thing that I have seen in hockey? Not a chance. Should he get suspended Yes he should.