• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So...Shawn Thornton will probably need his own thread....

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
seems like opinions vary, from guys who actually play or played to those who sit on the internet and chat about it

It also seems like the guy's at the NHL office, including that guy that played the game and is in charge of discipline is taking their time chatting about it as well. I read on TSN longer is not always better and they may be looking to set an example here. But then again we also know that some guy's that play the game or have played the game can be idiots as well. Opinions do vary Thorntons should count and he said what he did was wrong.

Maybe if the suspension is long enough he can sit and join us in the chat. :yahoo:

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cmon, hasnt he suffered enough? Time served?

I feel bad for the Bruins, how are they going to replace his 8 minutes per game and his 3 points this season.

They can trade him to us for Scott? On second thought we'll just send them Scott and they can deal with one more idiot.

bt08

Hoopla Cash
$ 788.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So which one are you?

I've played hockey, at all kinds of different competitive levels, for more than 30 years now.

Cam Janssen is just moaning about players who can do something other than get punched in the head for a living. Without fighting he'd be digging a ditch as we speak. Is there any wonder he's advocating (I use this word in the loosest possible sense) that more people fight in the NHL?

both actually and I think he should be suspended but this was no where near as bad as lots of folks here made it out to be

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
both actually and I think he should be suspended but this was no where near as bad as lots of folks here made it out to be

Maybe this will help.... From TSN.

Many have asked: why on earth is it taking so long to announce Shawn Thornton's suspension?

On December 7, Thornton pulled Brooks Orpik to the ice from behind and punched him a few times in the face for good measure. Orpik was taken off on a stretcher, and having suffered a concussion, hasn't played since the incident. The scene was reminiscent of Tie Domi on Ulf Samuelsson, and to a lesser extent Marty McSorley and Todd Bertuzzi. Thornton's hearing will be Friday, almost a full week after the incident.

It's not a surprise this one is taking time. The weight of the NFL concussion lawsuits, the recently filed NHL concussion class action and the Boogaard lawsuit are likely weighing heavily on the decision making process. The league may be looking at this one very carefully to ensure they send the right message, not only to players, parents and fans, but also to potential jurors. And that message is this: we are taking all reasonable steps to ensure the safety of our players. The league will want to be seen as being proactive when it comes to protecting the brains of players, and that means firmly addressing unnecessary risk on the ice. Hockey is an inherently dangerous sport and that will never change. Still, contact that is not part of the game will be scrutinized.

It seems unlikely that NHL vice-president of player safety Brendan Shanahan will be working alone on this suspension. This will be a group effort with lawyers intimately involved. This incident raises complex legal issues and will be considered with care. Ultimately, the suspension is less a hockey decision and more a legal decision.

The rest is here. This IS a big deal................

Legal Look: Why the delay on the Thornton suspension?

bt08

Hoopla Cash
$ 788.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe this will help.... From TSN.

Many have asked: why on earth is it taking so long to announce Shawn Thornton's suspension?

On December 7, Thornton pulled Brooks Orpik to the ice from behind and punched him a few times in the face for good measure. Orpik was taken off on a stretcher, and having suffered a concussion, hasn't played since the incident. The scene was reminiscent of Tie Domi on Ulf Samuelsson, and to a lesser extent Marty McSorley and Todd Bertuzzi. Thornton's hearing will be Friday, almost a full week after the incident.

It's not a surprise this one is taking time. The weight of the NFL concussion lawsuits, the recently filed NHL concussion class action and the Boogaard lawsuit are likely weighing heavily on the decision making process. The league may be looking at this one very carefully to ensure they send the right message, not only to players, parents and fans, but also to potential jurors. And that message is this: we are taking all reasonable steps to ensure the safety of our players. The league will want to be seen as being proactive when it comes to protecting the brains of players, and that means firmly addressing unnecessary risk on the ice. Hockey is an inherently dangerous sport and that will never change. Still, contact that is not part of the game will be scrutinized.

It seems unlikely that NHL vice-president of player safety Brendan Shanahan will be working alone on this suspension. This will be a group effort with lawyers intimately involved. This incident raises complex legal issues and will be considered with care. Ultimately, the suspension is less a hockey decision and more a legal decision.

The rest is here. This IS a big deal................

Legal Look: Why the delay on the Thornton suspension?

yup, thats the world we live in these days. Former players suing leagues for health issues they incur after playing a very physical game that they were getting paid very well to do. So now everything that happens in a game can be over scrutinized to death. Sounds like a way to line lawyers pockets some more.:rollseyes:

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yup, thats the world we live in these days. Former players suing leagues for health issues they incur after playing a very physical game that they were getting paid very well to do. So now everything that happens in a game can be over scrutinized to death. Sounds like a way to line lawyers pockets some more.:rollseyes:

He was playing Hockey, not Grand Theft Auto!

783759-shawn-thornton-bruins-assailli-violemment.jpg

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The mistake you make is labelling this as something they happened IN a game. This didnt happen during the course of the gameplay.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Beyond the above comments, how much they get paid is irrelevant. If there was something the league could (and should) have been doing to make the game safer, to improve the quality of their health after playing for the league, being the personnel who accounted for the majority of the revenue generated for the league, they have every right to sue when the league failed to adequately protect them.

There are a lot of dangerous jobs, but employers for those jobs are required by law (rightfully so) to limit those risks to the best of their abilities, whether it be by developing, using, and maintaining the safest possible machinery and equipment, not making employees work under dangerous conditions like hazardously inclement weather, assigning hours appropriately to help employees avoid unnecessary and harmful exhaustion, training the employees extensively in safety and proper use of equipment, etc. Sports should not be exempt from these requirements. Hockey players entertain us, but they do not exist entirely for our entertainment, and regardless of salary, they are entitled to the safety precautions to which each of us are.

So yeah, these are the times we live in. And this is not a bad thing, because the people with power are being held accountable for the results of the use of that power.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stop already.

The Penguins have had plenty of cheap shots on that team.

Sick of the Pens fans crying that this is the worst thing they have ever seen and such. Go back and watch Cooke end Savard forever. No penalty and no suspension..Give me a fucking break.

Savard played in the NHL after the Cooke hit and......... AT THE TIME what Cooke did was deemed legal in the NHL. Therefore no penalty, no suspension.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it's because I'm in sports medicine, or maybe it's because I can't remove my teams bias (though I promise you I'd feel the same if this were the other way around or any other team), but I can't understand people blaming Orpik or passing this off as "just hockey". Nothing's gonna change that.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Savard played in the NHL after the Cooke hit and......... AT THE TIME what Cooke did was deemed legal in the NHL. Therefore no penalty, no suspension.

Let's not even get into that fight...sure the deluded league thought it was fine (just like the Emery "fight" was), but it was a dirty freaking play. An incredibly irrelevant dirty freaking play.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too me, dirty = against the rules.

Was it a needless play....absolutely. Not condoning what Cooke did whatsoever.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well...I whole heartedly disagree. There's a lot of sneaky dirty crap that exists in the league that goes uncalled, most of which involve rules, not too many loop holes any longer.

BF4L

Bruins homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So which is it? One post you proclaim it was "legal" then the next you do not condone of it.

W/E

If the NHL goes more then 10 on Thronton it is a joke..Make a example of repeat offenders that DESERVE IT not the guy who had a brain cramp and made a mistake. Must I remind you that in Shawn Thorntons NHL life he has never been suspended.

BF4L

Bruins homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cooke's headshot on Savard specifically targeted the head and the head alone coming from Savard's blind side, a hit that was not technically illegal at the time and thus did not earn Cooke a suspension. However, there is no arguing that Cooke's hit was vicious and completely unnecessary, and as a result, there are now rules against it.

Cmon Penguin fans please tell me where I am wrong...yet again. Mario the hypocrite defended this POS. Some of you (not all) defended this POS.

Now lets make a example of Thornton..give me a break

BF4L

Bruins homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cooke's headshot on Savard specifically targeted the head and the head alone coming from Savard's blind side, a hit that was not technically illegal at the time and thus did not earn Cooke a suspension. However, there is no arguing that Cooke's hit was vicious and completely unnecessary, and as a result, there are now rules against it.

So was Orpik just making a clean hit?

Seems we have been down this road before with the Penguins.

Sure by definition it is a clean hit. In realty???