• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So...Shawn Thornton will probably need his own thread....

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's actually been longer than that. The above referenced fight with Bertuzzi was a pre-season game.

Orpik hasn't been in a regular season fight since the year the Pens won the cup in 08-09.

Brooks Orpik - hockeyfights.com

Just one more reason to get rid of fighting! Don't let the Pens win the cup!

:yahoo:

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Character Assassination of Brooks Orpik | The Hockey Writers

Really, really, really good points. I don't think anyone here really mischaracterized Orpik, but people were, and it's highly unfair. He's physical, but not an instigator, or cheap, or a fighter...by any means. Can't remember the last time he fought.

I can't say I've ever thought of Orpik as anything but a solid, physical defenseman. I can't say I can remember a dirty hit from the guy, and if anyone would be biased against a Penguin, it would be me. ;)

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't say I've ever thought of Orpik as anything but a solid, physical defenseman. I can't say I can remember a dirty hit from the guy, and if anyone would be biased against a Penguin, it would be me. ;)

He broke Erik Cole's neck on a dirty hit.

Not that that has any relevance here.

MRVegas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I'M getting old and certainly not a Bruin fan, the result of the Thornton play was 10x worse than the action. The action was not called for but short jabs to the face with your glove on happens virtually every game I've ever seen. Geez even sometimes they bareknuckle brawl lol......and everyone is fine.

The result of this was bad, but this was no Teddy Green, no Willie Plett, no Dale Hunter, no Marty McSorley, no Todd Bertuzzi.....not even close to as bad, just the result - and Thornton has to pay for that. Anything more than 10 games and I'd be surprised.

BF4L

Bruins homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I'M getting old and certainly not a Bruin fan, the result of the Thornton play was 10x worse than the action. The action was not called for but short jabs to the face with your glove on happens virtually every game I've ever seen. Geez even sometimes they bareknuckle brawl lol......and everyone is fine.

The result of this was bad, but this was no Teddy Green, no Willie Plett, no Dale Hunter, no Marty McSorley, no Todd Bertuzzi.....not even close to as bad, just the result - and Thornton has to pay for that. Anything more than 10 games and I'd be surprised.

If Neal got 5 then I am ok with 10.

The only difference is Orpik is hurt and Marchand is not and as many have said that should not matter but it will.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There is a significant difference between throwing jabs a guy who's on his feet and facing you than doing the same to a guy you just took down from behind with a slew-foot who has the back of his head pressed against the ice, bare knuckles or not.

BF4L

Bruins homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a significant difference between throwing jabs a guy who's on his feet and facing you than doing the same to a guy you just took down from behind with a slew-foot who has the back of his head pressed against the ice, bare knuckles or not.

Stop already.

The Penguins have had plenty of cheap shots on that team.

Sick of the Pens fans crying that this is the worst thing they have ever seen and such. Go back and watch Cooke end Savard forever. No penalty and no suspension..Give me a fucking break.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sick of the Pens fans crying that this is the worst thing they have ever seen and such. Go back and watch Cooke end Savard forever. No penalty and no suspension..Give me a fucking break.

Yeah, how dare they talk about what happened in the actual game, instead of throwing red herrings all over the place.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stop already.

You're quite a comedian.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stop already.

I never said it was the worst thing I've ever seen, but it was a non-hockey attack on an unaware--and thus defenseless--player. It is an inherently egregious offense.

I do not qualify my sentiments within the context of the inconsistent and incompetent NHL disciplinary system, because I prefer to contextualize my arguments in intelligent ways. Unfortunately for me and my arguments, the NHL is both entirely incompetent when dealing with these sorts of things and simultaneously the authoritative voice on them.

Cooke on Savard was a vicious hit. It was a hit which largely created the current bumbling attempts at increasing player safety through increased discipline for hits targeting the head. A previous--and perhaps even more incompetent--chief of NHL disciplinary action was involved in that decision. Not suspending Cooke was the wrong choice. It was made by a man who is no longer employed in the business of making those decisions. It was also made before several rule changes related to those sorts of hits.

It happened many years ago. Cooke is no longer a Penguin. The NHL disciplinary process has changed, and there are different people in charge of it. That play bears no relevance whatsoever to this discussion. Even if it did bear relevance to this discussion, Cooke's actions can and should in no way dictate my own opinions and the validity of those opinions, so you cannot use those actions to marginalize me (or any other Penguins fan, for that matter) as a member of this discussion.

I am on very public record (my posts in this website) saying James Neal's suspension was largely insufficient. I have shown time and again to be able to make at least reasonably unbiased arguments about issues in the league and on the ice, even when my team is involved.

So no, I will not give you a break. I don't have to.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jesus let it go already the world is not out to get you !!!!!!!

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L

Go make a gif

bruins_head_coach_claude_julien_is_not_pleased_with_the_call_on_the_ice-38577.gif

wings-pens2166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stop already.

wow, that's quite the persecution-complex you've got going on there