• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So...Shawn Thornton will probably need his own thread....

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. In fact, I just heard that the Doctors discovered a life threatening tumor in Orpik's brain when they were scanning him. They are going to be able to remove it with surgery, and he will suffer no long term effects.

How Thornton knew to skate up behind him, slew foot him, and bash his head with his fist would save his life, I have no idea?

The NHL needs more heroes like Thornton.

Just throwing it out there... but Thornton for the Nobel as well?

bt08

Hoopla Cash
$ 788.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. In fact, I just heard that the Doctors discovered a life threatening tumor in Orpik's brain when they were scanning him. They are going to be able to remove it with surgery, and he will suffer no long term effects.

How Thornton knew to skate up behind him, slew foot him, and bash his head with his fist would save his life, I have no idea?

The NHL needs more heroes like Thornton.

yeah and John Scott

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh-Boy-here-we-go-again.jpg

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just throwing it out there... but Thornton for the Nobel as well?

I heard Obama is giving his to him.

yeah and John Scott

C'mon now, you can do better than bring up John Scott just because he plays for the Sabres and I happen to be a Sabres fan. What other reason would you have to bring him up in this discussion?

He has nothing to do with what happened or anything relating directly to the actual players involved.

Might as well just come over here and kick my dog while you're at it.

bt08

Hoopla Cash
$ 788.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard Obama is giving his to him.

C'mon now, you can do better than bring up John Scott just because he plays for the Sabres and I happen to be a Sabres fan. What other reason would you have to bring him up in this discussion?

He has nothing to do with what happened or anything relating directly to the actual players involved.

Might as well just come over here and kick my dog while you're at it.

correct me if I'm wrong but anytime a Bruin does anything wrong I can find you posting. Shawn Thornton has 2 Stanley Cup rings and has been a respected player in this league for some time now. So he punched a guy on his way down, I've NEVER seen that before:L. Orpik is fine and flew home with the team. Yeah lets suspend Thornton 10 games at least, then all the Euro hockey fans will feel so much better

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
correct me if I'm wrong but anytime a Bruin does anything wrong I can find you posting. Shawn Thornton has 2 Stanley Cup rings and has been a respected player in this league for some time now. So he punched a guy on his way down, I've NEVER seen that before:L. Orpik is fine and flew home with the team. Yeah lets suspend Thornton 10 games at least, then all the Euro hockey fans will feel so much better

Not respectable anymore.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Are you saying that I can't have an opinion on something that takes place in the NHL on a message board talking about all things Hockey? Or are you saying that all my posts on here are only critical of the Bruins and what they have done?

The fact that you are downplaying the actions of Thornton just because he has a couple of rings is laughable. Yeah, I'm sure your basis on this has nothing to do with him playing for the team you root for? I'm sure if the roles were reversed, you would say nothing but nice things about Orpik, and say it's really not that big of a deal?

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
correct me if I'm wrong but anytime a Bruin does anything wrong I can find you posting. Shawn Thornton has 2 Stanley Cup rings and has been a respected player in this league for some time now. So he slewfooted a guy who was engaged, punched a guy on his way down, punched a guy while he was lying down and then punched his head into the ice for good measure. I've NEVER seen that before:L. Orpik is fine and flew home with the team. Yeah lets suspend Thornton 10 games at least, then all the Euro hockey fans will feel so much better

FTFY for you drunken Grapes.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will get suspended for a long time.... He did appologize after but that shouldn't matter, he was wrong.... It's amazing that more of these incidents don't occur when players fight.

So why don't the officials stop plays BEFORE they go down on the ice then? (This play not withstanding as no one could have stopped it).

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those pads aren't soft in the least. I'd say it's lucky that Marchand wasn't concussed.
The contact was soft. Neal was coasting and not in stride when contact was made. Didn't look like contact was hard enough to cause a concussion

That's all I'm saying.

MRVegas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw all of this for the 1st time. I have to admit, wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. Jabs to the face happen every game and if Orpik isn't hurt it is a minor penalty to Thornton. Orpik like Erickson has had concussions and I think that was a major factor.

Orpik isn't blameless here either. He is willing to step up with big hits (he hit Erickson early and knocked him out of game, Erickson recently back from concussion yet no penalty called) but wasn't willing to answer the bell. IMO that is cowardice......punching a guy while he is down and can't protect himself like Thornton did is also cowardice. Both victims were hurt and didn't play again, Thornton was premeditated and result was scary, he'll get suspended for a while for sure. But lets be honest, Orpik brought that upon himself- Thornton crossed the line too much.

I personally thought the Neal play was the worst. He makes it to look like he wasn't looking but it is obvious to me it was very intentional. I find a purposeful knee to the head far worse than jabs to a face. The Bruin that was hit (sorry didn't catch who it was) could have easily been carried out on a stretcher too.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has Dr. Mark Recchi chimed in yet?

BF4L

Bruins homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really, long story short:

I don't think it's realistic to expect teammates to react differently to their teammate being knocked out based on legality of the hit. Especially considering they probably can't see the hit with every angle and slow MO that we can with highlights. If it's even remotely questionable, and a guy gets hurt, expect to drop the gloves, and drop the gloves. End it then and there. It's the safest way to handle it.

I guess in a round about way that was what I was saying. I am not one that wants fighting out of the game. If your gonna throw a blasting hit like that you need to man up and defend yourself not skate away.

Clean hit or not you knock a guy out like that you have to expect a reaction. If you choose to not engage that challenge you can certainly expect that guys will try and take liberties on you.

I believe in my heart that Shawn Thornton who has been a outstanding player for the Bruins did not intentionally try and hurt the guy. He has never been suspended. He plays the game in the code of enforcers.

He lost his mind last night. He made a terrible choice. He was dead wrong. He admitted it and if you watch that interview and think he is not really hurting for doing this you are wrong.

Once Shanny drops the bomb I would not be surprised if it is 10+ or even 20 games. What he did is wrong.

What many others have done time after time have been handed down far less suspensions. Fo0r those that say this was the most horrible thing they have ever seen..I would say get a grip cause this is far from the worst thing that has happened in old NHL and recent NHL.

BF4L

Bruins homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough, hopefully Thornton gets 40 games, so we can put this crap to rest. That crap wasn't hockey, Thornton has made a living being a shitty hockey player and a good fighter, he fucked up.

Hopefully his career ends because of this, just like the incident on Long Island that ended the career of that scumbag Trevor Gillies a few years ago.

Umm Matt Cooke? Ulf ?
Hypocrite much like your GM

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok after some time to digest:

Neal deserves 6, will likely get 2.

Thornton deserves 30+, will likely get 10. He slew footed a guy from behind who and then punched him a bunch while he was down. Cowardice personified. Bitch move.

If you lay someone out legally, you are not required to fight. That's moronic as fuck.

Fighting is not "part of hockey." It is part of North American hockey and an ever decreasing part of that.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok after some time to digest:

Neal deserves 6, will likely get 2.

Thornton deserves 30+, will likely get 10. He slew footed a guy from behind who and then punched him a bunch while he was down. Cowardice personified. Bitch move.

If you lay someone out legally, you are not required to fight. That's moronic as fuck.

Fighting is not "part of hockey." It is part of North American hockey and an ever decreasing part of that.

Agree on everything except the numbers. I think Neal deserves 10, but will get 2. I wouldn't be surprised at 3-4. I agree Thornton deserves 30 or so, but I do think he'll get somewhere between 12 and 20. There's a lot of extra surrounding this with the concussion suit and the comparisons drawn to the Bertuzzi incident which I think will amplify the suspension above what the league usually does, but not quite to the deserved penalty.