• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So...Shawn Thornton will probably need his own thread....

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want Giroux making hits like that. For that exact reason. Good hard hits on players that have the puck and their head up, yes. Knocking Crosby on his rear end a couple years ago was great.

But if it's of questionable legality at full speed and potentially in the peripheral vision of goons like Thornton, I don't want him to make the hit.

Not what I was asking, what if he did lay a hit, and Thornton decided it was over the line? You want him to man up and take the beating?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll agree to disagree because that isn't an outcome I want see.

Orpik isn't a goon. He shouldn't be expected to fight a low-skill 4th line fighter because he laid a heavy body check. And he shouldn't be required to think he can't hit and play his position of defense because he doesn't want to fight. That's how people do get injured, or get beaten...by overthinking, instead of reacting.

I hear you. I just think that type of hit is unnecessary. He can lay big hits all he wants, it just depends on the situation. At the offensive blue line on a guy that just missed a pass, isn't a hit that needs to be made for orpik to have a successful defensive shift.

And I agree, orpik isn't a goon. I actually like orpik for the most part. As far as pens go anyway.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not what I was asking, what if he did lay a hit, and Thornton decided it was over the line? You want him to man up and take the beating?

I think my answer is still relevant because I've been saying, 'if you don't want the fight, don't make the check' all afternoon.

But if the check is made, then yes. I'd want Giroux to stand in and take his beating. Certainly better than getting slew footed and pummeled later in the game. And unfortunately I think those are the options in today's nhl. Until shanny and co. sack up and levy heavy enough suspensions to get that shit out of the game.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think my answer is still relevant because I've been saying, 'if you don't want the fight, don't make the check' all afternoon.

But if the check is made, then yes. I'd want Giroux to stand in and take his beating. Certainly better than getting slew footed and pummeled later in the game. And unfortunately I think those are the options in today's nhl. Until shanny and co. sack up and levy heavy enough suspensions to get that shit out of the game.

Fair enough, hopefully Thornton gets 40 games, so we can put this crap to rest. That crap wasn't hockey, Thornton has made a living being a shitty hockey player and a good fighter, he fucked up.

Hopefully his career ends because of this, just like the incident on Long Island that ended the career of that scumbag Trevor Gillies a few years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear you. I just think that type of hit is unnecessary. He can lay big hits all he wants, it just depends on the situation. At the offensive blue line on a guy that just missed a pass, isn't a hit that needs to be made for orpik to have a successful defensive shift.

And I agree, orpik isn't a goon. I actually like orpik for the most part. As far as pens go anyway.

I don't know about that. Even if Eriksson missed the pass, he would have had a step and momentum on Orpik going the other way. Orpik made sure he didn't get that chance. Orpik's best skill is hitting. And while he's a good skater, it would have taken some recovery to get back on Eriksson, and it was just the safer play to stop the rush before it even started.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough, hopefully Thornton gets 40 games, so we can put this crap to rest. That crap wasn't hockey, Thornton has made a living being a shitty hockey player and a good fighter, he fucked up. H

opefully his career ends because of this, just like the incident on Long Island that ended the career of that scumbag Trevor Gillies a few years ago.

I'll be shocked if he gets anything over 10 games for his actions. The league has no balls/brains.

It's either that, or old guard owners that refuse to allow the league to move forward really do have guys like Bettman and Shanny in their hip pocket.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough, hopefully Thornton gets 40 games, so we can put this crap to rest. That crap wasn't hockey, Thornton has made a living being a shitty hockey player and a good fighter, he fucked up.

Hopefully his career ends because of this, just like the incident on Long Island that ended the career of that scumbag Trevor Gillies a few years ago.

Amen.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be shocked if he gets anything over 10 games for his actions. The league has no balls/brains.

It's either that, or old guard owners that refuse to allow the league to move forward really do have guys like Bettman and Shanny in their hip pocket.

Yeah, I agree, it's not gonna happen, but it should.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about that. Even if Eriksson missed the pass, he would have had a step and momentum on Orpik going the other way. Orpik made sure he didn't get that chance. Orpik's best skill is hitting. And while he's a good skater, it would have taken some recovery to get back on Eriksson, and it was just the safer play to stop the rush before it even started.

Alright I'll concede that it's tough to know what would've happened if he doesn't make the hit.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Thornton gets 12. That's my guess.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Thornton gets 12. That's my guess.

That's what I hope Neal gets.

I'm hoping it's at least double that for Thornton.

There is no place in hockey for the shit show that went on last night.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what I hope Neal gets.

I'm hoping it's at least double that for Thornton.

There is no place in hockey for the shit show that went on last night.

Those sound good to me.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish the league took slew foots seriously in general. They happen far too often. Supposed to be a major penalty, but they're generally just called a trip. They're one of the nastiest things you can do on the ice.

bt08

Hoopla Cash
$ 788.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3-2 Bruins, great last 2 minute come back. This Thornton talk is trivial. Its a tough game..always has been. Bruins lost 2 players last night and were lucky Marchand wasn't concussed. Some of you guys need to concentrate on European hockey.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3-2 Bruins, great last 2 minute come back. This Thornton talk is trivial. Its a tough game..always has been. Bruins lost 2 players last night and were lucky Marchand wasn't concussed. Some of you guys need to concentrate on European hockey.

I don't condone what Neal did, but a soft-non- striding knee (with padding) to a player's head, who's wearing a helmet and who's face / head never touched the ice?

You're reaching, man.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pretty hard to argue with this kind of insightful analysis.

I am convinced Sir!!! Thornton for the Hart, Selke, Lady Byng and Masterton!!!

To the engravers!!

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't condone what Neal did, but a soft-non- striding knee (with padding) to a player's head, who's wearing a helmet and who's face / head never touched the ice?

You're reaching, man.

Knee pads are hard, and no player wears his helmet correctly, so they actually are lucky he's not concussed.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You're reaching, man.

Those pads aren't soft in the least. I'd say it's lucky that Marchand wasn't concussed.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty hard to argue with this kind of insightful analysis.

I am convinced Sir!!! Thornton for the Hart, Selke, Lady Byng and Masterton!!!

To the engravers!!

I agree. In fact, I just heard that the Doctors discovered a life threatening tumor in Orpik's brain when they were scanning him. They are going to be able to remove it with surgery, and he will suffer no long term effects.

How Thornton knew to skate up behind him, slew foot him, and bash his head with his fist would save his life, I have no idea?

The NHL needs more heroes like Thornton.