• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So now who do the 9ers have to beat to prove they are for real?

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree he is more of a game manager than a franchise guy...and crunch time is typically what separates the franchise QBs from all the rest.

On his last series...1st pass was tipped at the line, second one off the hands of the WR...the 3rd,we can debate if that was the best decision or not but I have to give him credit for taking the deep shot one on one...threw a great ball...CB just made a better play.

I think you can win big games with JimmyG with that kind of team around him but he’s not an upper tier QB even if his bank acct says otherwise.

I'm not worried about him. Anyone can have a bad game. He bears some of the responsibility for the loss, of course, but his receivers had numerous drops and the OL was not good, and yet he put them in position to tie at the end of regulation and to win in OT.

Supposedly, the Seahawks LB's Bobby Wagner and K.J. Wright had picked up on Jimmy G's checks, according to them. Definitely something for the Niners to think about moving forward.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Care to do the same breakdown on the prior series? Where all those balls went right to Seattle defenders that couldn't bring in what would have been game winning interceptions? He wasn't good in crunch time.

Oh...not really...I don’t think I suggested he was good...he wasn’t..but for the sake of accuracy those passes were not terrible.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not worried about him. Anyone can have a bad game. He bears some of the responsibility for the loss, of course, but his receivers had numerous drops and the OL was not good, and yet he put them in position to tie at the end of regulation and to win in OT.

Supposedly, the Seahawks LB's Bobby Wagner and K.J. Wright had picked up on Jimmy G's checks, according to them. Definitely something for the Niners to think about moving forward.

Mistakes are part of the game...Both QBs made some...WRs dropped balls, etc..at the end of the day the more seasoned QB made the plays at the end. Jimmy will learn from it and be better in the next tight game late.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mistakes are part of the game...Both QBs made some...WRs dropped balls, etc..at the end of the day the more seasoned QB made the plays at the end. Jimmy will learn from it and be better in the next tight game late.

It’s hard to say though, because some never learn, and they never get comfortable... Not saying he will be one of them, but I think more fail than succeed... Jimmy has been casted as the next great thing, without proving anything, not sure how that even happened, but the guy has pressure on his shoulders and a huge contract with high expectations ...

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s hard to say though, because some never learn, and they never get comfortable... Not saying he will be one of them, but I think more fail than succeed... Jimmy has been casted as the next great thing, without proving anything, not sure how that even happened, but the guy has pressure on his shoulders and a huge contract with high expectations ...

Not sure about that, that he's been cast as the next great thing. He was neither a high profile college QB nor a high draft pick. I think the Niners probably think he has the potential to be one of the elite, but they are also probably well aware that it is more likely that he won't get there.

Regarding the big contract, I think it's just what a team has to do in today's NFL. You pretty much have to pay top dollar for a starting NFL QB who shows any kind of potential to be a good QB. Such guys who are next in line for a new contract will get big money, too. I think it's kind of rare to have a proven, still in his prime elite QB available via trade or free agency. Their teams will not let those kind of QB's go, usually. I think the closest most recent example is Kirk Cousins. I know that a lot of people don't think he's all that good, but I think the Redskins are crazy to let him go.

Last edited:

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are there a lot of QBs that don't show that clutch end game killer mentality early on that grow it?

Wilson is seasoned for sure, but had that clutch end game thing going as a rookie. Mahomes had it early. We just faced another young QB with killer instincts in Jackson.

All will learn to read defenses better over time. The game will slow down for them, but they already have that end game swag.

Im not sure create that over time.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure about that, that he's been cast as the next great thing. He was neither a high profile college QB nor a high draft pick. I think the Niners probably think he has the potential to be one of the elite, but they are also probably well aware that it is more likely that he won't get there.

Regarding the big contract, I think it's just what a team has to do in today's NFL. You pretty much have to pay top dollar for a starting NFL QB who shows any kind of potential to be a good QB. Such guys who are next in line for a new contract will get big money, too. I think it's kind of rare to have a proven, still in his prime elite QB available via trade or free agency. Their teams will not let those kind of QB's go, usually. I think the closest most recent example is Kirk Cousins. I know that a lot of people don't think he's all that good, but I think the Redskins are crazy to let him go.

I think the safest way for a franchise to do that is just drafting a QB, why pay big dollars for an unproven prospect ? It’s just riskier that way... If a draft pick doesn’t pan out you move on without paying out so much...

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the safest way for a franchise to do that is just drafting a QB, why pay big dollars for an unproven prospect ? It’s just riskier that way... If a draft pick doesn’t pan out you move on without paying out so much...

Bingo!

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That would be the ideal way, of course, but the Niners think they have their franchise QB in Garoppolo, so they pretty much had to pay him.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be the ideal way, of course, but the Niners think they have their franchise QB in Garoppolo, so they pretty much had to pay him.
I'm curious if you feel Jimmy G is a franchise QB at this point?

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All but like 10 or maybe 12 teams are looking for that killer QB? Easy to say just draft them but everyone is desperate for that guy. Not many find a post 1st round gem like Seattle did. It's not a recipe everyone can follow.

We got fucking lucky as hell.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm curious if you feel Jimmy G is a franchise QB at this point?

When I think of the term franchise QB, I'm not thinking of someone who is necessarily a great QB, but really more someone who is a good enough NFL QB to give his team a chance to win. I need to see Jimmy G. lead this team to the playoffs and do reasonably well in the playoffs before I'll say he's made it as a franchise QB, but it looks like he's on his way to doing that. I think of guys like Cam Newton, Joe Flacco, Matt Ryan, Derek Carr, etc., who you wouldn't say are great, but I think you would say that they were/are the franchise QB's of their respective teams.

I think that Garoppolo does have potential to be elite, but only time will tell. I hope he can take everything he's learned under Belichick, Brady, Shanahan, and apply it and be great, but I'm not going to be severely disappointed if that doesn't happen.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All but like 10 or maybe 12 teams are looking for that killer QB? Easy to say just draft them but everyone is desperate for that guy. Not many find a post 1st round gem like Seattle did. It's not a recipe everyone can follow.

We got fucking lucky as hell.

And even drafting high seems like a 50-50 proposition at best. I've always liked Wilson. He's a super class act and it's inspiring that he's proving that a QB doesn't have to be 6 feet or taller to be great.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not too sure we should read too much into this one game. San Fran will likely make some adjustments on offense. Solid team effort by the Hawks. The D stepped up and Clowney was a beast. Tough final 6 weks for both teams is gonna make that final weekend match-up likely something special. I can hardly wait.
I'm still in wait and see mode on JimmyG. We'll see how he bounces back. He's only started 20 games so he is essentially barely beyond a rookie. Tough outing when the kid is missing weapons and the vaunted running game is shut down but he really only made the easy throws so he will need to get better at the tough throws and also if the statements from Wagner and Wright were true, Shanahan and Jimmy will have to change some things up.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimmy G has been exposed
I think this is the real answer to this post. Jimmy G has to win an important game vs a great team in crunch time. Not the defense, not the running game but him. He will have a few more opportunities in the coming weeks

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimmy G has been exposed
I'm not sure about that. He wasn't great last night, but he did get them into position to make the winning FG from 47 yards out. I would agree that he wasn't sharp when he had the rush in his face -- I think Seattle dropped at least 2 or maybe even 3 INTs and had one called back -- but he won't face that kind of pressure every week. And as a Hawks fan, I honestly don't even know where that pressure came from because it's not something we have seen in any of the previous 9 games this season. He also may get better at dealing with it. Only 19 starts into his career, so I think we may need to see a little more before we really know.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure about that. He wasn't great last night, but he did get them into position to make the winning FG from 47 yards out. I would agree that he wasn't sharp when he had the rush in his face -- I think Seattle dropped at least 2 or maybe even 3 INTs and had one called back -- but he won't face that kind of pressure every week. And as a Hawks fan, I honestly don't even know where that pressure came from because it's not something we have seen in any of the previous 9 games this season. He also may get better at dealing with it. Only 19 starts into his career, so I think we may need to see a little more before we really know.

Niners had two OL coming back from injury in Staley and McGlinchey, and they were terrible in their return.