• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So much for Basketball, Lets Talk Some Football

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to disagree with the article. We have some holes to fill but we also have some good experience returning at key positions.

Dana will not tip his hand as far as who the starter is out of spring but barring injury that should be a good battle between those guys.
Part of me wants Howard and his age and game experience to win the job and lead us into the fall and continue his development as what looks like a pretty good QB but then another part of me wants Crest and his upside to wow everyone this spring and begin his era of greatness similar to Pat White or Major Harris (big shoes I know and unfair to put those kind of expectations on a kid that is just getting started but I'm hoping the kid has that kind of career here). I'm excited to see this offense go with a true dual threat type of QB. Geno had fine speed but I don't think of him as a true threat as far as escaping the pocket and killing the other team. I think the kids we have now back there are capable of doing that.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amen Amen lets talk football.

I think this offense is going to look even better with either of these QB's running the show. If Howard fixes his accuracy issues(% went down each game) I believe he can and will be the starter. In reality we have only seen Crest throw what 4 passes so I am kind of hoping Howards takes the roll and runs with it. The good thing about this schedule this year is the first three games are at home and we can work on getting someone comfortable at QB1.

I am going to keep a eye on Shelton Gibson this year, I believe he has the talent to be just as good as Kevin White. This will be his second year in the system and what do you know players seem to show vast improvement their second year in DH's offense. I think he could be a 100 catch 1500 yard receiver.

I am very excited to see some of the redshirt guys get a opportunity as well as some of the freshman...we have done a real good job these last couple of classes looking forward to seeing their development.

The defense should be even better, that side of the ball has a lot of snaps on their resume, usually great things happen when you have a situation like that.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not sure anyone learns anything during the spring...but I am betting that Crest is the #1 when its all said and done...in Dana's offense you have to be able to throw the deep ball and Howard just doesn't have that big arm...I think Howard at the end of the day is better coming off the bench...The biggest improvement I think the team needs to make is its ability to consistently get to the QB on defense...they seem to have the talent...I think the article had it right..If the defense can improve on giving up 27 points a game this team should contend for the Big12 championship..

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do you think Howard does not have a big arm? Do you not remember him putting it on the money to Alford against Iowa St....50 yard bomb baby! I am more worried about his accuracy that his arm strength.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My hope is that there is a clear cut winner at the QB position by end of spring camp. It would be great for the team to have this settled so they can head into summer working on timing and chemistry. Last year, this made a huge difference!

As the article noted, there are concerns along both the offensive and defensive lines. Some pretty big shoes to fill. The success of each line will go far in determining the overall success of this year's team.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QB is going to be the big issue. I don't expect a starter to be named in Spring unless Crest is heads and heels above everyone. I like Howard, but I worry about his accuracy and arm strength. Trickett was very good for the first 7 games last year and really leaves some pretty big shoes to fill.

I would be stoked if Simms comes in and blows away the competition. He is big, fast, mobile and has the arm. If he learns the offense, he could have all the tools to excel. We could use Crest like TCU uses Boykin. Crest has the size and versatality to play slot or WR and return punts and kickoffs. I wonder if his skills are best utilized as a QB?

Either way, I think all of our QBs are capable of running a zone read play. I look for Holgerson to take the next step with this offense and make the threat of a QB run real. If we can force Defenses to commit a LB or Safety to spy on the QB, it could greatly open up this offense.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How long until the season starts? lol

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do you think Howard does not have a big arm? Do you not remember him putting it on the money to Alford against Iowa St....50 yard bomb baby! I am more worried about his accuracy that his arm strength.

I think his assets are he can make quick reads and progressions, throws a catchable ball...throws well on timing routes...but strong arming it?..negative.......he likes to take a bit of running start when thinking about a deep ball.. he is a slinger a little bit..kind of Chad Penningtonish type...

Highlights from KSTATE..

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow you are in love with your boy Crest :suds:

That video should be labeled why Skyler Howard should be the starting QB. Good decisions, good feet, enough arm to make all the throws, command of the team, and the cockiness you want out of QB1. Lets not forget these are his first D1 throws of his career in a second half comeback on a cold night in Motown. He plays this whole game and Texas and we have nine wins. The kid is a gamer and I love it!!!!! :nutswing:

With all this being said if Crest comes in and wins the job I have no issues with that! :martini:

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow you are in love with your boy Crest :suds:

That video should be labeled why Skyler Howard should be the starting QB. Good decisions, good feet, enough arm to make all the throws, command of the team, and the cockiness you want out of QB1. Lets not forget these are his first D1 throws of his career in a second half comeback on a cold night in Motown. He plays this whole game and Texas and we have nine wins. The kid is a gamer and I love it!!!!! :nutswing:

With all this being said if Crest comes in and wins the job I have no issues with that! :martini:

I guess I am just not bought into a barely 6 foot tall QB!!..LOL!...I think Crest is going to be a MONSTER!

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maziel was only a inch taller.....while he was a complete a$$ I would take that kind of production at QB1 lol

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My son told me that he heard from some of his football buddies that David Sills is getting a lot of looks by Dana. I know, I know....I said the same thing - REALLY??? Now remember, I'm getting information from a Freshman who is getting information from Freshman football players. If he is correct, he gets his smarts from his Ol' man. If he is wrong, he gets it from his Mother and will be hazed. This the same kid who didn't hear anything about Rose but said he will attempt to find out. More dependence on a Freshman pipeline. Oh my.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was reported before spring camp started that Sills was one of the best athletes on the team. However, I've read that he has some serious mechanical flaws in his throwing motion which have caused accuracy issues for him.

I read yesterday that Chugs was running with the 3's.

Crest is reportedly the QB with the best fundamentals.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barring anything unforeseen I will have a no sh*t scouting report on this years team next Sunday after I get back from the Greenbrier. Its about to git real down at the country club boys....

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barring anything unforeseen I will have a no sh*t scouting report on this years team next Sunday after I get back from the Greenbrier. Its about to git real down at the country club boys....

OK, First off, The Greenbrier is an awesome place, any excuse to hangout at that place is a good one.

Some of my thoughts:

QB- Good call by Dana naming Howard the clear #1 at QB. Crest has outstanding talent and imo will be the starter and a very good one at some point but its just not quite there yet compared to Howard. Dunno if I would name Howard an all Big12 candidate ect. yet but from what I saw, the offense is just smoother when Howard is in there and he was making better decisions with the ball. He still made mistakes of his own (looking at the pick 6 compliments of Dravon Henry and other good play by the defense).
Would I be terrified if Howard got hurt ect. before the season starts or during and Crest gets forced into action? No, not at all, kid can run the offense and is exciting but he just needs more reps in practice and any game time he can get to polish his game a bit imo.
We are in good shape at the QB spot now as far as talent and depth imo, the guys have the talent to be really good, they just need experience. Totally different feel than this time last year.

RB- Barring injuries, loaded again this year at RB. Shell, Smallwood, and now Williams make a nice stable of RB's. Jacky Marcellus got several carries at RB too and he does look good with the ball in his hands (especially in the open field) but I see him more as a 3rd down guy or even better a slot WR but...time will tell with him and where he plays, guy looked good with the ball.

WR- Much like the QB spot I think there is some really good talent in our WR stable. Shorts, Gibson and Squirt could become the next great WR combo for our program this year. The pups behind them look good too, Ricky Rogers and Lamar Parker really stood out for me yesterday, the future is bright for them imo. The depth is really starting to show at some of the positions on the team, again, several good/talented people on the roster at this spot, the problem is lack of experience. If they catch on quick we will be fine as far as replacing White and Alford if not then the offense is going to struggle to be where it should be until they do.

OLine- We have some issues, the pass blocking looked really good at times but the run blocking looked inconsistent/shabby on many plays ( I expected that with the loses up front from graduation). I HOPE we can get stronger and coordinated before fall camp and get better but I am not as optimistic on this group as I am with some of the others. We'll see..

The defense played well barring a few big plays given up here and there, the tackling was solid and it looks like we will have a solid group again this year with the LB's and DB's . The only problem I saw was it looks like we will also still have some of the same problems as far as stopping a good power RB and getting a consistent pass rush from our DLine. I think our biggest problem is that our guys are just still a little too small overall. I know it fits what the defense wants to do the defense but... At the same time creates problems in those areas.

Kicker/Punter- barring injuries, no worries at all here, in fact Ill stack our guys up against any program in CFB this year. Hard NOT to be impressed with them both.

We shall see as far as spring game and into the fall but my gut reaction heading home yesterday was similar season coming up as last year with some growing pains and a ceiling of about 8 wins at most. Ill be very happy to be proven wrong and I could see it happening because I think we will be a tough out for anyone we play this year so.....time will tell. It sure felt good to see the team again!

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the update Gold. I'm glad the team is doing these practices. How was the attendance?

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never heard a number but IMO it was pretty good. Looked as if the bleachers could have both been filled had everyone sat in the end zone bleachers ( many stood on the side for better viewing, that was a drawback IMO, need more sideline seating) there were a lot more at the Charleston event last year but that was prob to be expected all things considered. Beautiful facility at the Greenbrier though, and a great day weather wise.