• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So let's legitimately talk UCF

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#2 in total offense
#5 in 3rd down conversions
#4 in rushing offense
#9 in sacks allowed
#7 in scoring offense
#2 in turnover margin

So only 3 stats matter in the judgement of a team?

I literally said those numbers aren't end all be all. But those numbers you gave are even more irrelevant because of the schedule you've played. You should probably be #1 in every category.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, at best 4th. Give em a few years of good recruiting then yea, I'd buy some of that. UCF just has a punchers chance at best right now vs OU, WVU, Texas and ISU.

Now the rest... good chance to win iyam.

I'll take 4th. I do think UCF would be at least the 3rd best team in that conference though. Just not that high on Texas or Iowa State.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Math actually 100% backs this up :D

Since 1995, the team with the best regular season record has won the World Series just 16% of the time. The baseball playoffs don't reward skill

The fact is, the team with the best record wins the Super Bowl less than half of the time. It's actually more common for a worse team to win!
One of the reasons I like college football and their championship process more than any other sport. I'm not really interested in bloated tournament winners.

I like that it takes a special run to make it. I don't want hand outs. I wouldn't want to slide in and get lucky at the right time. It should be about every game and not just get important for 3-4 weeks in early winter.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clearly their resume isn't good enough to be top 4

However does anyone here legitimately think UCF couldn't compete with pretty much anyone ?

I debate on this this forum all the time with people about expanding the playoff and I hear consistently " it's the committees job to pick the 4 best teams "

Ok . So why does the SoS matter then ? Is it not entirely possible UCF is one of the 4 best teams in the country even if their resume isn't one of the 4 best ?

If you concede it is POSSIBLE for them to actually be one of the 4 best teams despite their resume then why do we hold UCF ( and other G5) to a higher standard than we do P5?

This is not me advocating for UCF. I'm just curious as to why we hold G5 teams to a "deserving " standard we don't hold P5 teams to

Hold them to a higher standard? We hold them to the same standard, which they don't meet...

Cafe_Puro

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OU
Texas
WVU
OSU
ISU
TCU
Baylor
KState
TT
KU

Be interesting to see where they finished in our conference.

I'd bet they beat half the teams at least if not a few more this particular year. Not sure they would beat any of the top 2-3 teams but would be interesting.
glad you brought B12 up.. TCU and WVU were 10+ win teams that won their confs often.. Until they moved to b12. I will give slight credit for tcu winning b12 a bit ago but it was a down year for b12. Ou was bad and texas was no where.. Both teams are in fact competitive but no where near owning the conf year after year like they did in their former confs.. Because they are playing better teams. A UCF would do ok but they would have the same fate. Ucf fans should understand life isnt fair.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HA after UCF struggled with Temple Memphis and FAU...... not even close

Ohio State lost to Purdue and struggled against Nebraska and Maryland. At least Temple and Memphis have a winning record and are fighting for a conference title. Neither of the teams Ohio State struggled/lost to have a winning record.

Combined records of Purdue, Maryland and Nebraska - 14-19
Combined records of Temple, Memphis and FAU - 19-14

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the reasons I like college football and their championship process more than any other sport. I'm not really interested in bloated tournament winners.

I like that it takes a special run to make it. I don't want hand outs. I wouldn't want to slide in and get lucky at the right time. It should be about every game and not just get important for 3-4 weeks in early winter.
Well no matter what it should matter, 6 teams max is how i can see it 8 even seems too many and 6 is still meh but "fair"

Criteria:
No Auto-Bid
Must be a CCG WINNER (that means your conference may change the way it selects the 2 to go to ccg instead of divisional bs which is already flawed)
For a G5 they gotta be CCG and have 2 p5 wins minimum to even be eligible (yea that means rescheduling your "hurricane canceled game")

it has to be super special to justify 2 conference foes entering the CFP but otherwise barred

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohio State lost to Purdue and struggled against Nebraska and Maryland. At least Temple and Memphis have a winning record and are fighting for a conference title. Neither of the teams Ohio State struggled/lost to have a winning record.

Combined records of Purdue, Maryland and Nebraska - 14-19
Combined records of Temple, Memphis and FAU - 19-14
THOSE ARE G5 poo poo
vs P5 Middles........

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THOSE ARE G5 poo poo
vs P5 Middles........

Yeah, competing for a conference title makes you a G5 "poo poo" and being 5-6, 4-7 means you are a P5 "middles".

And that is EXACTLY what's wrong with College Football.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, competing for a conference title makes you a G5 "poo poo" and being 5-6, 4-7 means you are a P5 "middles".

And that is EXACTLY what's wrong with College Football.
When the conference is poo poo it just makes you top poo poo......

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sept 29th........Pitt (7-4) @ #11 UCF (10-0) L (14-45)
Oct 13th..........Pitt (7-4) @ #3 ND (11-0) L (14-19)

NinersFan80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just give them a chance so we can end the debate. We don't need Michigan in the 4

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Army can almost beat Oklahoma, UCF can beat Oklahoma.
If Purdue can beat Ohio State, UCF can beat Ohio State.
If Oklahoma State can beat West Virginia, UCF can beat West Virginia.
If Florida can beat LSU, UCF can beat LSU.
If USC can beat Washington State, UCF can beat Washington State.

Come at me.
Transient nonsense hasn't ever worked in any sport and really blows up in college football.

The year Michigan lost to app state, did that automatically mean app state was for sure better and capable of beating every other team Michigan did beat that year? Obviously not. You MUST make that claim for yours to hold water. App State would have to have been better than Penn State, MSU, ND, and even Florida that year.

Stop, just stop man. At this point it really just makes your fans look utterly and completely stupid to make these claims. I weep for you man. :L

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sept 29th........Pitt (7-4) @ #11 UCF (10-0) L (14-45)
Oct 13th..........Pitt (7-4) @ #3 ND (11-0) L (14-19)
Teams adapt, change, learn, get better over 2 weeks.... look at nebraska the first 6 weeks vs the last 6 weeks.... transitive property = null

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Transient nonsense hasn't ever worked in any sport and really blows up in college football.

The year Michigan lost to app state, did that automatically mean app state was for sure better and capable of beating every other team Michigan did beat that year? Obviously not. You MUST make that claim for yours to hold water. App State would have to have been better than Penn State, MSU, ND, and even Florida that year.

Stop, just stop man. At this point it really just makes your fan look utterly and completely stupid to make these claims. I weep for you man. :L

Weep for me all you want. We are undefeated, yet again. I don't care about your tears lol

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct

Me

SoS matters because there are a large number of teams who can accomplish the same thing. It's also more difficult to go undefeated when you are playing even decent teams week after week. I look at what UCF did and there is no way in hell they are going undefeated in the SEC. 3 loss team minimum on a Texas A&M schedule, probably 4 or 5 after injuries start happening and the team loses it's chance on goals.

This is bullshit, you are wanting to hold them to a lower standard. You just got done trying to claim SoS was meaningless as the way to lower the standard, then you try to spin it around as if they are being held to a higher standard? Fuck off.
No I asked why SoS matters for a team like UCF but "eye test " is acceptable when discussing P5 teams. I understand there's a difference between a 75 SOS and a 115 SOS but you really don't think it's possible for someone to watch the games and think "UCF would beat Wazzu or ND" ( 2 teams ahead of them with poor SoS)

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread has kept me away from the other thread. Obligatory GO COUGS

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I asked why SoS matters for a team like UCF but "eye test " is acceptable when discussing P5 teams. I understand there's a difference between a 75 SOS and a 115 SOS but you really don't think it's possible for someone to watch the games and think "UCF would beat Wazzu or ND" ( 2 teams ahead of them with poor SoS)
P5's play way more p5 teams who have p5 cross overs.... vs the shit that G5's play and lose....