• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

so about the AP poll

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My only question about polls being predictive rather than based on a teams ability: Should I make my rankings based on who has home field advantage during the regular season? If I think LSU is better than Alabama and Georgia, but not good enough to beat Georgia at Georgia and Alabama at Alabama should I rank them below Georgia and Alabama?

:scratch: :noidea:

It is based on the teams ability, that's what is used for the predictive part.

Usually when it's close, most people just give both teams credit until the game is played.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is based on the teams ability, that's what is used for the predictive part.

Usually when it's close, most people just give both teams credit until the game is played.

Thanks for your help, where have you read this? I've always thought the polls were based on who is the best team at the moment (based on the games played and preseason ranks).

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for your help, where have you read this? I've always thought the polls were based on who is the best team at the moment (based on the games played and preseason ranks).

Studying how rankings work is kind of my thing.

And there is a bit of difference between best team at the moment and having the best season, although usually the best teams have the best seasons provided they play a decent schedule.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Studying how rankings work is kind of my thing.

And there is a bit of difference between best team at the moment and having the best season, although usually the best teams have the best seasons provided they play a decent schedule.

Thanks. I've ranked my teams based on who has had the best season (which is based on how you have done and who you have played).

I just have never heard of teams being judged on how they will do in the future instead of their actual performance. I was interested in reading more about it because it would affect ranking teams like Michigan. Michigan wouldn't be ranked if it was based on how they've done so far, but if you think Michigan is going to win out, or just lose to OSU, it would make sense to have them in the top ten/fifteen. I think it makes a significant difference, it explains everything; people have different opinions on the future of teams.

boxedlunch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
these are the 10 biggest drops in poll history for teams who have won 2 straight games

-6 of the 10 are from the big ten

-it happened 3x this year and all 3 times it was to a b10 team

-michigan & nebraska in 2013 had the 1st & 3rd biggest poll drop of all time

OB-ZA788_COUNT0_G_20130924222103.jpg

There have been many more drops "in history" that should be on this list, and that's not counting teams that dropped right off the poll.

Stats LLC does such a poor job, I never trust their stuff.

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The SEC idiot shows his stupidity once again.

MSU's only wins at that point in time were auburn, jackson st., troy, and south alabama

at that time clemson had dropped to 17th in the polls so its really hard to call that a quality loss either

and their only win at that point in time was a 3pt overtime victory against LA monroe.......

it is very....very....very hard to argue that people considered auburn a good team at that point in the season

i make you do a :L ??????? well you are 10x worse buddy

You use the word stupidity yet you are TRYING to compare a close win by LSU over Auburn that year to MICHIGAN'S back to back lucky wins over Akron Zips and UConn (who was considered the WORST AQ team going into the Michigan game). It really is like beating your head against the wall trying to hold a conversation with some people in here....John! You said I make you go :L Well, you make me go :frusty: