• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

so about the AP poll

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to respectfully disagree.

Let's look at week 1's games.

clemson beat georgia. by 3 pts. fine. good win. quality win. still its 3 pts.....

OSU beat Buffalo by 20 pts. 40-20..... sorry, not close.

If Clemson beat Georgia by 20 and OSU only won by 3 pts. to Buffalo, then I'd agree with the jump in the polls. The way things actually happened, I don't think it was warranted.

Then Clemson only beat an unranked NC State by 12 pts. while OSU the same week set records with blanking their opponent 76-0. So, if we are going to place soooo much weight on margin of win, this should've swung the opposite direction for rankings sake.

Wow. Just comical. If you think beating a terrible MAC team by 20 is better than beating a top 5 team by 3 you are completely clueless. And congrats on beating an FCS team by 76. :yahoo:

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
by the way John, I don't think I've come across anyone on this board who has avatars for 3 diff. schools...... interesting......

i have family who goes to michigan northwestern & psu

i go to colorado & grew up in syracuse.

i follow all 5 teams

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. Just comical. If you think beating a terrible MAC team by 20 is better than beating a top 5 team by 3 you are completely clueless. And congrats on beating an FCS team by 76. :yahoo:

and theoretically you are right.....

however rule of thumb with the polls is that its better to sit on the couch and not play a game than to lose a close game against a top opponent

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
excuse me, I'm being very objective above with what I said.......

besides, lets compare cupcakes shall we? citadel? come on. S. carolina St? spare me the "their ooc is way better than OSU's". Wake forest? lol...... Duke....... ooooooh. Maybe they could field their BB team and make it closer......

id just like to point out that the only reason tOSU played FA&M was because an SEC school chickened out

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
excuse me, I'm being very objective above with what I said.......

besides, lets compare cupcakes shall we? citadel? come on. S. carolina St? spare me the "their ooc is way better than OSU's". Wake forest? lol...... Duke....... ooooooh. Maybe they could field their BB team and make it closer......

What do you mean 'spare you?' Spare you of facts? Through 3 weeks of the season, Clemson has the #10 SoS, and tOSU has the #61 SoS. That's not something he needs to prove.

Before you dog the ACC, realize that the ACC is looking to be considerably more impressive than the B1G this year. While you're mentioning Wake Forest or Duke, know that Purdue and Indiana aren't exactly striking fear into anyone around the country.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and theoretically you are right.....

however rule of thumb with the polls is that its better to sit on the couch and not play a game than to lose a close game against a top opponent

Correct, but what 1 loss team is ahead of Ohio State in the polls? None, Clemson should be rewarded for playing and beating a top 5 team. Why should you reward Ohio State when they have played almost the worst schedule in all of college football? Honestly if UGA beats LSU this weekend, UGA should be ahead of Ohio State as well. The polls don't work like that though b/c they are stupid. I can almost guarantee that if UGA beats LSU this weekend they would be favored over Ohio State in vegas but still be behind them in the polls.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting stat, but incredibly irrelevant.

1. Rarely do the final rankings mirror the rankings in week 4.
2. Clemson and Oregon most certainly deserve to be ahead of us because A. Oregon just flat out looks better than us and every team in the nation and B. Clemson, though they had an ugly win vs. NC State, had a phenomenal win vs. a very talented UGA team. If the voters think that makes them look more impressive than us, so be it. It's their right to think that; they're not fans.

The way I see it, if we just win out, I bet we'll be in. We're definitely in over undefeated Louisville, we're very likely in over undefeated Florida State (Florida looking less and less like a quality team to beat), and we'll have to see what happens with Clemson. If they win convincingly over Florida State and South Carolina, and then beat a still-top 15 Miami team in the ACC title game, it could be enough to get them up and over us, and I'm fine with that. They're a really talented team.

However, OSU is really starting to click on offense and the defense, while young, is still incredibly talented. If we can have an impressive win this weekend, it will go a long way. If two out of Clemson/Oregon/Alabama go unbeaten and square off in the BCS title game, so be it. I'll happily take on Stanford/Oregon in the Rose and bring the trophy back where it belongs.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

clemson beat georgia. by 3 pts. fine. good win. quality win. still its 3 pts.....

If Clemson beat Georgia by 20 and OSU only won by 3 pts. to Buffalo, then I'd agree with the jump in the polls. The way things actually happened, I don't think it was warranted.

Then Clemson only beat an unranked NC State by 12 pts. while OSU the same week set records with blanking their opponent 76-0. So, if we are going to place soooo much weight on margin of win, this should've swung the opposite direction for rankings sake.

:lol: for equating UGa and Buffalo. :L

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Clemson's win is more impressive.

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

2. Clemson and Oregon most certainly deserve to be ahead of us because A. Oregon just flat out looks better than us and every team in the nation and B. Clemson, though they had an ugly win vs. NC State, had a phenomenal win vs. a very talented UGA team. If the voters think that makes them look more impressive than us, so be it. It's their right to think that; they're not fans.

The way I see it, if we just win out, I bet we'll be in. We're definitely in over undefeated Louisville, we're very likely in over undefeated Florida State (Florida looking less and less like a quality team to beat), and we'll have to see what happens with Clemson. If they win convincingly over Florida State and South Carolina, and then beat a still-top 15 Miami team in the ACC title game, it could be enough to get them up and over us, and I'm fine with that. They're a really talented team.

However, OSU is really starting to click on offense and the defense, while young, is still incredibly talented. If we can have an impressive win this weekend, it will go a long way. If two out of Clemson/Oregon/Alabama go unbeaten and square off in the BCS title game, so be it. I'll happily take on Stanford/Oregon in the Rose and bring the trophy back where it belongs.

Good post.

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

yeah you have always been one of the ore logical posters

im not gonna defend osu dropping. with michigan though i think they shoulda dropped but not this much

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nobigdeal1.gif

LSU

T-Shirt fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
without a doubt UM should drop. but its the amount they dropped that gets under my skin.

LSU beat a very terrible auburn team last year by only 2 pts and yet dropped just one spot

FL last year won by just 7 against both mizz & LA layfayette and moved up a spot

this shit doesnt happen to team SEC

There is an SEC team in the list of 10 at the top of the thread...and it was in the past 3 years.

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
without a doubt UM should drop. but its the amount they dropped that gets under my skin.

LSU beat a very terrible auburn team last year by only 2 pts and yet dropped just one spot

FL last year won by just 7 against both mizz & LA layfayette and moved up a spot

this shit doesnt happen to team SEC

As usual John you present a weak weak argument with no substance. Auburn played LSU the 4th game of the year, where they were 1-2, and had barely lost to Clemson and to Miss St. How was anyone to know they would not win a conference game at that time? They were 2 years removed from a National Championship and were 8-5 in 2011 with a Chick-fil-a Bowl win. Pretty sure everyone knows The Akron Zips suck and so does UConn. In fact UConn statistically is the worst team in the country! If my team just did what Michigan did I would sit quietly in the corner and pray for lots of help! Instead you start a thread about how mistreated Michigan is! :L

bocomo007

Just some guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:L

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is an SEC team in the list of 10 at the top of the thread...and it was in the past 3 years.

yeah and 6 b10 teams are on that list as well

get the picture?

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As usual John you present a weak weak argument with no substance. Auburn played LSU the 4th game of the year, where they were 1-2, and had barely lost to Clemson and to Miss St. How was anyone to know they would not win a conference game at that time? They were 2 years removed from a National Championship and were 8-5 in 2011 with a Chick-fil-a Bowl win. Pretty sure everyone knows The Akron Zips suck and so does UConn. In fact UConn statistically is the worst team in the country! If my team just did what Michigan did I would sit quietly in the corner and pray for lots of help! Instead you start a thread about how mistreated Michigan is! :L

The SEC idiot shows his stupidity once again.

MSU's only wins at that point in time were auburn, jackson st., troy, and south alabama

at that time clemson had dropped to 17th in the polls so its really hard to call that a quality loss either

and their only win at that point in time was a 3pt overtime victory against LA monroe.......

it is very....very....very hard to argue that people considered auburn a good team at that point in the season

i make you do a :L ??????? well you are 10x worse buddy

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once again you fail to recognize that the polls are not just based on what has been done, they are based on future projections as well.

If you need proof, simply look over at Oregon. They haven't beat anyone yet, but they are damn sure expected too. And with good reason as it would be stupid not to rank Oregon high right now.

If you can't understand this and have to throw a fit about it every week, maybe college football isn't for you.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once again you fail to recognize that the polls are not just based on what has been done, they are based on future projections as well.

If you need proof, simply look over at Oregon. They haven't beat anyone yet, but they are damn sure expected too. And with good reason as it would be stupid not to rank Oregon high right now.

If you can't understand this and have to throw a fit about it every week, maybe college football isn't for you.

My only question about polls being predictive rather than based on a teams ability: Should I make my rankings based on who has home field advantage during the regular season? If I think LSU is better than Alabama and Georgia, but not good enough to beat Georgia at Georgia and Alabama at Alabama should I rank them below Georgia and Alabama?

:scratch: :noidea: