• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Smith ruled out

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't coaches think like that. I think they believe that can put Kaep is the best possible position to win like they've done with Alex Smith the last year and a half, regardless of who the opposition is.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
assuming Alex Smith was a borderline start this week, and will be available next......
IMO they should go ahead and call a few running plays for Kap. call just enough make their D defend it.

in the larger picture (rest of this season), Kap needs to prove he can be an effective passer from the pocket? until he can prove enough passing ability, Alex Smith will remain the starter.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well we find out one way or another if CK7 is the future or if we need to keep stocking QB's.

There's no way this game, against a great defense, in the rain, with a presumably run based gameplan is going to send us into QB search mode any more than it would have been before this game. This game will either be a neutral growing pain game or a positive one for Kaep. As with the benefit of experience, even a bad performance is beter than the bench for Kaep (bad for the team record-wise, obviously - although we still could have lost with Smith and COULD win with a bad game from Kaep) - this is great for Kaep and the team (more preparation should Smith ever get reinjured). The coaches have spent considerable time getting to know their QBs, developing them, etc., to just throw their arms up if he struggles. All this game will do is determine which camp will speak the loudest - Smith supporters or Kaep-is-the-Future enthusiasts. Unless he plays really well, I don't see this game changing anyone from the extreme's opinions.

Alex is 20-6 as a starter though since Harbaugh took over. I really doubt Kaep could have led us to that record, but it's more about which QB can continue to improve this offense going into the future.

I don't expect tonight to be a pretty football game. I expect multiple turnovers from both teams and a game that probably will be decided by a late offensive mistake or two.

I agree with this part, given that Kaep was a rookie last year.

Last edited by a moderator:

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought for sure he was a go today. Kinda iffy on the source being so early.

But also excited to see kap get some time and see what he's got on the national stage. It also makes me feel better that cutler isn't playing.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I, too, think Harbaugh is prepared but after the rest of your posts, how does saying the "coaches have nothing" (excuses) and that they are "in the spotlight" align with saying they are in "a win-win situation"? Is it that you think they are in a win-win situation so long as they prepared correctly? But if they didn't, it's a loss? (So regardless of the execution, they're safe from any dirt because they didn't decide to bench Smith, the doctors did.)

Note: The quotes I quoted are only in reference to NolanNonsense. I'm not referring to anything anyone else said.

"Win, Win" as far as Kaepernick's performance goes is what I was trying to say.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't think necessarily after this week, but the gap between them will be much closer this year, and I think it'll lean more towards CK7 next year if we don't make anymore QB moves. And of course they need more of a one game sample size to determine if Kaep can play or not. That wasn't my point.

I had some doubt you were making that statement but I knew you like Kaepernick so there was enough doubt in my head that I had to ask just to be sure.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In order for Kaepernick to see the "so you wanna be the starter" side of the playbook we will need to be down 3 scores early and not because of turnovers that have Colin's name on them.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
In order for Kaepernick to see the "so you wanna be the starter" side of the playbook we will need to be down 3 scores early and not because of turnovers that have Colin's name on them.

CK's best case for the starting spot is the run the offense as effectively as Smith but with more bigger and impactful plays.

But I agree with Pozz that it's unlikely Smith's going to lose his job on what CK does even if it was good.

The odd thing is I think it would be a good thing to start the game heavy with pass because the Bear's defense is likely counting on seeing a heavy dose of the run. I think the first offensive play should be play action deep pass to Randy Moss just to put that in the mind of the Bear's defense and put them on their heels.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently Smith wasn't showing signs of any side effects at all until the final neuro test, I wonder if this might keep him out the following week as well? I don't want this to be the case, but you have to wonder.

49ermann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
If there was any chance that Smith wouldn't be able to go, Kapernick should have received all or most of the snaps in practice. Smith has much more experience then Kap and could play at a higher level with out the practice time. Kap needs as much seasoning as we can get him. I think it was a huge mistake by the coaching staff to put all of our eggs in Smith.

Although I agree with Smith not playing. If he isn't 100% he shouldn't be playing. One game is not worth the season.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CK's best case for the starting spot is the run the offense as effectively as Smith but with more bigger and impactful plays.

But I agree with Pozz that it's unlikely Smith's going to lose his job on what CK does even if it was good.

The odd thing is I think it would be a good thing to start the game heavy with pass because the Bear's defense is likely counting on seeing a heavy dose of the run. I think the first offensive play should be play action deep pass to Randy Moss just to put that in the mind of the Bear's defense and put them on their heels.

Then you also agree with me and most everyone else. The chance of Kaepernick taking Smith's spot as the starter based on his performance in tonight's game is slim to none.

That said, however, if we begin our final possession of the 2nd qtr down 30-10 and G-Ro & Jimmy decide to put the game on Colin's back and should he rise to THAT occasion and lead (not follow) us back to victory - then you and everyone else can imagine what the media and the fans reaction will be tomorrow AM.

As for starting the game with a PA9 or seam, or post; sure, if the circumstance allows/calls for it, (1cov outside or an 11 vs. a standard align with a LB on Vernon, etc)

If the circumstance arises I also would expect to see some 2nd & short deep shots inside the Bears 10 as an INT in that case, barring any return, would serve as an excellent punt.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Then you also agree with me and most everyone else. The chance of Kaepernick taking Smith's spot as the starter based on his performance in tonight's game is slim to none.

That said, however, if we begin our final possession of the 2nd qtr down 30-10 and G-Ro & Jimmy decide to put the game on Colin's back and should he rise to THAT occasion and lead (not follow) us back to victory - then you and everyone else can imagine what the media and the fans reaction will be tomorrow AM.

As for starting the game with a PA9 or seam, or post; sure, if the circumstance allows/calls for it, (1cov outside or an 11 vs. a standard align with a LB on Vernon, etc)

If the circumstance arises I also would expect to see some 2nd & short deep shots inside the Bears 10 as an INT in that case, barring any return, would serve as an excellent punt.

did you mean 3rd and short?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part of me wants Kaep to try to run the offense the same as Smith plus his added strengths (running it is different than executing it well), but another part of me wants just whatever gets us the win, even if that is an extremely limited Kaepernick, run based (Kaep running, not Gore), gimmick offense, etc. In other words, I'd like to win in the traditional sense. I'm not saying Kaepernick is extremely limited, I just mean as to what we think he is capable of, pulled back a lot, given the circumstances.

I think Kaepernick is capable of running a traditional offense, but if there is enough troubles given inexperience, running something that is not the basic offense may work out better. I trust that the coaches will find the right balance and will put him and the team in the best possible position.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
did you mean 3rd and short?

No - Deep shots like the one I mentioned are best taken on 2nd & short (1-3 yards) because if they fail, you are left with pinning their offense deep inside their own territory, or a convertable 3rd & short.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Part of me wants Kaep to try to run the offense the same as Smith plus his added strengths (running it is different than executing it well), but another part of me wants just whatever gets us the win, even if that is an extremely limited Kaepernick, run based (Kaep running, not Gore), gimmick offense, etc. In other words, I'd like to win in the traditional sense. I'm not saying Kaepernick is extremely limited, I just mean as to what we think he is capable of, pulled back a lot, given the circumstances.

I think Kaepernick is capable of running a traditional offense, but if there is enough troubles given inexperience, running something that is not the basic offense may work out better. I trust that the coaches will find the right balance and will put him and the team in the best possible position.

they shouldn't ask Kap to run the SAME things as Alex. most of the scheme will be the same (for the benefit of other 10 players), but a FEW things will be tailored for Kap. a few things would also need to be tailored for the Bears. they should game plan to get the win, not "interview" Kap.

if Kap has the ability to run our offense well, it'll show sooner rather than later (regardless of opponent). he'll earn the starting role whether after this game, next, or even next season. we shouldn't have to force Kap into the 'starring' role.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why are people pretending that Alex Smith ran an out-of-this-world, complex passing attack? He is towards the bottom of the league in attempts, and rarely threw the ball down the field. What's gonna change now that Kap is in the lineup? I few more runs, maybe, or a few more bombs to Moss, but nothing crazy.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why are people pretending that Alex Smith ran an out-of-this-world, complex passing attack? He is towards the bottom of the league in attempts, and rarely threw the ball down the field. What's gonna change now that Kap is in the lineup? I few more runs, maybe, or a few more bombs to Moss, but nothing crazy.

Hopefully fewer dump-offs and more down-the-field and at-the-sticks pass attempts. Better pocket presence and the ability to make something from nothing.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully fewer dump-offs and more down-the-field and at-the-sticks pass attempts. Better pocket presence and the ability to make something from nothing.

Agreed, but people are talking about limiting Kaep more than Alex Smith, who was already being limited anyways. That's what I disagreed with.