• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Smith ruled out

1911Alaska

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More so, in my opinion. Kaepernick has the "rookie going against the great defense" excuse to fall back on. The coaches have nothing.

Kapernick is not a rookie, seen this a few times now from a couple different people. I don't get why though lol

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm excited to see what he can do. And I think it's important for the franchise --- this team will have to plug a number of positions on defense coming up as some of the key players age, it would be best if they knew they had their qb of the future.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm excited to see what he can do. And I think it's important for the franchise --- this team will have to plug a number of positions on defense coming up as some of the key players age, it would be best if they knew they had their qb of the future.

I think they (the defensive guys), though not experts in evaluation, already have a feeling one way or another. As far as their impression of Kaep after this game, playing poorly wouldn't mean he isn't the future. Playing well, of course, supports it. So, as far as that goes, as long as the proper considerations are made in case of a struggle, Kaep is in a great position. I wouldn't call it a win-win situation because a moral victory (contextual reasons for struggle) in a poor game would not be considered a win by him, but you can't really lose unless he's worse than I think he is. I'm sure with his competitive nature, a "lose" is possible. But in the bigger picture, I think this experience and opportunity is a win.

Last edited by a moderator:

SY8goat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kaepernick ending the game with zero turnovers will be a moral victory.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha. Regardless of all the reports, I had a feeling this would happen. I said earlier in the week that was the perfect opportunity to start CK7. He does well and they have their starter. He underwhelms and they say it was just a one week deal and they'll go back to Smith.

Harbaugh knows exactly what he's doing in this situation.

Yep. I've been thinking the same thing. Harbaugh is in a win, win situation. No dirt can be thrown on him either way

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The glaring weakness of pass protection for the 49ers is going to be magnified by an inexperienced QB having trouble recognizing defenses. The Niners will get aggressive and run the ball.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm skeptical since ESPN has not said who their source is on this. It seems weird for a piece of news like this to come out so early in the morning on the East Coast. If Alex was going to take the test today you would think it would be later in the day unless he took and failed it yesterday. It still just seems odd that a piece of news from the West Coast is coming out so early.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here it will really come down to preparation and coaching. I'll be watching with interest.

Agreed! Our coaching staff is as much in the spot-light as Kap, IMO.

More so, in my opinion. Kaepernick has the "rookie going against the great defense" excuse to fall back on. The coaches have nothing.

Yep. I've been thinking the same thing. Harbaugh is in a win, win situation. No dirt can be thrown on him either way

I, too, think Harbaugh is prepared but after the rest of your posts, how does saying the "coaches have nothing" (excuses) and that they are "in the spotlight" align with saying they are in "a win-win situation"? Is it that you think they are in a win-win situation so long as they prepared correctly? But if they didn't, it's a loss? (So regardless of the execution, they're safe from any dirt because they didn't decide to bench Smith, the doctors did.)

Note: The quotes I quoted are only in reference to NolanNonsense. I'm not referring to anything anyone else said.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm skeptical since ESPN has not said who their source is on this. It seems weird for a piece of news like this to come out so early in the morning on the East Coast. If Alex was going to take the test today you would think it would be later in the day unless he took and failed it yesterday. It still just seems odd that a piece of news from the West Coast is coming out so early.

That is curious, as the first report was pretty early. Perhaps Smith was there at 7 AM so as to get the most time to prepare if not ready? Still, not sure why or how anybody else got to know about it until a regular time to release the information. Maybe the independant neurologist needs a lesson on confidentiality? They have absolutely no incentive to tell anyone in the media or on the Bears until 90 minutes before the game. Obviously, there may be other ways of finding out, as they do need to prepare for the game. But anytime later, would be later. Kaep and Smith and the team would have to know and keeping that silent would be difficult. Later is later, but the benefit of waiting isn't THAT strong. It just seems that Harbaugh would use every minute. Maybe he is, as the team hasn't announced anything publicly.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ha. Regardless of all the reports, I had a feeling this would happen. I said earlier in the week that was the perfect opportunity to start CK7. He does well and they have their starter. He underwhelms and they say it was just a one week deal and they'll go back to Smith.

You believe if Kaepernick does well tonight they would roll with him the following week? I'd be very surprised if Smith lost his job based on this game. I don't expect this will even be a legitimate topic of discussion following the game, but I wanted to ask anyways.

I doubt that I would be willing to say that Kaepernick is ready for the big time even if he does handle himself pretty well tonight. I'd have to see it over a stretch of games before I could begin to let myself get to that point. It's never been easy for me to read into anything a great deal without seeing someone over a period of games.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You believe if Kaepernick does well tonight they would roll with him the following week? I'd be very surprised if Smith lost his job based on this game. I don't expect this will even be a legitimate topic of discussion following the game, but I wanted to ask anyways.

I doubt that I would be willing to say that Kaepernick is ready for the big time even if he does handle himself pretty well tonight. I'd have to see it over a stretch of games before I could begin to let myself get to that point. It's never been easy for me to read into anything a great deal without seeing someone over a period of games.

I'd be stunned if Smith lost his job based on a game against the Bears. There's no way Harbaugh would do this.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
He wouldn't get the job based on one good start. That would involve a long process including looking better in practice, having a complete grasp of the playbook, being a leader on and off the field. One good performance wouldn't change any of these factors. If he already has all those things, then it would be a different story, but then this game wouldn't be the tipping point.

Then again, when you're desperate for the Niners to get rid of Smith, one positive start is all you need! Hell, two or three good plays will be enough for some of you.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
49ers Blog and Q&A: 49ers officially rule out Smith from tonight's game

According to a credible source, Smith never was given the so-called "contact test" which is the last step a player must take in being cleared from a concussion. Symptoms from a concussion can arise and reappear at any time, and it may be that Smith experienced symptoms -- a headache, for example -- in the last day. Smith also suffered a concussion last season, although he did not miss any games.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“Alex Smith has been declared out for this evening’s game after being evaluated by team medical director Dr. Dan Garza.”

Stupid, incompetent, know-nothing "Doctor" Dan Garza. Yes, I am only kidding. I'm sure he's a smart, perfectly competent, knowledgeable Bears fan. He should be careful for what he wishes for. :) Told my sister of the news and she was like, "well, that's fair (referring to Cutler being out, too). :facepalm: And then, she said it's probably better for Alex health-wise. Pshhhaw, like I care about his post-NFL life. ;)

49ers.com | Smith Out for MNF, Kaepernick to Start

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think necessarily after this week, but the gap between them will be much closer this year, and I think it'll lean more towards CK7 next year if we don't make anymore QB moves. And of course they need more of a one game sample size to determine if Kaep can play or not. That wasn't my point.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
How the hell is Bowman even available in an IDP league?

I'm not entirely sure. He's been a little shaky this year. A couple pretty bad games a few weeks ago landed him on the waiver wire. My LBs have been very solid this year (Washington and Greenway; kicker and D were carrying me for a few weeks early), so I haven't really been paying attention to the position. Without checking, I'm guessing someone dropped him for the bye and never picked him back up. but with Greenway out, Navorro was staring me in the eye saying, "Add me." I did add him about an hour after he cleared waivers this week.

Though is it a bad sign that I'm starting Bowman, Davis, and Hunter (rough week at RB, where I have Fred Jackson, Bradshaw and Andre Brown), and am somewhat worried I might not make up the 5 1/2 points I'm trailing by? Really hoping Davis rebounds tonight, and only a little for fantasy reasons.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well we find out one way or another if CK7 is the future or if we need to keep stocking QB's. Alex is 20-6 as a starter though since Harbaugh took over. I really doubt Kaep could have led us to that record, but it's more about which QB can continue to improve this offense going into the future.

I don't expect tonight to be a pretty football game. I expect multiple turnovers from both teams and a game that probably will be decided by a late offensive mistake or two.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Clyde, you and I have a very similar disposition when it comes to Alex and Colin and I am not sure how you are defining "perfect opportunity", but by almost any definition this is far from the "perfect opportunity", for even a seasoned QB let alone for one making his 1st NFL start.

I think everyone "had a feeling" this could happen but you seem to be intimating if Harbaugh had a choice he would have chosen to go with Kaepernick - I've got news for you - he would not.

So, I'm not sure where you are getting this "Harbaugh knows exactly what he is doing" attitude - Harbaugh is now stuck doing what he has to do not what he wanted to do. Unless you think Harbaugh believes he has one game to give.

As for this, "[If Kaepernick] does well and they have their starter." Again, not sure where this is coming from but this makes absolutely zero sense as well.

Considering the following:

The Bears passing defense is currently allowing 5.6 yards per attempt - which means in order for Kaepernick to throw for just 200 yards and ZERO TD's he would need to throw the stone 36 times. But, not all would be lost as he would have 2 INT's to go along with those ZERO TD's

Want just one TD to go with those 200 yards? – Sure, now he needs to throw the ball 43 times! How about a 300 yard game to go with that one TD, now he needs to toss the rock 54 times – however, at that total his INT’s now equal 3.

Do you honestly believe G-Ro & Jimmy have put together a game plan that calls for Kaepernick to throw between 36 and 54 passes into a Bears secondary that is currently picking-off pass attempts at a clip better than 2/1 on INTs/TD's? Maybe you think so but I'm going with no on that.

As has been stated by anyone and everyone who knows anything about football, this is NOT the perfect opportunity for Kap to make his NFL starting debut as a back-up QB. G-Ro & Jimmy will have to try and win this game just as we do with Alex - with coaching, defense, rushing & ST's and a little luck.

In only an extreme circumstance will G-Ro & Jimmy open up the passing side of the playbook to the point that would allow Kaepernick to even come close to competing for a starting position tonight. That said, however, I do hope his performance does move him closer.