• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Smith ruled out

Geraint

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i have both 49ers and Bears defence. Which one will get more turnovers :cheer2:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to be clear, I think Kaep is fully capable, just saying i want the coaching staff to call plays as if they believe he can.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, but people are talking about limiting Kaep more than Alex Smith, who was already being limited anyways. That's what I disagreed with.

Got it - I think any limitations on Kap with regard to this game in particular would be more defense influenced than because he is ability impaired.

I tend to believe Kap could run the identical offense Smith is running now and produce more from it. The only unknown is, could he run it as error free; and, if not, would his positives out-weigh the negatives?

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exciting... this could be the beginning of a new era of 49ers QB.

I'm not worried about limiting Kaepernick, no need for that... just play the same type of offense that they would with Smith. Capitalize on Kaep's mobility though... like on long 3rd downs the WRs should clear out the middle of the field and let him run.

As a sidenote, I hope letting Smith practice this week didn't take reps away from Kaepernick... thats a 20/20 hindsight thing now.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Got it - I think any limitations on Kap with regard to this game in particular would be more defense influenced than because he is ability impaired.

I tend to believe Kap could run the identical offense Smith is running now and produce more from it. The only unknown is, could he run it as error free; and, if not, would his positives out-weigh the negatives?

Said beautifully. I was just going to ask the same questions. The only thing I may not agree with is, I think there may be different fine details on many different things that you don't have the option to turn to with Kaepernick just because he hasn't been in there with everybody else, though some of that could be offset based on things Kaepernick brings to the table.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maiocco just reported from the field that he heard Kap got a lot of the reps later in the week. End of that topic.

Geraint

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A very exciting time for a lot of this forum

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Said beautifully. I was just going to ask the same questions. The only thing I may not agree with is, I think there may be different fine details on many different things that you don't have the option to turn to with Kaepernick just because he hasn't been in there with everybody else, though some of that could be offset based on things Kaepernick brings to the table.

Exactly, and therein lies the learning curve - but, after watching his confidence grow measurably in just 3.5 quarters vs. the Rams, I believe it would be a sharp curve.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently Smith wasn't showing signs of any side effects at all until the final neuro test, I wonder if this might keep him out the following week as well? I don't want this to be the case, but you have to wonder.

The aren't going to beat the Saints anyway, even with Smith, so might as well get Kaepernick some experience.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Did this unknown become known last night - or do we need a larger sample size?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did this unknown become known last night - or do we need a larger sample size?

I need to see more before I'm convinced but boy, did he look good last night; did he not?

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I need to see more before I'm convinced but boy, did he look good last night; did he not?

Yeah - all things considered I thought he looked frighteningly good! At this point I want to see him start vs. N.O. It is time to see what this kid can do.

I respectfully, but honestly believe that Smith is at his highest plateau, and Colin simply played higher than that last night - on his first career start. How can we not want to discover if it was a fluke or the beginning of something?

What is the worst that can happen - we replace Kaepernick with Smith at halftime? I see only upside to starting Colin vs. the Saints. And if he delivers another WTF performance - then I think we will know enough to pull the trigger on Alex.