• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Smith from Montana is the new QB Coach

mysfit

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Montana offensive coordinator to be next Boise State quarterbacks coach | Voices.IdahoStatesman.com

Apparently he was the recruiting coordinator under Holt, given all our coaching losses this year that should help.
By Brian Murphy
[email protected]

Montana offensive coordinator Jonathan Smith will be the next quarterbacks coach at Boise State, Montana head coach Robin Pflugrad said Friday.

"He's taking a job at Boise State University as quarterbacks coach. It is not a coordinator position," Pflugrad told Fritz Neighbor of The Missoulian.

"Jonathan Smith did a tremendous job. He became a better coordinator as the season progressed. I think he really improved and I think that’s a sign of a good coach, if you can improve a little bit every game, just like a player. And he was really fun to work with because he would take input very, very well. We’re going to miss him."

Boise State has not announced Smith's hiring. Coach Chris Petersen was not available for comment.

Montana ranked No. 21 in the Football Championship Subdivision in total offense, averaging 420.36 yards per game and 16th in the nation in scoring offense at 33.86 points per game.

Smith, who also coached quarterbacks at Montana, replaces offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach Brent Pease, who left Boise State for Florida. Robert Prince is the new offensive coordinator and will still coach wide receivers.

Smith was a four-year starter at quarterback for Oregon State. He ended his career No. 3 in Pac-10 history in passing yards and total offense. He was originally a walk-on.

Smith has been the offensive coordinator at Montana for the last two seasons. Smith coached quarterbacks at Idaho for six seasons (2004-2009) under three head coaches (Robb Akey, Dennis Erickson and Nick Holt). Smith was a graduate assistant at Oregon State in 2002 and 2003.

Smith earned a B.S. degree in liberal studies at OSU in 2001. He is married to the former Candice Huddle and has two children, according to his Montana bio.

Read more here: Montana offensive coordinator to be next Boise State quarterbacks coach | Voices.IdahoStatesman.com

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the hire

seems like a pretty good coordinator.

would we be potentially setting ourselves up for the future in the case if Prince were to leave for a new coordinator job??

mysfit

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the hire

seems like a pretty good coordinator.

would we be potentially setting ourselves up for the future in the case if Prince were to leave for a new coordinator job??

I see it as less a potential and more a certainty.

As long as we keep coach Pete I think we can assume we will have significant turnover at the other positions, so long as we keep winning. Very few coaches have as a goal staying at one position especially and assistant or coordinator spot.

I think fans should get used to the idea and learn to roll with it. Embrace the positive aspects of change rather than dwelling on the negatives. Change can be difficult but it can also be invigorating and a good opportunity.

IMO as long as we have Coach Pete running things we'll be in good shape. Doesn't mean we won't have ups and downs; I think BSU fans have become a bit spoiled. Imagine the chagrin at a 3 loss season. Oh the horror! :)

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see it as less a potential and more a certainty.

As long as we keep coach Pete I think we can assume we will have significant turnover at the other positions, so long as we keep winning. Very few coaches have as a goal staying at one position especially and assistant or coordinator spot.

I think fans should get used to the idea and learn to roll with it. Embrace the positive aspects of change rather than dwelling on the negatives. Change can be difficult but it can also be invigorating and a good opportunity.

IMO as long as we have Coach Pete running things we'll be in good shape. Doesn't mean we won't have ups and downs; I think BSU fans have become a bit spoiled. Imagine the chagrin at a 3 loss season. Oh the horror! :)

a 3 loss season would be a major disappointment any year, guess we are spoiled.

has to do with our conference too, if we were in the Big 12 I'd probably expect a 3 loss year next year.