• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SJ's 2015-2016 NFL prospect chat

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's always the target, but who actually gets that done? 3 starters out of the first 3 picks for a team that is already .500ish is a HUGE accomplishment.

Like it or not, the Rams could very well look to make a splash with their return to LA, which could mean packaging two or more picks to move up for one of these QBs, none of which are likely to be day 1 starters.

God please no. Maybe Goff is ready to start but I say highly doubtful.

And having 3 picks in the top 45 is not crazy hard to find a "caliber" type starter or some serious talent. Not hard at all if you know what you are doing.

Going after a nickel CB like we did with Joyner is not a good example of this.

Last edited:

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
God please no. Maybe Goff is ready to start but I say highly doubtful.

And having 3 picks in the top 45 is not crazy hard to find a "caliber" type starter or some serious talent. Not hard at all if you know what you are doing.

Going after a nickel CB like we did with Joyner is not a good example of this.

What positions could the Rams draft that would be immediate starters, and what prospects fit the bill? On offense, QB/WR/C/OT (if they move Robinson inside), and you could make a case for TE if they cut Cook loose. What are the holes in the defense that could immediately be filled by draft picks? The only real holes on that side of the ball would be if they cut vets like Long and Laurinaitis, or fail to re-sign their DBs.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What positions could the Rams draft that would be immediate starters, and what prospects fit the bill? On offense, QB/WR/C/OT (if they move Robinson inside), and you could make a case for TE if they cut Cook loose. What are the holes in the defense that could immediately be filled by draft picks? The only real holes on that side of the ball would be if they cut vets like Long and Laurinaitis, or fail to re-sign their DBs.

You are looking to draft based on a Need. Good teams draft BPA with an eye on what is "needed", but they don't go ALL IN and reach on position. I'd rather have the #2 LB at pick 15, instead of #3 QB with this current Rams team. When is the last time we've been loaded at LB? Not to mention, where is their overall rank? The #2 LB or #2 CB might be ranked 10-25 spots higher than the #3 QB - so as far as value, you really are reaching and hoping. Give me the #2 CB at 15 instead of the #4 OT as well.

That's how you build a team. We NEEDED an OT and drafted G Rob. How's that working? Passed on Sammy Watkins. No Sammy in this draft either. We drafted Aaron Donald because he fell to us.. Did we need him at the time? No not really, but look how it worked out.

WR TCU Josh Doctson might start for the Rams, but If we draft offense early I would much rather see who falls to us at OT. I would like to finally see what our offense would look like if we can protect the QB + look at the blueprint of Seattle and Carolina. Look at their WRs they got to the SuperBowl with.

Be great if we could add a WR in free agency.

LB can be upgraded. CB can be upgraded. DE might even be a possibility. Keep the defense stout is what I'm saying. If you want to use 1 of our top 3 picks on a OT that falls to us and we think is capable (Havenstein), then sure that would be great. But if we can keep this defense solid, I would be very happy. Could we get an LB later? Probably but will he be elite? CB?

1) Our offense is very young and you should see some guys next year making big strides
2) This would be the wrong draft to go all in on a QB. That was last year. :L Goodness this organization scares me with their knee jerk REACTIONS. Be PROACTIVE and know the talent coming out.

Yeah we could use a TE, WR, OT, and QB. But who do you have an eye on and where?

I would love to go back and pick BPA no matter who we had on our roster at the time. You'd be amazed at the caliber of talent on a team and how it works out.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are expecting impact starters with the first 3 picks, that implies drafting for need. If they draft Jarran Reed for instance, is he going to start over Donald and Brockers? Is Shaq Lawson going to start over Long and Quinn? I'm always for BPA within reason, which is essentially following your board. Draft BPA with a mindful eye towards your needs. If #2 on your BPA fits a need, draft him over #1 (barring a huge gap in their ratings).

Last year was not the year to go all-in on a QB either, since the top 2 went #1 and #2, and the cost to move up there was prohibitively expensive. Philly was throwing seemingly half their roster at the Titans to no avail.

BPA in retrospect is rarely BPA in the moment (and we'll likely never know who was BPA on the Rams board, unless they claim their pick was it). I've seen 2015 redrafts where they have undrafted Rawls going in the first round.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The late great Don Klosterman, the architect of the powerhouse LA Rams ball clubs of the 70's, built those deeply talented teams based on the formula you are suggesting SJ76. BPA with an eye on need. After awhile, they didn't have to approach a draft so much for need because they were so deep in talent the next guy in line stepped in. It was only after Carroll Rosenbloom died and the Queen Idiot took over with that dumbass and braindead John Shaw did we then have massive need-a condition we have yet to fully recover from again since the Dick Vermeil years.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't triple stamp a double stamp!

can't triple stamp a double stamp.gif

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are expecting impact starters with the first 3 picks, that implies drafting for need. If they draft Jarran Reed for instance, is he going to start over Donald and Brockers? Is Shaq Lawson going to start over Long and Quinn? I'm always for BPA within reason, which is essentially following your board. Draft BPA with a mindful eye towards your needs. If #2 on your BPA fits a need, draft him over #1 (barring a huge gap in their ratings).

Last year was not the year to go all-in on a QB either, since the top 2 went #1 and #2, and the cost to move up there was prohibitively expensive. Philly was throwing seemingly half their roster at the Titans to no avail.

BPA in retrospect is rarely BPA in the moment (and we'll likely never know who was BPA on the Rams board, unless they claim their pick was it). I've seen 2015 redrafts where they have undrafted Rawls going in the first round.

Keeping an eye on a need means we don't NEED a DT. DE? LB? CB? Why reach on offense when you have defensive studs all over the board. Shaq Lawson is a beast and the #3 rated DE I believe. I'd take him over the #2 or #3 rated QB and it's not even close. Vernon Hargraves #2 rated CB > #3 QB as well. The middle LBs I want will be there in the 2nd or even 3rd round: Scooby Wright or Tyler Matakevich. The top 2 CBs are pretty sick.

So really we could go Shaq Lawson, Vernon Hargraves or take Taylor Decker or Jack Concklin at #15. Who's the sure thing? I'd go on the defensive side of the ball because will an OT close in talent be there in mid-2nd that's similar to Deckor or Concklin? Ifedi = Concklin or Decker? More likely than a CB or DE with the talent of VH or Shaq I can tell you that much.

I'd be cool with VH or Lawson at #15.
Josh Doctson, WR TCU (or a Center) and Germain Ifedi, OT A&M in the 2nd
ILB, Scooby or Matakevich in the 3rd
Kevin Hogan in the 4th

I'd take this draft right now.

Not sure about Ifedi, but looks like a beast and I don't know who else could possibly come in and start?

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And for the record I am kind of feeling RG3. Not sure if it's the haymaker if he does well and all the picks we got. But really, the read option with RG3, Gurley and Tavon.

RG3 with no baggage of course.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And for the record I am kind of feeling RG3. Not sure if it's the haymaker if he does well and all the picks we got. But really, the read option with RG3, Gurley and Tavon.

RG3 with no baggage of course.
If it worked it would be ....

Avalanche-Of-Awesome-Animation.gif

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, SJ and Vita. I am warming-up to the notion of signing RG3 and giving him a shot. Then Mannion can continue to develop. Like I said, I am beginning to like the idea more and more.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, SJ and Vita. I am warming-up to the notion of signing RG3 and giving him a shot. Then Mannion can continue to develop. Like I said, I am beginning to like the idea more and more.
Well Retro, SJ, I made a huge stipulation.

If it works...

So, what are we willing to mortgage to take a flyer on RGIII?

Make no mistake, to take the flyer, it will come at a cost.

I have no idea what his market value is or his acquisition cost.

Any realistic thoughts?

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well he comes with a 16.5 million cap hit. So we would have to jettison some contracts. Start with the contracts of Cook and Britt and add Saffold's. Of course these probably are not going to happen so we will be back to finding a QB in the draft. That was short-lived.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keeping an eye on a need means we don't NEED a DT. DE? LB? CB? Why reach on offense when you have defensive studs all over the board. Shaq Lawson is a beast and the #3 rated DE I believe. I'd take him over the #2 or #3 rated QB and it's not even close. Vernon Hargraves #2 rated CB > #3 QB as well. The middle LBs I want will be there in the 2nd or even 3rd round: Scooby Wright or Tyler Matakevich. The top 2 CBs are pretty sick.

So really we could go Shaq Lawson, Vernon Hargraves or take Taylor Decker or Jack Concklin at #15. Who's the sure thing? I'd go on the defensive side of the ball because will an OT close in talent be there in mid-2nd that's similar to Deckor or Concklin? Ifedi = Concklin or Decker? More likely than a CB or DE with the talent of VH or Shaq I can tell you that much.

I'd be cool with VH or Lawson at #15.
Josh Doctson, WR TCU (or a Center) and Germain Ifedi, OT A&M in the 2nd
ILB, Scooby or Matakevich in the 3rd
Kevin Hogan in the 4th

I'd take this draft right now.

Not sure about Ifedi, but looks like a beast and I don't know who else could possibly come in and start?

Drafting an OT early would require the team to admit defeat on Robinson, and I'm not sure they're ready to do that. Plus, they already spent this year's fifth rounder on an OT (Battle) and they may want to evaluate him further before spending more at the position.

As far as QB, none of these guys are golden prospects. However, that doesn't mean the Rams aren't looking to make a splash and draft one. I'm trying to predict what the Rams will do, not suggest what I would prefer. I hate the idea of giving up picks to move up, unless it's for that "golden" prospect.

DT is a need from a depth perspective, which is likely the same as the CB situation (if the Rams retain at least 1 of their FA CBs). Free agency should clarify the gaps hopefully.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well he comes with a 16.5 million cap hit. So we would have to jettison some contracts. Start with the contracts of Cook and Britt and add Saffold's. Of course these probably are not going to happen so we will be back to finding a QB in the draft. That was short-lived.

I believe that most are predicting RG3 to be cut, but that is a big pill for the Skins to swallow (can't believe the Redskins guaranteed his ENTIRE contract). At that point, it's highest bidder and a smaller cap hit.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drafting an OT early would require the team to admit defeat on Robinson, and I'm not sure they're ready to do that. Plus, they already spent this year's fifth rounder on an OT (Battle) and they may want to evaluate him further before spending more at the position.

As far as QB, none of these guys are golden prospects. However, that doesn't mean the Rams aren't looking to make a splash and draft one. I'm trying to predict what the Rams will do, not suggest what I would prefer. I hate the idea of giving up picks to move up, unless it's for that "golden" prospect.

DT is a need from a depth perspective, which is likely the same as the CB situation (if the Rams retain at least 1 of their FA CBs). Free agency should clarify the gaps hopefully.

You are not understanding the concept of being deep at a position and adding competition to increase the level of play. Drafting a caliber starter or potential starter with those first 3 picks is essential. Not to mention flexibility. G Rob can play LG as well. You think Saffold is going to hold up? Being deep on the Oline would be a dam good thing. That means being deep with guys that can actually block, not just a position filler OT that MIGHT flash some talent.

Just like being deep at DE - Long ain't going to be around much longer. When we drafted Aaron Donald, we got BPA and we didn't really NEED a DT.. He didn't start right away, but he helped a 3 man rotation at DT and eventually won the job.

Last edited:

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Retro, SJ, I made a huge stipulation.

If it works...

So, what are we willing to mortgage to take a flyer on RGIII?

Make no mistake, to take the flyer, it will come at a cost.

I have no idea what his market value is or his acquisition cost.

Any realistic thoughts?

No idear my man. $12 million a year? 2 years? What was Foles' Contract again?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are not understanding the concept of being deep at a position. Drafting a caliber starter or potential starter with those first 3 picks is essential. Not to mention flexibility. G Rob can play LG as well. You think Saffold is going to hold up? Being deep on the Oline would be a dam good thing. That means being deep with guys that can actually block, not just a position filler OT that MIGHT flash some talent.

Just like being deep at DE - Long ain't going to be around much longer. When we drafted Aaron Donald, we got BPA and we didn't really NEED a DT.. He didn't start right away, but he helped a 3 man rotation at DT and eventually won the job.

I fully understand depth, but expecting the Rams to use their prime draft capital to draft depth over filling glaring gaps in a contract year for the head coach and the first year in a new city may not be a good bet.

Again, these aren't my wishes for this team, but what I see the Rams doing.