• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SJ's 2015-2016 NFL prospect chat

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if there if a LT at #15 overall? Jack Conklin, OT Michigan St?
Josh Doctson, WR TCU will probably not be there in the 2nd round.
Center?

1st, 2nd, 2nd?? I was thinking OT, WR, C.. Unless we want to try to grab some WRs later.

I do like Rashard Higgins, WR Colo St and Mike Thomas, WR So Miss a lot -- both are sleepers, but i'm not sure they can turn into a legit #1 WR in the NFL. Doctson looks more the part. But I wouldn't pissed with Higgins in the 3rd or 4th and Thomas in the 5th.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if there if a LT at #15 overall? Jack Conklin, OT Michigan St?
Josh Doctson, WR TCU will probably not be there in the 2nd round.
Center?

1st, 2nd, 2nd?? I was thinking OT, WR, C.. Unless we want to try to grab some WRs later.

I do like Rashard Higgins, WR Colo St and Mike Thomas, WR So Miss a lot -- both are sleepers, but i'm not sure they can turn into a legit #1 WR in the NFL. Doctson looks more the part. But I wouldn't pissed with Higgins in the 3rd or 4th and Thomas in the 5th.

Higgins and Thomas would be solid picks if the Rams choose to double-dip at receiver in the draft (or if they manage to sign someone like Jeffery in FA).

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shrine game was a bit of a tough watch yesterday. Doughty looked terrible, while undersized Vernon Adams lit it up. Some other guys that showed well were Victor Ochi (Edge, Stony Brook), Mike Caputo (DB, Wisconsin), Geronimo Allison (WR, Illinois), Daniel Lasco (RB, Cal), Justin Simmons (S, BC) and Cre'Von Leblanc (DB, Fla Atlantic).

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shrine game was a bit of a tough watch yesterday. Doughty looked terrible, while undersized Vernon Adams lit it up. Some other guys that showed well were Victor Ochi (Edge, Stony Brook), Mike Caputo (DB, Wisconsin), Geronimo Allison (WR, Illinois), Daniel Lasco (RB, Cal), Justin Simmons (S, BC) and Cre'Von Leblanc (DB, Fla Atlantic).

Very cool to hear that a kid from Stony Brook looked good!!! Their footbal team has been on the rise for a few years now. Since I live on Long Island, I hear about the program and players quite a bit...

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very cool to hear that a kid from Stony Brook looked good!!! Their footbal team has been on the rise for a few years now. Since I live on Long Island, I hear about the program and players quite a bit...

He was a problem for the LT consistently. Not sure how effective he is vs the run, but coming off the blindside, he's going to be all about pressuring the QB.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geronimo Allison (WR, Illinois) has some game. Not sure just how fast he is, but he's tall at around 6'4 and has pretty good hands.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eager to see the Senior Bowl tomorrow. There are a lot of good prospects in the game, along with Wentz and a lot of the second and third tier QBs. They always declare winners and losers during the practices, but let's see what they do in actual game play.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Wentz didn't have much of a chance to show. His receivers dropped some extremely catchable balls that stalled drives. The other QBs had their moments, but focused an awful lot on single reads and quick dump-offs. I thought Brissett and Driskel looked decent. Driskel may get a shot in the NFL after nearing killing his career at Florida. Dak got MVP, but he was bailed out by a dropped interception in the end zone where he stared down the receiver all the way. Some of these guys are woefully inexperienced in necessary abilities like looking off the safety and read progressions. Wentz is the most pro ready of the bunch.

Matakevich (Temple) was a tackling machine at ILB. He's not the fastest guy, but he reads the plays so well that he always seems in position. A LOT of the DTs were impressive, but I really like Sheldon Day (Notre Dame). He reminds a lot of Aaron Donald. They were playing him out of position at DE, but he was effective there as well.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have stated all along that this epidemic of WR's dropping catchable footballs is because these nutbags wear those damn gloves. Take those gloves off you freakin' wussies. You never saw this level of dropped passes back-in-the-day either in college or the pros because if a WR dropped a catchable pass on a consistent basis like our Cook and Britt, their prima dona asses would be out the door. We have a league of highly paid stiffs who can't consistently accomplish the job they are highly paid to do. The game has suffered because of it

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bob Grotz: Temple’s Matakevich showed character on and off field
AR-160209960.jpg
Temple linebacker Tyler Matakevich, who registered at least 100 tackles in each of his four seasons with the Owls, received the Outstanding Amateur Athlete Award at Monday’s Philadelphia Sports Writers Association banquet. TONY GUTIERREZ — THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
By Bob Grotz, Delaware County Daily Times

POSTED: 02/01/16, 10:07 PM EST | UPDATED: 20 SECS AGO

0 COMMENTS

CHERRY HILL, N.J. >> Tyler Matakevich could be the answer to an SAT question.

Choose the name that doesn’t quite fit in this group of college football Bronko Nagurski and Chuck Bednarik award winners:

Luke Kuechly, Ndamukong Suh, Terrell Suggs, Champ Bailey, Charles Woodson, Warren Sapp, Aaron Donald, Patrick Peterson, Tyrann Mathieu, Dan Connor, Dan Morgan, Julius Peppers, Tyler Matakevich.

On a football level, Matakevich belongs.

The Temple University linebacker recently won both prizes given annually to the top defensive players in the country, just as Suh did.

Matakevich also led the Owls into the national spotlight. The Owls went 10-4 and had a top-25 ranking most of the season largely because Matakevich was the only player in the country to lead his team in tackles in every … single … game.

Add the Philadelphia Sports Writers Association Outstanding Amateur Athlete Award to Matakevich’s album.

Did we mention he led the North team in tackles in the Senior Bowl this past weekend?

“It went really well,” Matakevich said. “All three Temple guys did great out there. Tavon (Young) definitely made his name known. Matt Ioannidis did up front and I think I did pretty well for myself, too.”

Matakevich (6-1, 233) doesn’t look as big as he’s listed. Not when you’re standing next to him. Those figures will be adjusted at the scouting combine when he and 349 or so others will be measured, weighed and timed.

That’s when draft fanatics who publish their fancy scouting guides will begin describing him as “undersized.”

Size didn’t matter at the Senior Bowl. Ultimately it will be the reason Matakevich doesn’t come off the board until the third day of the NFL draft. That’s rounds 4 through 7.

“We’ll find out in a few months,” Matakevich said. “They were talking about your strengths and stuff during the week. It was definitely fun to be out there with the best of the best and just run around.”

From the regular season into the bowl season, Matakevich has been among the best of the best in production.

You can see it on film and in the numbers that almost certainly will make the growing wave of NFL analytics geeks do a collective double-take.

Matakevich registered 100 or more tackles in each of four seasons. Just the durability is eye catching but there’s more.

Last year Matakevich racked up 138 tackles, including 4½ sacks, and 15 tackles for loss. He also had five mostly game-turning interceptions and five pass breakups. Put that in your spreadsheets and smoke it.

“They’re definitely going to see that,” Matakevich said. “You just have to really leave an impression and show them something that they want to see in this process. When you have those interviews at the combine you just have to show them who you are as a character on and off the field.”

Matakevich said an Eagles scout, not a coach, spoke with him at the Senior Bowl. He grins when asked what pro teams have shown interest.

“I’ll have no idea until after the combine,” Matakevich said.

For Matakevich, the Senior Bowl was kind of a tune-up for the next stop on the NFL meat market trail. And a time to say ‘what’s up’ to some of the players he went to war against, a list that included a host of Penn State players and the Notre Dame guy, Nick Martin, who happens to be the second-rated center on draft boards.

“It was cool playing against some of the guys we played against all year,” Matakevich said. “When you’re off the field and you’re talking about it there definitely are flashbacks to the games. But I saw him and all those Penn State guys, I’m training with a bunch of them so it’s just fun. All fun.”

With an outstanding combine Matakevich will improve his draft stock. A 40-yard dash time under the 4.7 he’s been running would do wonders for his signing bonus. The 40, however, isn’t a favorable baseline for a football player such as Matakevich.

With Matakevich, you need to zone in on the closing speed that includes knowledge of angles, the opposition and above all, instincts. That’s where Matakevich excels. The 3-cone drill, the shuttle and those other combine drills, just forget it.

For now, Matakevich is enjoying the process. In April he’ll almost certainly be using it as motivation to launch his pro career.

“I don’t pay attention to all of that stuff,” Matakevich said. “I mean whatever happens, will happen.”

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luke Kuechly, Ndamukong Suh, Terrell Suggs, Champ Bailey, Charles Woodson, Warren Sapp, Aaron Donald, Patrick Peterson, Tyrann Mathieu, Dan Connor, Dan Morgan, Julius Peppers, Tyler Matakevich.
That's some damned good company SE!

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So after watching the Superbowl, raise your hand if you think we should go ALL defense with our 1st rounder and 2 - 2nd rounders??

Ok maybe 1 offensive tackle and 2 defense?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Team is already all defense. Need a go-to receiver more than anything, and QB needs some hope for the future (unless Mannion surprises).

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Team is already all defense. Need a go-to receiver more than anything, and QB needs some hope for the future (unless Mannion surprises).

All we need is a game manager QB. #1 WR yes would be nice. But we need an OT bad if a good one is there. Look at Carolina's WRs

RamsFan88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,416.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Offense, offense and more offense. Unless the best MLB is available.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is my thought on this draft and many of the past few years.

The reason defenses are dominating is look at the draft boards... The Dline and defensive prospects out weigh the Oline by far. For every 3-4 good front 7 prospects there is 1 good Olineman. Do the math. Go back and look at the past few drafts. See the Olineman drafted and how many good defensive players were around them went later.

And these defensive prospects are faster, stronger athletes and the Olines cannot keep up. QBs are getting smoked left and right in this league. Even 6'5 250 Cam newton couldn't handle Von Miller and that front 7.

I know we have a lot of talent on defense. But in the top 45 picks, we have 3 picks. If we ANY questions about a possible offensive selection, we need to look at the player on defense we are passing on and where we can improve our D. Not to mention try to lock down a solid D for years to come.

Denver, Seattle have won the big game by dominating on defense.

We need to make sure we get 3 beasts with these top 3 picks in this draft. No "projects" with these picks. We need to make them count. 3 starters! No exceptions.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need to make sure we get 3 beasts with these top 3 picks in this draft. No "projects" with these picks. We need to make them count. 3 starters! No exceptions.

That's always the target, but who actually gets that done? 3 starters out of the first 3 picks for a team that is already .500ish is a HUGE accomplishment.

Like it or not, the Rams could very well look to make a splash with their return to LA, which could mean packaging two or more picks to move up for one of these QBs, none of which are likely to be day 1 starters.