• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SJ's 2015-2016 NFL prospect chat

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw him play Southern Miss.. His arm is a big ?

He threw a lot of floaters my man. He needs some zip on his passes. Other than that I thought he was fine.

If you had seen him a few years ago against Tennessee when Taggart was coaching there, he was awful. He was a mental midget that let things get to him easily. He threw 5 consecutive int's because it got in his head and you could see it on his face.
Since Brohm took over there, the guy has improved immensely. He doesn't let those types of mistakes get to him nearly as much as back then.
He's thrown some long passes throughout the year that I've seen where it was perfect. While granted, he's not the best QB in the draft, I don't think that it'd be a bad idea to take a flyer on him in the 3rd or possibly 4th round if we don't draft a QB with one of our earlier picks. I definitely think he'd be better than Mannion, not that there's a lot of expectations from Mannion to start with.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great thread, SJ76!

A couple of points on the earlier posts:

1) Totally agree about the QB's. IMO we should wait until the 3rd and grab the best available QB. There's plenty of tape on everybody and the combine always hypes what we already have seen on tape.

2) In the "give credit where credit is due department", Fisher and Snead did very well selecting Trumaine Johnson based on Fisher's son having gone to the same college as Johnson. Hargreaves from Florida hurt his stock with his performance against Michigan.

3) Based on our round 1 draft strategy, the best player available, it wouldn't surprise me and I would actually support, the selection of the injured Notre Dame linebacker, Jaylon Smith. Of course, this depends on his recovery time since he was injured a couple of days ago as opposed to Gurley's early season injury. I expect we will be picking in the low 20's based on a win this Sunday against SF. All the WR's and OT's that we would want will be gone. Smith could be groomed to take over at MLB for JL55 because of his talent or we could keep him at OLB.

Hargreaves, like so many young players from the ghetto in Florida KNOW that the Citrus, Peach, Outback bowl means nothing. He talked with his agent or agents right after the FSU game (last game of the season). This is my beef with college football - agents have full access to players after the end of the regular season. This is why you never know who will show up for these bowl games.

The UF Michigan citrus bowl? These top draft picks are thinking about money. We are talking about poor kids that are 20 here.

And this is why Bowl games cannot touch March Madness. Really - only 4 teams in college football have a shot at winning the championship. And this bowl season really kinda sucked. Clemson BAMA will be a good one, but these other games have been garbage. Anyone seen a dam good bowl game this year?

And I am all for a stud LB if he's healthy, but TCU WR Josh Doctson very well may be there at 12-16 slots. Doctson is that 6'3 stud WR that the Rams could really use. He's got speed, size, and good hands.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you had seen him a few years ago against Tennessee when Taggart was coaching there, he was awful. He was a mental midget that let things get to him easily. He threw 5 consecutive int's because it got in his head and you could see it on his face.
Since Brohm took over there, the guy has improved immensely. He doesn't let those types of mistakes get to him nearly as much as back then.
He's thrown some long passes throughout the year that I've seen where it was perfect. While granted, he's not the best QB in the draft, I don't think that it'd be a bad idea to take a flyer on him in the 3rd or possibly 4th round if we don't draft a QB with one of our earlier picks. I definitely think he'd be better than Mannion, not that there's a lot of expectations from Mannion to start with.

Interesting.. I didn't know Brohm was coaching. But think about what you just said and imagine Doughty playing SEC, ACC, or Big 10 defenses like Ohio St or Michigan... C-USA defenses are a bit behind the really good conferences. And the NFL is step above them so you know most likely a QB from C-USA is going to have to sit/learn 2-3 years.. When I watched that So Miss WKU C-USA championship game, what really stood out was some of the floaters I saw him throw - a defense like BAMA, Clemson, Florida, FSU, etc would have a field day on that guy IMO.

This was the first year in a LONG time I didn't see 1 QB dominate their own conference in all of college football. Not even in the Pac 12 where defenses are lax. Unless I missed a non-major conference and you always have to take a look at those too.

We will know more on Mannion next year. He needed to sit/learn. Mannion has a decent arm, but he was lacking speed/quickness all the way from hiking the ball, dropping back, and pulling the trigger. He looked a bit lost in preseason as far as decision making.

Still don't get why we didn't get Brett Hundley. :tsk: If Kevin Hogan is there in the 3rd round, I would be shocked and tempted.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting.. I didn't know Brohm was coaching. But think about what you just said and imagine Doughty playing SEC, ACC, or Big 10 defenses like Ohio St or Michigan... C-USA defenses are a bit behind the really good conferences. And the NFL is step above them so you know most likely a QB from C-USA is going to have to sit/learn 2-3 years.. When I watched that So Miss WKU C-USA championship game, what really stood out was some of the floaters I saw him throw - a defense like BAMA, Clemson, Florida, FSU, etc was have a field day on that guy IMO.

This was the first year in a LONG time I didn't see 1 QB dominate their own conference. Not even in the Pac 12 where defenses are lax. Unless I missed a non-major conference and you always have to take a look at those too.

We will know more on Mannion next year. He needed to sit/learn. Mannion has a decent arm, but he was lacking speed/quickness all the way from hiking the ball, dropping back, and pulling the trigger.

Still don't get why we didn't get Brett Hundley. :tsk:

Yeah, Brohm took over a couple of years ago after Bobby Petrino was one and done and went back to Louisville. WKU played 3 Power 5 teams this year, going 1-2 (in my opinion, got screwed over against Indiana). They held their own for a while as well against LSU down in Baton Rouge as well. But you really can't compare conferences when dealing with QB's though or else Joe Flacco Delaware wouldn't have gone in the first round at all since he came out of Delaware. I do agree that Doughty shouldn't start right off the bat. He would need a year or so to learn whatever the system will be (it worked well with Rodgers but then again, he learned from Favre). But teams like Bama, Clemson, etc... having a field day with him wouldn't surprise me because teams like that can even make solid QB's look like garbage (like Bama did to Cook the other night).

I do also agree that there's no elite QB's in this class. Of course, we could all be wrong and some of them could be in the HoF one day.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SJ said
And I am all for a stud LB if he's healthy, but TCU WR Josh Doctson very well may be there at 12-16 slots. Doctson is that 6'3 stud WR that the Rams could really use. He's got speed, size, and good hands.

So does that mean we will be picking 17th ?

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SJ said

So does that mean we will be picking 17th ?

Looks like we are picking 15th.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also from WKU, I'd take a look at their TE, Tyler Higbee in the middle rounds as well. He was hurt some this year but I think he's a guy that will do very well in the NFL.

The issue I see with Higbee is that he's only listed at 233 lbs (6'5). He isn't going to be much of an inline blocker at that weight, so he's essentially a big WR/HB. He also has some injury concerns (knee issues this year).

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like we are picking 15th.

Was just kidding SJ, you said slotted between 12-16, I just always assume with our luck we will be on the outside looking in no matter where he goes!

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see the OT's from Ohio St Taylor Decker and from Sparty Jack Conklin, along with TCU WR Doctson being there at #15. Since i'm not sure if Decker or Conklin can play LT in the NFL, I would probably go Doctson at this time.

Some "mocks" don't have Doctson in the 1st round at this time, but many of these mocks only have 2-3 WRs in the entire 1st round. History has shown us WRs tend to move up the board on draft day. Some mocks have Corey Coleman, WR Baylor above Doctson, but Coleman is 5'10 and I more interested in a bigger WR with speed.

Rashard Higgins, WR Colo St is another WR that got lost this year that could be a later WR pick as well.

Still a lot of time to go. After the combine in FEB we will see who gets all the hype. Goff continues to get hype.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far, the more I look at Jack Conklin the more I like him. The question will be does he do enough to warrant a 15th overall selection or will he drop to the 2nd round? If he does drop, I doubt it's to the 47th overall pick.

History has shown us that OT's and WR's tend to go quick in the past few years.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The issue I see with Higbee is that he's only listed at 233 lbs (6'5). He isn't going to be much of an inline blocker at that weight, so he's essentially a big WR/HB. He also has some injury concerns (knee issues this year).

Actually, Higbee is 6'6 (taller than all the TE's we currently have) and listed at 250 lbs (same as Kendricks and 4 lbs lighter than Cook and 9 lbs lighter than Harkey) on the numerous sites that I've seen. So that small amount of weight difference would be easy to overcome as a TE.

Yeah, he had a knee sprain against North Texas back in October. I believe he reaggravated it in the CUSA CCG and as a result, didn't play in the Miami Beach Bowl. He hasn't had any other injuries that I'm aware of so I'm sure he'll be more than fine by the time the combine rolls around. Plus the guy has some great hands, which would be very beneficial since we all know how great all of our TE's hands are.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, Higbee is 6'6 (taller than all the TE's we currently have) and listed at 250 lbs (same as Kendricks and 4 lbs lighter than Cook and 9 lbs lighter than Harkey) on the numerous sites that I've seen. So that small amount of weight difference would be easy to overcome as a TE.

Yeah, he had a knee sprain against North Texas back in October. I believe he reaggravated it in the CUSA CCG and as a result, didn't play in the Miami Beach Bowl. He hasn't had any other injuries that I'm aware of so I'm sure he'll be more than fine by the time the combine rolls around. Plus the guy has some great hands, which would be very beneficial since we all know how great all of our TE's hands are.

I see he is listed as 6'6, 250 on the WKY website. CBS and ESPN have him at 6'5, 233-234. Will have to see what he measures out as at the combine. Either way, he's not a blocking TE; he's a receiving weapon first and foremost. Not sure that's what this team needs. I would angle towards a blocking TE that can also catch with Gurley and this defense already in place.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt he lasts to #15.

No thanks anyway, we have Gaines coming back and you have to think either Jenkins or Johnson is staying. We need someone that can come in and immediately make an impact.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No thanks anyway, we have Gaines coming back and you have to think either Jenkins or Johnson is staying. We need someone that can come in and immediately make an impact.

Jenkins will be cheaper, but I hope we resign Trumaine. Dumbass FO should've done it at the beginning of the season. Gaines hopefully comes back healthy. Joyner needs to take the next step, but I am not sure he's anything but a nickel CB.

Draft a nickel CB in the 2nd round. :tsk: I can't complain too much. We've done pretty good on defense, but like I say.. We could've killed it.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see he is listed as 6'6, 250 on the WKY website. CBS and ESPN have him at 6'5, 233-234. Will have to see what he measures out as at the combine. Either way, he's not a blocking TE; he's a receiving weapon first and foremost. Not sure that's what this team needs. I would angle towards a blocking TE that can also catch with Gurley and this defense already in place.

ESPN also has him at 6'6 250: Tyler Higbee

With the way Cook has sabotaged drives with his drops, it definitely wouldn't hurt to have a TE that can actually catch for a change.

RamsFan88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,416.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fisher and Snead won't draft a tackle to replace Robinson. We have to accept that fact unfortunately. The offense needs a QB and #1 receiver. I like Doctson and Treadwell, they both have that look of being #1 types. Doctson might take some time to adjust to running NFL routes. I still like Goff, but I doubt he lasts or that the Rams draft a QB.

I'm just curious what they do in free agency. If they can make a play for Jeffrey, then I'd hope they would try and get a MLB or top tier TE.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately, the TE I really wanted is staying another year (Butt).