• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Simply put, Augusta messed up.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the record, the 2 guys who were tied for 2nd would have won about 20 of the last 25 green jackets with the score they posted. And the course is longer that ever.

That's what happens when you come out firing numbers like Jordan did. Raising the bar has always been good for any sport. It makes others around you step their game up. It's contagious. Tiger proved it can be done and JS just decided to do it as well.

The wetness/damp conditions helped for sure, but I didn't see any huge ball marks on greens as those darts hit the green. I don't recall even 1 ball in the fairway with mud on it. So it wasn't drenched.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't believe that Augusta challenges every aspect of your game? if so, I think you are wrong.

Monta.. You were there right? Tell us how wet those greens/conditions were please.. I haven't heard it was playing relatively easy but from a few Hooplans and a few media outlets.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You posted the list but now it doesn't matter to you?

Backing up your statements is not for everyone I guess.

Your OP made it sound like low scores at Augusta are a travesty and the organizers purposely set up the course to be easy. I posted the link that shows that low score are not that unusual.

Sounds to me that you are just looking to argue, facts be damned.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he's been on fire for his last 4 tournaments (2 wins, 2 seconds).

exactly... so that doesn't mean Augusta messed up... Dude has been unstoppable.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't recall so many low scores so that's why I agree that the set up could have been tougher.

Still,

1953 Hogan -14
1965 Nicklaus -17
1976 Floyd -17
1995 Crenshaw -14
2010 Mickelson -16

It's happened over the years.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say that, but clearly AN is not trying to challenge your driving accuracy to the same degree as the USGA....The recovery is taken away to a large degree @ the USO...you miss the FW, the intention of the set up is you should struggle to make par.

The intention of the rough @ AN is to make it harder to stop the ball on the greens...not really impede your progress.
Which, in its way asks much more of your game in my opinion. You have options and you have to create from the rough rather than just pitch out sideways and take your medicine like the U.S. Open. You look at thos severely undulating, lightening-fast greens and sloped fairways and you know it challenges every part of your game.

You ever notice it is the creative guys like Mickelson and not the plodders who always do well at Augusta? That should tell you something.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Monta.. You were there right? Tell us how wet those greens/conditions were please.. I haven't heard it was playing relatively easy but from a few Hooplans and a few media outlets.

Didn't seem wet to me at all out on the fairways and greens although I wsn't walking out there.. Some of the areas we walked were wet but the course was in fantastic shape as werethe greens. I think that accounted for some of the scoring.

I was only there Wednesday and Thursday and we had no rain. I tell you what, if you asked McIlroy on the 10th tee when he was plus 3 for the tournament how tough the course was playing, I bet he'd tell ya.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which, in its way asks much more of your game in my opinion. You have options and you have to create from the rough rather than just pitch out sideways and take your medicine like the U.S. Open. You look at thos severely undulating, lightening-fast greens and sloped fairways and you know it challenges every part of your game.

You ever notice it is the creative guys like Mickelson and not the plodders who always do well at Augusta? That should tell you something.

Some guys figure the angles and the funky lies out at AN...some guys never do...Mickelson used to draw the ball...when he got comfortable fading it...he started winning @ AN....in addition to his short game creativity.

We're saying the same thing...they challenge you in different ways, but the weather has a hand in it.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some guys figure the angles and the funky lies out at AN...some guys never do...Mickelson used to draw the ball...when he got comfortable fading it...he started winning @ AN....in addition to his short game creativity.

We're saying the same thing...they challenge you in different ways, but the weather has a hand in it.
As it does at every tournament on every course. It doesn't take away from the experience.

I love the Masters because the creative guys who go for it win there. At the U.S. Open, plodders like Hale irwin, Andy North and Lee Janzen are multiple winners and others like Tom Kite and Scott Simpson who win at the U.S. Open could not even hope to win the Masters.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As it does at every tournament on every course. It doesn't take away from the experience.

I love the Masters because the creative guys who go for it win there. At the U.S. Open, plodders like Hale irwin, Andy North and Lee Janzen are multiple winners and others like Tom Kite and Scott Simpson who win at the U.S. Open could not even hope to win the Masters.

Preaching to the choir!...I'm a Masters guy thru and thru...the USO is a different kind of challenge and also coveted. I know this sounds so cliche, but there's nothing like the Masters.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Curious to see if they try and overcompensate next year and make it like trying to chip onto the hood of a car

Yup. Personally it didn't bother me. I really enjoyed the tournament this year. It beats the hell out of what they did to it a few years ago when the greens were so hard there was about a 5 square foot area on a few they had to hit or they were screwed. There were a lot of complaints and they fixed it on the weekend IIRC. But I think the guys are going to pay for this next year.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think your overstating it a bit here. Kite had 9 top 5s at The Masters and was 2nd 3 times. Zach Johnson won there by playing conservatively and literally not going for anything. Weir, Immelman and Schwartzel are another 3 in just the past 12 years who've won there who aren't exactly known for their creative play. Faldo won it 3 times, Langer twice... same deal with them.... very conservative, methodical players...plodders, if you will. It also has a severely restricted field playing on the same course every year, unlike the other majors, that greatly favors experience (ie; local knowledge).

Last edited:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup. Personally it didn't bother me. I really enjoyed the tournament this year. It beats the hell out of what they did to it a few years ago when the greens were so hard there was about a 5 square foot area on a few they had to hit or they were screwed. There were a lot of complaints and they fixed it on the weekend IIRC. But I think the guys are going to pay for this next year.

Happenstance...if they get the same winter/spring conditions...I think the course will play similar...what you say could happen still...but idt AN will intently try to make scores higher, aside from maybe tucking the pins from the outset.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Preaching to the choir!...I'm a Masters guy thru and thru...the USO is a different kind of challenge and also coveted. I know this sounds so cliche, but there's nothing like the Masters.

Yup. And I now it shouldn't, but it bothers me when people criticize it because it cannot get any better than that tournament.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think your overstating it a bit here. Kite had 9 top 5s at The Masters and was 2nd 3 times. Zach Johnson won there by playing conservatively and literally not going for anything. Weir, Immelman and Schwartzel are another 3 in just the past 12 years who've won there who aren't exactly known for their creative play. Faldo won it 3 times, Langer twice... same deal with them.... very conservative, methodical players...plodders, if you will. It also has a severely restricted field playing on the same course every year, unlike the other majors, that greatly favors experience (ie; local knowledge).

Fair enough. We disagree, but your points are valid. Not sure any of those guys would win it now that they've "Tiger Proofed" it. The exception would be Johnson. Still can't believe he won.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup. And I now it shouldn't, but it bothers me when people criticize it because it cannot get any better than that tournament.

I criticize it because I love it. I love the Masters. When it comes to Augusta I am a traditionalist. I want it to be what it always has been. Conditions change from year to year,we all know this.

But the conditions this week were at the historical end of the spectrum and the scores proved it. And there is plenty of sentiment of there that believe Augusta could have done more to firm up the greens. (see below)

If you loved the play and the very receptive greens last week, God bless you. It's not hard to see why you did. Augusta is not nor do I ever want it to be some US Open hybrid that 2 under wins it. But at the same time you can not take her greatest weapon. Her firm fast greens are her sword, her shield, her teeth.

But last week she was stripped of all that and the players were fearless.

Masters greens viewed as soft, receptive this week | Masters

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If you get on the grounds at AN...you can enjoy yourself with $30 buckets in your pocket...you won't have any gifts, but you will eat and drink well for the day and leave with change. A beer & hot dog will run $20 at the PGA.

The one thing I really like about the USGA is playing the Open on truly public venues every now and then...Chambers Bay is a course on my travel radar.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I criticize it because I love it. I love the Masters. When it comes to Augusta I am a traditionalist. I want it to be what it always has been. Conditions change from year to year,we all know this.

But the conditions this week were at the historical end of the spectrum and the scores proved it. And there is plenty of sentiment of there that believe Augusta could have done more to firm up the greens. (see below)

If you loved the play and the very receptive greens last week, God bless you. It's not hard to see why you did. Augusta is not nor do I ever want it to be some US Open hybrid that 2 under wins it. But at the same time you can not take her greatest weapon. Her firm fast greens are her sword, her shield, her teeth.

But last week she was stripped of all that and the players were fearless.

Masters greens viewed as soft, receptive this week | Masters
Well said.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you get on the grounds at AN...you can enjoy yourself with $30 buckets in your pocket...you won't have any gifts, but you will eat and drink well for the day and leave with change. A beer & hot dog will run $20 at the PGA.

The one thing I really like about the USGA is playing the Open on truly public venues every now and then...Chambers Bay is a course on my travel radar.
Yep. I had two cokes and a pink lemonade and each were only a buck fifty as was the pimento cheese sandwich I had. The gear I bought, however, was quite another story. I knew going in though that I was going to spend some money.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saying the greens are a little more receptive is one thing and yeah it helps. Sorry I'm not buying anything Tiger says because he's tied for the record now and he's popping bones back in while playing these days..

But saying Augusta National messed up and made it easy for these guys is another.