• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Simply put, Augusta messed up.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unreal, how people are. Just unreal. Makes you almost wonder why more golfers didn't shoot record breaking scores.

For the record, the 2 guys who were tied for 2nd would have won about 20 of the last 25 green jackets with the score they posted. And the course is longer that ever.

Broncosballer32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the record, the 2 guys who were tied for 2nd would have won about 20 of the last 25 green jackets with the score they posted. And the course is longer that ever.

So what? They all play the same course. There is nothing unfair. I mean really. So what if the conditions were better for scoring?

I mean, wow.

Holy shit.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not possible to mess up the Masters. It is the sporting event of the year and they know it.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before I disagree...What did they mess up on?

Low scores for a major? I'm gathering.

If so, I agree that you want the course to offer significant resistance to scoring, but mother nature is to blame more than AN.

"Allowed"...subair can only do so much...Feb/Mar were pretty wet months (the most critical setup months)...plus it rained several days the week of the event. Ideal temps....the greens just were never going to get fiery.

They could've tucked the pins more on Thurs/Fri and let the 2nd cut grow a little more, that probably would've pushed the cut a little higher, but the winning score was going to be dbl digit under par regardless.

It was the year for scoring...every so often you're going to get one of those.

I love to see great players make birdies and eagles. If you just want to see them struggle, then watch the U.S. Open. The Masters back nine is designed for someone who is hitting it well to make a run on Sunday and it never fails that the guy who is playing the best wins. The Masters is magic.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what? They all play the same course. There is nothing unfair. I mean really. So what if the conditions were better for scoring?

I mean, wow.

Holy shit.

There is nothing funnier than watching someone get all worked about a point that nobody made.

Broncosballer32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is nothing funnier than watching someone get all worked about a point that nobody made.

No shit, that is the point I made. The fact that the scoring conditions were good means nothing. They still grow the rough more than they had.

Wow.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's face it Spieth was on fire this past weekend and was going to win regardless of the course conditions and it's not like every year you see -18 win it

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's face it Spieth was on fire this past weekend and was going to win regardless of the course conditions and it's not like every year you see -18 win it

he's been on fire for his last 4 tournaments (2 wins, 2 seconds).

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not taking anything away from Spieth, he would have won on any course condition you gave him.

But the fact is the famed Augusta greens were allowed to stay as soft as your favorite tee shirt coming out of the dryer. Look at the leader board. I will be shocked if the players this year don't have the highest birdie average of any Masters before.

Dustin had 3 eagles in one round, one of many Augusta records broken. And it was a bit sad to watch what the players did to one of my favorite all time holes #13 Azelia ( I purposely spell it this way, wife's name)

She was victimized this weekend. Not an ounce of fear from any golfer going for it in 2.
Kevin Na got an eagle on Friday at 13. And he could not stop smiling, he really could not believe he did it.

You could not ask for a better leader board and really enjoyed this years Masters. But tragedy is part of Golf's DNA, a birdie feast is not. And no course was better at holding that line than Augusta.

But somebody purposely or accidentally allowed Augusta to surrender, and it was wrong.

I disagree. I don't think anyone messed up and I enjoyed watching a lot of the Masters.

There have been many low scores over the years at Augusta and I think some folks are confusing this tournament with the U.S. Open. Augusta has never gone out of it's way to penalize the players by "creating" adverse conditions. If the weather is hot and dry then the greens are brutally fast and difficult to hold on approach, if the weather is wet as it was this year the greens are more receptive and the scores are lower.

For those who get a kick out of watching the tour pros flailing around like weekend hackers the U.S. Open is coming up fast and the USGA will be certain to let the rough grow to absurd length and thickness while drying the greens out as much as possible before cutting them twice and rolling them twice more.

I'll admit that I always enjoy watching the best players in the world struggle to make par at the Open, but that is not what the Masters is all about.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did anyone see any large ball marks/huge craters when those darts were flying in to the green?? NO

Did anyone see any drives off the tee that plugged? I don't think so.

Those greens were firm but probably a little damp/wet whatever. I have no clue of knowing, but I seriously doubt the greens were more than 1 degree more or less than usual on the stimp meter. I bet they are usually a 11-12? So maybe they were a 10.5?

That is still fast. 12 is unGodly fast.

lol...no it wasn't pitch n putt...what the greens missed imo was that extra 2' of rollout...especially on SUN.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love to see great players make birdies and eagles. If you just want to see them struggle, then watch the U.S. Open. The Masters back nine is designed for someone who is hitting it well to make a run on Sunday and it never fails that the guy who is playing the best wins. The Masters is magic.

I like seeing great players make shots...what AN does with their setup is allow you an escape...the objective is not to be the ultimate test in golf...AN and the R&A leave that stage to the USGA. I actually like the tough concept, to challenge every phase of their games...but I think at times they've gone overboard with extreme rough 5' off the green, and greens that were borderline unplayable fast.

The scores were low, but next year, weather could suck and -4 wins.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. I don't think anyone messed up and I enjoyed watching a lot of the Masters.

There have been many low scores over the years at Augusta and I think some folks are confusing this tournament with the U.S. Open. Augusta has never gone out of it's way to penalize the players by "creating" adverse conditions. If the weather is hot and dry then the greens are brutally fast and difficult to hold on approach, if the weather is wet as it was this year the greens are more receptive and the scores are lower.

For those who get a kick out of watching the tour pros flailing around like weekend hackers the U.S. Open is coming up fast and the USGA will be certain to let the rough grow to absurd length and thickness while drying the greens out as much as possible before cutting them twice and rolling them twice more.

I'll admit that I always enjoy watching the best players in the world struggle to make par at the Open, but that is not what the Masters is all about.

By all means, find those people who confuse the US open and Augusta a straighten them out. It has nothing to do with what I wrote.

My point is that in 2015 the average 72 hole score was 285.6. The third lowest in the history of the tournament.
And that the powers at Augusta were helpless to do anything about it because of a little rain Thursday and Friday night? Why is it that this year the rain had such a magical effect to be the sole cause of golfers shattering so many records in a state that is one of the highest rain fall totals in the country.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like seeing great players make shots...what AN does with their setup is allow you an escape...the objective is not to be the ultimate test in golf...AN and the R&A leave that stage to the USGA. I actually like the tough concept, to challenge every phase of their games...but I think at times they've gone overboard with extreme rough 5' off the green, and greens that were borderline unplayable fast.

The scores were low, but next year, weather could suck and -4 wins.

You don't believe that Augusta challenges every aspect of your game? if so, I think you are wrong.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By all means, find those people who confuse the US open and Augusta a straighten them out. It has nothing to do with what I wrote.

My point is that in 2015 the average 72 hole score was 285.6. The third lowest in the history of the tournament.
And that the powers at Augusta were helpless to do anything about it because of a little rain Thursday and Friday night? Why is it that this year the rain had such a magical effect to be the sole cause of golfers shattering so many records in a state that is one of the highest rain fall totals in the country.

Take a look at this list; List of Masters Tournament champions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are a lot of very low scores on it. What happened last week is not that unusual at all.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't believe that Augusta challenges every aspect of your game? if so, I think you are wrong.

I assumed he meant that Augusta is not borderline unfair/unplayable like many U.S. Open layouts have been over they years.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You put up the list, now go ahead and post all the scores that were lower the than the 2 guys who tied for 2nd this year.

Nope, doesn't matter much to me. You're the one who is all worked up at the low scores, maybe you should show us how unprecendented they were.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I didn't say that, but clearly AN is not trying to challenge your driving accuracy to the same degree as the USGA....The recovery is taken away to a large degree @ the USO...you miss the FW, the intention of the set up is you should struggle to make par.

The intention of the rough @ AN is to make it harder to stop the ball on the greens...not really impede your progress.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope, doesn't matter much to me. You're the one who is all worked up at the low scores, maybe you should show us how unprecendented they were.

You posted the list but now it doesn't matter to you?

Backing up your statements is not for everyone I guess.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think you underestimate the impact of the weather...it wasn't just the rain on Thurs & Fri...imo...take any golf course, and you get a lot of rainy weather over a 2 month period in winter with short daylight hours, it's not going to play firm and fast unless the conditions change (warmer, more wind) least a week before the tourney.

The course was soft when they got there...the rain they got pretty much ensured it was going to stay soft.