• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

simply hitting the qb wont stop read option

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a QB is running a read option, the flags will not be thrown as much if a defender decides to hit him even if he hands off.

The few times the true option is run in the NFL, the QB (or whoever is the initial carrier) usually gets blown up without the ball and there is no flag. Same with reverses, etc...

So basically it becomes open season on Qbs any time they run any play. As a fan of one of the teams with a less mobile QB, i would think you would be against seeing Eli planted every time he hands off the ball even if its not a play action pass. Cause thats basically what you are advocating.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a QB is running a read option, the flags will not be thrown as much if a defender decides to hit him even if he hands off.

The few times the true option is run in the NFL, the QB (or whoever is the initial carrier) usually gets blown up without the ball and there is no flag. Same with reverses, etc...

qbs are at a premium . you hit a read option qb just to rough him up then flags will fly soon after

but again that strategy has been tied and it has failed as my original post and link show

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So let me get this straight, BIS. You are saying that even tho a QB hands the ball off, he is fair game? Does this apply to every QB?

Really? Do you really think the league is going to allow that? They barely let the rushers touch the QB after they pass. Cmon, man, now you are starting to wade in the shit to defend a point.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read here that the Redskins only ran the read option 10% of the time, without using google I'd say the other teams also ran it 10% or less. It's simply a wrinkle to pull out when needed or like in the case of GB vs SF, when a team has no idea how to defend it you may keep running until they show they have a clue.

The idea that going after the QB and leaving yourself open for a big play in crunch time when the game is in balance is laughable. By all means ...lose the game just to get a hit on the QB.

The read option is here to stay for those teams with a QB that can run it, but mostly for when needed and to keep defenses on there toes. Nobody wants their QB to run it as a base option.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read here that the Redskins only ran the read option 10% of the time, without using google I'd say the other teams also ran it 10% or less. It's simply a wrinkle to pull out when needed or like in the case of GB vs SF, when a team has no idea how to defend it you may keep running until they show they have a clue.

The idea that going after the QB and leaving yourself open for a big play in crunch time when the game is in balance is laughable. By all means ...lose the game just to get a hit on the QB.

The read option is here to stay for those teams with a QB that can run it, but mostly for when needed and to keep defenses on there toes. Nobody wants their QB to run it as a base option.

you have a guy in wilson who can excel with that play

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes we do and when needed the Seahawks will pull the read option out, but by no means are the Seahawks using it as their base offense and nobody else is going use it as their base offense.
That's the flaw in the" kill the QB defense" with the game on the line or a big turning point in the game any defense going with clobber the QB is going be at a big disadvantage...OC are saying bring it, with a big grin on there face!

buried_in_snow

Capt Fucking Awesome
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So basically it becomes open season on Qbs any time they run any play. As a fan of one of the teams with a less mobile QB, i would think you would be against seeing Eli planted every time he hands off the ball even if its not a play action pass. Cause thats basically what you are advocating.

Except that's not what I said.

buried_in_snow

Capt Fucking Awesome
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
qbs are at a premium . you hit a read option qb just to rough him up then flags will fly soon after

but again that strategy has been tied and it has failed as my original post and link show

Well if a ref isn't going to allow a defender to take a step and hit the QB after he hands it off to the RB, just like if he were to throw it, then the game will become pathetic and even more like flag football.

I'm not saying a defender should be able to take multiple steps and hit the QB well after he hands it off. I'm talking about it being similar to a lateral or a true option or reverse.

buried_in_snow

Capt Fucking Awesome
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So let me get this straight, BIS. You are saying that even tho a QB hands the ball off, he is fair game? Does this apply to every QB?

Really? Do you really think the league is going to allow that? They barely let the rushers touch the QB after they pass. Cmon, man, now you are starting to wade in the shit to defend a point.

I'm talking about in a read option.

The time elapsed between getting hit after handing it off in a read option and handing it off in a "traditional" run play is vastly different.

You're trying to argue apples to oranges.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The whole point of the read offense is to turn it from 11 defenders vs. 10 offense players to 11 vs. 11 and trying to apply the "kill the QB" in a critical point in the game is playing right into the game plan.

That's all OC want in the first place.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also QB's could simply fall to the ground if they wish once they handed off, thus negating the whole kill the QB plan.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
really. So you think that if teams just start teeing off on QBs every time they drop back the NFL wont start tossing flags and suspending guys?? News flash, the name of the game is protect the players. And if teams just start teeing off on QBs because they thought it was a read option type play, expect some of your best defensive players to get fined to high heaven. And what you are missing is, he got hit LESS running the read ption than he did on traditional passing plays.

It's not when they drop back. It's when they run the read option, which is perfectly legal.

martinez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also QB's could simply fall to the ground if they wish once they handed off, thus negating the whole kill the QB plan.
lmao i like it. hand it off and hit the deck.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that blitz better be effective because if that pass goes off that's going to be big chunks of yardage given up.

correct if it is read . :agree:

Warpath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup, that's what I was talking about. Corner blitzing can help contain.

But it also opens defenses up to screens, quick screens and slants.

You can line up to stop one aspect and get beaten in another.

Warpath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus another thing they can do is start calling plays where RG3 is running to that side with a pitch man like Thompson a bit further out, corner then has to decide which to defend. And Thompson can take plays like that the distance.

bublooo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the same stuff they said about the wishbone and look how well that works.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the same stuff they said about the wishbone and look how well that works.

stupid comment :lame::blah::wacko:

i got this feeling big joe you are headed to being banned