• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

simply hitting the qb wont stop read option

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your right a QB can run read option and not get hurt..... but the potential is there.... as I stated in my previous post.

way to go out on a limb there :lame::bullshit:

the facts are you commented on this thread without reading the link provided and you are back pedalling with foolishness

i dont consider you a troll but you better step up your game if you dont want to get laughed right out of here

we come with facts . not some general lame stream media talking points :nod:

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know but that is always that been the argument with running QBs. it makes them prone to injury especially as they get older take Mike Vick for example other the broken leg he suffered when scrambling around he was pretty injury free. Once he came back and he was in his thirties he started to get injured a lot more... And I know the Oline has a lot to do with it. But he isnt the only Example. Steve Young had to leave too soon because of concussions.

Now your talking about installing plays that require these QBs to potentially take hits. Thats why I dont see it sticking around. It was a way to ease them into NFL life I will be surprised if by the end of the year Skins or Seattle have almost no read option plays called.

:wtf2: steve young played 18 seasons as a pro . so much for cutting his career short . same with tarkenton

troy aikman played 12 seasons and had his career shorted by concussions

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:wtf2: steve young played 18 seasons as a pro . so much for cutting his career short . same with tarkenton

troy aikman played 12 seasons and had his career shorted by concussions

Steve McNair
Elway
Cunningham
McNabb

These are just a short list of running QBs that had long careers. In fact, if I would compare RG3 to anyone, it would be Young or Elway, not Vick. Interestingly enough, Shanahan coached both young (at SF as the OC) and Elway.

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QBs get hurt whether they are running or sitting in the pocket. For every running QB you can name that has been injured, I can name a more prominent pocket QB that has been injured. Moreover, I can name running QBs that weren't always hurt. Everyone point to Vick. Vick and RG3 couldn't be further apart in QB styles. Vick is a run first QB. At the first sign of trouble, he is off. RG3 stays in there and tries to extend the play. SOmetimes too much. He has to learn to throw the ball away or get out of bounds. This is where he gets hit. But this is very learnable and he is very bright. The bottom line is that QBs will be hit either as a runner or as a pocket passer (usually from the blind side OUCH). To say that he is safer staying in the pocket is just plainly not accurate as history can show you.

I would much rather RG3 be out in the open with the ball and using his speed and athleticism to avoid hits than sitting in a pocket taking blind side hits.

Everyone on the field is at risk for injury. Since this is a Redskins board I will use them as an example. You trade up using two extra first and a second to get your Franchise QB. Since he won rookie of the Year it wouldnt be a far stretch to say that he might be come that Franchise QB. So that means at the end of his I believe 5 year contract he will be making a lot of money. Now read option the point is to open of the CB to get passing lanes but if they dont bite the QB can either run or screen to the back. Alot of times it means extra running plays for the QB... So lets say that in 5 years RG3 is making around Flacco money 20 million a year are you purposely as a HC call plays that will put your 20 mill dollar Franchise guy in danger of getting hit.... Probably not that is why I think the read option will eventually not be called. Considering most QBs dont fall under the whole running QB umbrella and coaches are not going to want to put their QBs in unneeded danger of getting hurt.

And i wasnt directly comparing RG3 to Vick I was stating that if you have a QB that runs a lot of the years the hits start to add up and it can lead to injury problems... in the case of Vick.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone on the field is at risk for injury. Since this is a Redskins board I will use them as an example. You trade up using two extra first and a second to get your Franchise QB. Since he won rookie of the Year it wouldnt be a far stretch to say that he might be come that Franchise QB. So that means at the end of his I believe 5 year contract he will be making a lot of money. Now read option the point is to open of the CB to get passing lanes but if they dont bite the QB can either run or screen to the back. Alot of times it means extra running plays for the QB... So lets say that in 5 years RG3 is making around Flacco money 20 million a year are you purposely as a HC call plays that will put your 20 mill dollar Franchise guy in danger of getting hit.... Probably not that is why I think the read option will eventually not be called. Considering most QBs dont fall under the whole running QB umbrella and coaches are not going to want to put their QBs in unneeded danger of getting hurt.

And i wasnt directly comparing RG3 to Vick I was stating that if you have a QB that runs a lot of the years the hits start to add up and it can lead to injury problems... in the case of Vick.

and we have shown that reasoning is a myth . Rg3 is no more at risk then a drop back pocket passer

now let go to his rushing att. 61 of his rushes were designed runs (qb draws included) 43 on scrambles 9 kneel downs and 7 qb sneaks . the redskins ran 1000 plays . (994) now you do the math
that comes out to .06% not a factor dude :whistle::boom::fish:

bublooo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The read option is the same as the run and shoot and wishbone a gimmick.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, now that the expert has spoken, it must be true. I'll bet you don't even know what the read option is.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what's the read option, big joe?

bublooo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not going thru this again I proved it last year I will be here to teach you later right now I have to teach Seattle posers a little

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe, I've got a prediction. You won't be here long. Wanna bet?

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not going thru this again I proved it last year I will be here to teach you later right now I have to teach Seattle posers a little

Well boys, there goes the neighborhood.

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The read option is the same as the run and shoot and wishbone a gimmick.

I think its more along the lines of the Wild Cat.... it worked the first year and then teams had defensive schemes for it and with in 3 years its almost completely out of the league. I believe it will be the same this year you will see it less and soon not at all.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think its more along the lines of the Wild Cat.... it worked the first year and then teams had defensive schemes for it and with in 3 years its almost completely out of the league. I believe it will be the same this year you will see it less and soon not at all.

Really? I bet your wrong. In fact, I bet more teams go to some variation of it this year. SF, WAS, SEA, NYJ, and Philly will all use it to some extent this year. I'm sure I'm missing some others.

They said the same thing about the forward pass and the west coast offense.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Here is the problem with that. When you line up in the Wildcat, teams KNOW its a wildcat look. The Read option PLAY is run out of one of our base formations. the Pistol. The whole point is, you never know if its a read option play, a simple hand off, or just a play action out of the pistol formation. Saying teams can scheme to shut down the read option is like saying you are going to game plan to stop a 34 flip dive... on every snap. Its just not logical. Although i hope DC's around the league play the game as if we will run a play that we ran less than 10% of the time on every play.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't have to stop the individual play it happens on. It just has to show teams that they are risking their franchise player by running it. The article cited just attacks the claim that it effects the option significantly on any given play, which is foolish to begin with. Watching RG3 get hit may not stop sham again from running it, but it will get him fired when his recklessness bites him in the ass.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't have to stop the individual play it happens on. It just has to show teams that they are risking their franchise player by running it. The article cited just attacks the claim that it effects the option significantly on any given play, which is foolish to begin with. Watching RG3 get hit may not stop sham again from running it, but it will get him fired when his recklessness bites him in the ass.

really. So you think that if teams just start teeing off on QBs every time they drop back the NFL wont start tossing flags and suspending guys?? News flash, the name of the game is protect the players. And if teams just start teeing off on QBs because they thought it was a read option type play, expect some of your best defensive players to get fined to high heaven. And what you are missing is, he got hit LESS running the read ption than he did on traditional passing plays.

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? I bet your wrong. In fact, I bet more teams go to some variation of it this year. SF, WAS, SEA, NYJ, and Philly will all use it to some extent this year. I'm sure I'm missing some others.

They said the same thing about the forward pass and the west coast offense.

Well that is your opinion and you maybe right. I think the only one who will really use it almost full time this year is San Fran because they have a good run game with Crabtree injured WR are a bit unknown and Kap is pretty big and strong and so far no injury history.

Seattle I think now that Wilson has had more time with the play book will lean away from it because frankly his arm is good enough and his WR are fast enough that they can run a more traditional down the field offense and be sucessful.

RG3 obviously with his knee season will probably start out with the playcalling being a little conservative until RG3 is totally 100 percent then we will see.

You might see some in the offense of phillly and NYJ if Smith Starts maybe Buff is Manuel starts.

#1BostonFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.40
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The read option will have value if you mix it in with other stuff. You can't just defend read option every play or the defense will be out of position in most cases, that's why it's tough to stop.

#1BostonFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.40
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only QB I think is tough enough and athletic enough to run a lot of read option is Cam Newton.