• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

simply hitting the qb wont stop read option

skins

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The interior d-line don't typically pull and run around the end, but if they do then you are correct. They typically are clogging the interior, and the OR works because the ends don't contain. If you engage and get your OL moving back or holding firm...then the option has to take a much longer route, and that is less successful in the NFL than College because everyone has speed in the NFL.

Shanny is a master at cuts and getting running lanes open, I fully admit that. That is key, but its hard to cut block when the lineman engages the OL or contains. The OR only works when the DL gets out of position or over aggressive. Same with a screen play.
the problem is that even if the end contains, the LB's and safeties...at least last season froze up for a second not knowing where the ball was going which gives the the receiver 1,2,3 steps whatever the case may be ahead of the defender. there's no perfect way to stop it. the only hope is if everyone stands their ground and stays in their assignments and TACKLES....which is easier said than done because of the multiple options that RG3 has with his speed.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listen, I'm no defensive coordinator, but it appears to me that the worst thing you can do against this offense is to get overly aggressive. You almost have to play contain defense. The key is to keep the middle clogged by the DL and ILBs filling the gaps and to keep your DEs and OLBs at home to string out any outside run until the safeties and CBs have a chance to get to the line. If any one part of your defense breaks their assignment of contain and breeches the line too aggressively, a hole will develop for which Morris's cutback ability will kill you. Its counter intuitive to a typical defender, but priority one must be to stay home and defend your turf.

martinez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well the skins dont run the read option that much so if teams want to take a guy out of their d by having him try to hit rg3 every play, im totally fine with that. morris will have 150 yards on them real quick and the skins will have 30 points real quick.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no kidding, they act like the shanahans sat on their thumbs all season and did nothing while defenses got all the answers :wtf2:

Exactly. No offense - but I really doubt if there are current or former NFL coaches posting on this forum. Whatever is being discussed here was probably analyzed to death months ago by the Redskins & other teams. The game is constantly evolving & I am sure that the Shanahans have more than a few wrinkles that they will introduce. The key is that they have the right parts to make this machine operate correctly (which is more important than schemes).

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if Wilson gets injured or RG3 blows his knee again we will see how long the read option is around. That and despite the recent trend the majority of QBs coming into the league are not RG3 Wilson or Kap so most teams are not going to run the read option as a primary offense.

1st off the redskins dont run the read option OFFENSE ,( it is a play ) as their main offense . it is the WCO , and they use the pistol formation

the read option PLAY will be around as long as you have players who can run it because you can pass out of it and limit the pass rush

i suggest you people stop listening to the national media and research the READ OPTION PLAY

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well the skins dont run the read option that much so if teams want to take a guy out of their d by having him try to hit rg3 every play, im totally fine with that. morris will have 150 yards on them real quick and the skins will have 30 points real quick.

Not to mention that if they are not careful certain defensive players will rack up penalties, fines & possible suspensions.

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the read option isn't the primary offense of the redskins...how many times are people going to get it wrong?

the redskins last season did 5-7 read option plays A GAME, out of an average of 65-70 offensive plays a game. :wtf2:

I didnt say it was but I did see alot more of it in Redskin, Seattle, and 49er games earlier in the season and then as the QBs grew and they opened up the play book you saw a lot less.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didnt say it was but I did see alot more of it in Redskin, Seattle, and 49er games earlier in the season and then as the QBs grew and they opened up the play book you saw a lot less.

i suggest you look at the article and look at how many times it was used in the superbowl :lame:

Warpath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still remains that RG3 was injured on a drop back pass. But people continue to go on about the read option plays as if that's why he was injured. People don't pay attention.

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i suggest you look at the article and look at how many times it was used in the superbowl :lame:

I didnt read the article I was commenting solely off the title of your thread. That hitting the QB wont stop the read option..... Thus my comment if Wilson or RG3 gets seriously injured running it, it will probably bring an end to those plays being called pretty quickly.

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still remains that RG3 was injured on a drop back pass. But people continue to go on about the read option plays as if that's why he was injured. People don't pay attention.

Final injury yes he planted wrong. but he got a concussion on a run play and he injured himself earlier in the Seattle game running as well.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
David, the concussion he got was on a pass play that he scrambled out of. His earlier injury against seattle was also a pass play that he actually threw the pass and came down on it wrong as he tried to stay in bounds. Warpath is correct, RG3 was never injured on a designed running play and the chances of him being injured on such a play is diminished as it is design for him to run with blockers and the sideline for him to use. When he scrambles, he is free wheeling it with no help.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didnt read the article I was commenting solely off the title of your thread. That hitting the QB wont stop the read option..... Thus my comment if Wilson or RG3 gets seriously injured running it, it will probably bring an end to those plays being called pretty quickly.

then you should have read it then you could comment on it with some sense . the films show that when it was tried the defense was chewed up .

next RG3 was never hurt on a read option play . all were scrambles from a conventional passing play

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
http:

//httr24-7.com/blog/a-crash-course-in-the-pistol-formation-west-coast-offense-and-rg3-as-a-passer/

here read this and learn about the read option

we run the WCO offense

the pistol is a formation

the read option is a play

lining up in the pistol formation doesnt mean it is a read option play the read option can be run from the shotgun formation

get it ?

your original assertion is that i am wrong and that the read option play will get the qb hurt

facts are RG3 wasnt hurt on any read option play . nor was kaep or wilson

now read the articles and learn

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
David, the concussion he got was on a pass play that he scrambled out of. His earlier injury against seattle was also a pass play that he actually threw the pass and came down on it wrong as he tried to stay in bounds. Warpath is correct, RG3 was never injured on a designed running play and the chances of him being injured on such a play is diminished as it is design for him to run with blockers and the sideline for him to use. When he scrambles, he is free wheeling it with no help.

I know but that is always that been the argument with running QBs. it makes them prone to injury especially as they get older take Mike Vick for example other the broken leg he suffered when scrambling around he was pretty injury free. Once he came back and he was in his thirties he started to get injured a lot more... And I know the Oline has a lot to do with it. But he isnt the only Example. Steve Young had to leave too soon because of concussions.

Now your talking about installing plays that require these QBs to potentially take hits. Thats why I dont see it sticking around. It was a way to ease them into NFL life I will be surprised if by the end of the year Skins or Seattle have almost no read option plays called.

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
http:

//httr24-7.com/blog/a-crash-course-in-the-pistol-formation-west-coast-offense-and-rg3-as-a-passer/

here read this and learn about the read option

we run the WCO offense

the pistol is a formation

the read option is a play

lining up in the pistol formation doesnt mean it is a read option play the read option can be run from the shotgun formation

get it ?

your original assertion is that i am wrong and that the read option play will get the qb hurt

facts are RG3 wasnt hurt on any read option play . nor was kaep or wilson

now read the articles and learn

Your right a QB can run read option and not get hurt..... but the potential is there.... as I stated in my previous post.

skins

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your right a QB can run read option and not get hurt..... but the potential is there.... as I stated in my previous post.
sure as much potential as taking a big sack and getting injured that way too.

Warpath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Potential to get injured in the pocket too. See Tom Brady.

Warpath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The handful of read option plays they do run keeps him cleaner in the pocket

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know but that is always that been the argument with running QBs. it makes them prone to injury especially as they get older take Mike Vick for example other the broken leg he suffered when scrambling around he was pretty injury free. Once he came back and he was in his thirties he started to get injured a lot more... And I know the Oline has a lot to do with it. But he isnt the only Example. Steve Young had to leave too soon because of concussions.

Now your talking about installing plays that require these QBs to potentially take hits. Thats why I dont see it sticking around. It was a way to ease them into NFL life I will be surprised if by the end of the year Skins or Seattle have almost no read option plays called.

QBs get hurt whether they are running or sitting in the pocket. For every running QB you can name that has been injured, I can name a more prominent pocket QB that has been injured. Moreover, I can name running QBs that weren't always hurt. Everyone point to Vick. Vick and RG3 couldn't be further apart in QB styles. Vick is a run first QB. At the first sign of trouble, he is off. RG3 stays in there and tries to extend the play. SOmetimes too much. He has to learn to throw the ball away or get out of bounds. This is where he gets hit. But this is very learnable and he is very bright. The bottom line is that QBs will be hit either as a runner or as a pocket passer (usually from the blind side OUCH). To say that he is safer staying in the pocket is just plainly not accurate as history can show you.

I would much rather RG3 be out in the open with the ball and using his speed and athleticism to avoid hits than sitting in a pocket taking blind side hits.