• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

simply hitting the qb wont stop read option

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the problem with that. When you line up in the Wildcat, teams KNOW its a wildcat look. The Read option PLAY is run out of one of our base formations. the Pistol. The whole point is, you never know if its a read option play, a simple hand off, or just a play action out of the pistol formation. Saying teams can scheme to shut down the read option is like saying you are going to game plan to stop a 34 flip dive... on every snap. Its just not logical. Although i hope DC's around the league play the game as if we will run a play that we ran less than 10% of the time on every play.

No but as I have said before most QB coming into the league and most QB that are starting do not suit the read option. Peyton Manning is never going to just keep the ball and run with it unless they only need a yard and thinks he can sneak one in.

Combined with what the previous poster said that the actual percentage of read option was about one percent of plays.

So if you are playing a team that uses read option it wouldnt be hard to watch game film see what formations they tend to run it out of and then form a defense for that week. Which essentially is what DCs are doing every week.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only QB I think is tough enough and athletic enough to run a lot of read option is Cam Newton.

It was less than 10% of our offensive plays. Thats like saying teams will scheme against the screen by dedicating a LB or DB to the RB out of the backfield to just tackle him the minute he steps out. It will work for about a hot minute, until the refs start flagging for it.

SaintGibbs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if you are playing a team that uses read option it wouldnt be hard to watch game film see what formations they tend to run it out of and then form a defense for that week. Which essentially is what DCs are doing every week.

OMG what has happened to reading comprehension!?!?!?!:gaah:

#1BostonFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.40
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was less than 10% of our offensive plays. Thats like saying teams will scheme against the screen by dedicating a LB or DB to the RB out of the backfield to just tackle him the minute he steps out. It will work for about a hot minute, until the refs start flagging for it.

Yeah it can be effective if used correctly. When the defense isn't ready.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah it can be effective if used correctly. When the defense isn't ready.

And that's the point. How can you be ready when it only comes at you less that 10% of the time and out of the same formation as a regular running play, a shotgun pass play, or a screen? You don't know its a read option until the QB pulls it out of the RB's gut and keeps it. So is it at that point you crash the DE? Guess what, too late.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Problem there is we run it out of the Pistol. Which is one of our BASE offensive formations. We also run a two deep stretch, a 34 dive and a 38 pitch out of this same formation. So yes, please crash both your DEs after the QB on a 28 or 27 pitch out of this formation. take them completely out of the play. Just to get a hit on the QB that will eventually draw flags. So even IF you stop the play and get the hit on the QB, we will still get the first down.

buried_in_snow

Capt Fucking Awesome
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hit him hard enough and it'll stop the read option.

Unless of course Cousins is going to run the read option?

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He did in the CLE game. Why not? He's a good athlete and can move pretty well. The success isn't about the QB being able to outrun the DE. The success is in confusing the DE and having himself taken out of the play. The play freezes the entire front 7. They can't commit until the see who ends up with the ball. This delay allows the OL to gain positioning and neutralizes the front 7.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As I have said, if this is the mindset, I see a lot of Unnecessary roughness flags flying and defensive players getting suspended this season. that or you will declare open season on all QBs in the NFL. And i doubt any one wants to see that.

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem there is we run it out of the Pistol. Which is one of our BASE offensive formations. We also run a two deep stretch, a 34 dive and a 38 pitch out of this same formation. So yes, please crash both your DEs after the QB on a 28 or 27 pitch out of this formation. take them completely out of the play. Just to get a hit on the QB that will eventually draw flags. So even IF you stop the play and get the hit on the QB, we will still get the first down.

Im no defensive coordinator but it would certainly depend on the quality of the other positions it would depend on how good your own defense is and what the strengths of your defense. But there are multiple things that can be done then just bum rushing the DE to the QB to help stop the read option.

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did in the CLE game. Why not? He's a good athlete and can move pretty well. The success isn't about the QB being able to outrun the DE. The success is in confusing the DE and having himself taken out of the play. The play freezes the entire front 7. They can't commit until the see who ends up with the ball. This delay allows the OL to gain positioning and neutralizes the front 7.

But if the QB is no threat to run with the ball or very little threat to run then your not running a read option your just running play action pass.

And your right Cousins is a fairly athletic QB as most are in this league now but as Athletic as Aaron Rodgers is I dont see him keeping on a play action and making a run for it.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im no defensive coordinator but it would certainly depend on the quality of the other positions it would depend on how good your own defense is and what the strengths of your defense. But there are multiple things that can be done then just bum rushing the DE to the QB to help stop the read option.

Who ever you send, it forces them to decide between hitting the QB and going after the RB. So sure at times they will guess right. But it causes a hesitation and a decision, and likely leaves a guy out of position to make a play on the ball. If simply plastering the QB every time worked, play action passing would have died out years ago. Because basically the read option is a play action pass with the OPTION for the QB to pull it down and run with it. How many teams have been able to shut down the play action pass??

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hopefully RG3 plays in the preseason game against you guys and you can see if that will work. Or you can just watch the Ravens/skins game from last year. They tried that and Morris had a field day against them. They crashed the DEs every time we lined up in the pistol and we just pitched it to morris who ran through the gaping hole that the DEs left.

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully RG3 plays in the preseason game against you guys and you can see if that will work. Or you can just watch the Ravens/skins game from last year. They tried that and Morris had a field day against them. They crashed the DEs every time we lined up in the pistol and we just pitched it to morris who ran through the gaping hole that the DEs left.

You dont have to run to the read option to beat the Bills defense .... You just need to run a play.... any would work.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometimes I know exactly how you feel.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The read option is the same as the run and shoot and wishbone a gimmick.

the run and shoot and the wishbone are offenses :lame:

the read option is a play :doh:

stay out of grown peoples discussions

you dont know what you are talking about

however i encourage you to read the above links and educate yourself

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Warpath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One effective thing defenses can do is corner blitz it, but that opens up other things.

buried_in_snow

Capt Fucking Awesome
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I have said, if this is the mindset, I see a lot of Unnecessary roughness flags flying and defensive players getting suspended this season. that or you will declare open season on all QBs in the NFL. And i doubt any one wants to see that.

If a QB is running a read option, the flags will not be thrown as much if a defender decides to hit him even if he hands off.

The few times the true option is run in the NFL, the QB (or whoever is the initial carrier) usually gets blown up without the ball and there is no flag. Same with reverses, etc...