• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SHOW ME THE MONEY

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the disconnect. This isn’t a kind of manipulation game where things come due. It’s similar to the national debt. You’ll have the ability to kick the can down the road in perpetuity. Even if it means you take the big salaries of 2016 and you’re paying for it 2022, you have the ability to take the big money of 2023 and end up paying the Piper in 2026 with the 2026 big tickets being paid in 2032. There are natural ebbs and flows with every franchise. Sometimes you find a cheap rookie starter and that becomes the year to pay someone from the past still on your cap. I feel bad for you guys who are fans of teams that don’t have people in their front office who are good at gaming this system. For you Cowboys fans, that’s seen in Jerry Jones recent comments about the Eagles selling out for a run in 2022. It’s just not true. They haven’t leveraged their future or ability to do anything in the future with the way they managed 2022.
Bags you’re wrong Howie and company are really good but at some point you have to pay the piper. Now it could be awhile I completely agree but eventually the debt must be paid.
You can kick the can down the road but you never game the system because the house always wins in the end.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bags you’re wrong Howie and company are really good but at some point you have to pay the piper. Now it could be awhile I completely agree but eventually the debt must be paid.
You can kick the can down the road but you never game the system because the house always wins in the end.
Howie is the house. He has structured it all in such a way where he takes advantage of the teams that can't handle their cap. AJ Brown, Slay, Reddick, Hargrave, Bradberry, Gardner-Johnson. These are all other GMs' picks that couldn't keep them and played at a very high level for the Eagles.

Now he has a team with playoff experience, young stars, and already is developing the replacements for Kelce and Cox. Freeing up more cap space at just the right time once again.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems like a successful team needs to significantly outperform the team's salary cap on offense. The Eagles and Seahawks did that this year with their QBs. Similar thing with the 49ers. Even with an extension Hurts will be cheap for the Eagles in 2023, and he won't be expensive in 2024. The Eagles have a window if they can stay healthy and make good personnel decisions.

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Howie is the house. He has structured it all in such a way where he takes advantage of the teams that can't handle their cap. AJ Brown, Slay, Reddick, Hargrave, Bradberry, Gardner-Johnson. These are all other GMs' picks that couldn't keep them and played at a very high level for the Eagles.

Now he has a team with playoff experience, young stars, and already is developing the replacements for Kelce and Cox. Freeing up more cap space at just the right time once again.
Yeah, this works until they get the wrong guys who just come to get paid. Trust me I know being a redskin fan and all. They’ve worked the cap so well and made fat Al haynesworth rich and got no return from him

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They signed Hargrave in 2020 after paying Wentz. No cap problem. Thanks for reminding me. More proof you are wrong about the Eagles and the Cap.
Oh, there will be. Wentz had a 66mil guarantee. Hurts will be more than double that.

Last edited:

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we are talking about most things in life, I’m on board with this premise but once you set conditions with this game you never have to pay that Piper. You just keep kicking it down the road. The most important piece is a culture among the people you build around in your core and give the biggest money to. You need guys that know they’re valued and trust the organization to take care of them as they restructure and restructure and restructure. I can’t remember how many times guys like Lane Johnson, Brandon Graham, and Fletcher Cox have renegotiated for them to either add to the group or assist a teammate in getting paid. Each restructure solidifies both sides of the relationship.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems like a successful team needs to significantly outperform the team's salary cap on offense. The Eagles and Seahawks did that this year with their QBs. Similar thing with the 49ers. Even with an extension Hurts will be cheap for the Eagles in 2023, and he won't be expensive in 2024. The Eagles have a window if they can stay healthy and make good personnel decisions.
Co-sign. The window will be open but in the NFL, your window is never open for long. That’s why February 12th hurt like a bitch. Rare that you can put together a group that is the best in the NFL. When it all comes together with schedule, health, etc…you have to close the deal. I’m never getting over LVII. They could win the next 4 (watch…some posters will use this to say I’m predicting 4 championships in a row for the Eagles) and that one would still stick in my craw.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems like there are two models. You have the Bengals/Eagles model and the Rams/Chiefs model. If your best 3-4 players are all dominant and you're able to get solid contributions from the back half of your roster making half of what normal role players make then you can also make it work.

Either way, you need to draft well. The draft really is the key.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we are talking about most things in life, I’m on board with this premise but once you set conditions with this game you never have to pay that Piper. You just keep kicking it down the road. The most important piece is a culture among the people you build around in your core and give the biggest money to. You need guys that know they’re valued and trust the organization to take care of them as they restructure and restructure and restructure. I can’t remember how many times guys like Lane Johnson, Brandon Graham, and Fletcher Cox have renegotiated for them to either add to the group or assist a teammate in getting paid. Each restructure solidifies both sides of the relationship.
Pay me now or pay me later to Quote an old Fram oil filter tagline but you will pay. You can beat the house short term but in the end the best you can hope for is break even and maybe the Eagles can do that but NO NFL TEAM HAS DONE IT LONG TERM. My money is on the house always wins in the end and contrary to what Nut says Howie is not the house. I do give him credit for being very good but he is not the house. We shall see long term how it works out.
:suds:

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pay me now or pay me later to Quote an old Fram oil filter tagline but you will pay. You can beat the house short term but in the end the best you can hope for is break even and maybe the Eagles can do that but NO NFL TEAM HAS DONE IT LONG TERM. My money is on the house always wins in the end and contrary to what Nut says Howie is not the house. I do give him credit for being very good but he is not the house. We shall see long term how it works out.
:suds:
It seems like we are talking past each other now. I’m not saying that great cap management guarantees sustained winning. It’s just one layer of the equation. Of course there are limits and you can’t sign everybody. But sports contracts work in most cases where you pay guys for past performance more so than future performance. This cap management takes that to a ridiculous level. For instance, the Eagles got all pro play from Brandon Brooks in 2015-16. He is still on their cap. It doesn’t matter the name. What matters is that they were able to keep that guy in the fold as long as he fit and then they were able to manipulate things where he didn’t keep them from being able to add when they needed to or cut a winning player because of being a cap casualty. The Eagles have those cap casualties but they generally aren’t solid performers still. They’re diminished or over 30 years old and on the precipice.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems like we are talking past each other now. I’m not saying that great cap management guarantees sustained winning. It’s just one layer of the equation. Of course there are limits and you can’t sign everybody. But sports contracts work in most cases where you pay guys for past performance more so than future performance. This cap management takes that to a ridiculous level. For instance, the Eagles got all pro play from Brandon Brooks in 2015-16. He is still on their cap. It doesn’t matter the name. What matters is that they were able to keep that guy in the fold as long as he fit and then they were able to manipulate things where he didn’t keep them from being able to add when they needed to or cut a winning player because of being a cap casualty. The Eagles have those cap casualties but they generally aren’t solid performers still. They’re diminished or over 30 years old and on the precipice.
You’re referring to the Belichik model of cutting them just before they are ready to expire. It works well if you’re absolutely cutthroat about it and have buy-in from the players knowing eventually it will happen to them. Like I said Howie is doing well at the game. Jerry did well at the game also smart enough to put money into an uncapped year then his fellow owners turned on him because they were jealous they did not think of it like he did. My point is it is unsustainable IMO like trying to time the stock market eventually you get bit in the butt and the house wins.
Howie is good at it enjoy the ride because it won’t last it never does that just sports also.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The difference was Kraft becoming the owner. They got aggressive and went for Parcells. I think you’re local to Philly so I’ll use this analogy. The Phillies didn’t win with Thome but with his signing and the new ball park, ownership finally signaled that they were serious about competing and winning. Pre Kraft you’re talking about one of the more unsuccessful franchises in the NFL from both a competitive stand point and fan support.
You're correct on both points