• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL Should Tua retire?

Should Tua retire?

• Yes

Votes: 38 64.4%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • It's his life, his decision

Votes: 15 25.4%
  • NFL is back tater salad

Votes: 4 6.8%

• Total voters

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His life his choice but at some point the scales must be looked at from a quality of life aspect that no player, team, company( NFL/ College) can be objective about IMO. The problem however is who gets to have the authority to end careers based on safety issues? All of us in our everyday life’s take risks some bigger than others but in the end unless doing something is illegal self endangerment in and of itself is a personal choice that one makes daily.

A simple health solution ( quitting/ retiring) with complex mechanisms to reach a 100% best case scenario every time has not been found except to never play the game therefore never taking a risk. If he was my son I would tell him walk away today. Easy to say but the reality is much more complicated.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 23,501.97
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he tries to play again, he absolutely should be using one of those extra helmet pads, and get drilled on how to slide only feet first.
He really should.....surprised he has not been wearing one.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,532.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did he hit Hamlin's chest or arm? The reports have said that Tua hit his head on Hamlin's chest, but it seems like it was more Hamlin's arm. I'm not sure he hit Hamlin's chest at all. It's concerning that anything can knock him out. This seems to be a normal NFL collision where the ball carrier puts his head down to gain the extra yard or two.

You are relaying a common misconception. A concussion does not need to be a direct hit to the head.

"That energy transfer is what happens when you get a concussion. A strong force hits your head, neck or body, moves through your skull into your brain and makes your brain shake or wiggle. This force can twist and damage the tiny nerves and blood vessels in your brain."

The neck also contains spinal fluid. It is like hydraulic fluid and pressure to that fluid in the neck is relayed to the brain......

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,684.26
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where is the, "Vegetable salad" option? Because that's what he'll be if he doesn't retire...

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Junior Seau, Dave Duerson, Aaron Hernandez, Ken Stabler...

Not just players, but stars in the NFL. They all had CTE. Concussions can lead to CTE.

I have one daughter, no sons. But if I had a boy, I would have told him no football.

Where I live in Delaware helmets aren't even required for motorcycles. Buncha damn fools.

armadillooutlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He should retire. Head injuries are no joke, and he's a young guy who is already set for life financially.
It would be sad to see his quality of life ruined by them.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The concussion issue for Tua is puzzling to me, since Samoans generally have a thicker skull and are largely immune to head trauma, a fact I learned from WWF announcer Vince McMahon in the 80's.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 23,501.97
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The concussion issue for Tua is puzzling to me, since Samoans generally have a thicker skull and are largely immune to head trauma, a fact I learned from WWF announcer Vince McMahon in the 80's.
Frustrated Here We Go GIF by Sesame Street

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,580.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting to me is Someone that has a history of bad concussions. He uses nothing to help combat against them.
See people with neck braces & that neck collar thing or even the Mark Kelso cover (as I call it)
Now I dont know what type of helmet he has vs. the others, but I hope it at least is one of the better ones for Concussions & not just picked one for comfort.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I knew him and he asked me, I’d lobby for him to hang it up.

He got the other concussions from his head hitting natural grass. And this one was from a skinny DBacks arm and shoulder. Not helmet to helmet or nasty collisions.

He’s been playing football most of his life. There’s nothing left to teach to minimize the risk. And he has so much life left to live.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a doctor with test results so I can't really add input but

I think for his long term sake he should highly consider it.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,684.26
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sir, there is smart assery allowed in here......LOL.

How ya been?
I’ve been awesome. Got a promotion at Work eight months ago so I work quite a bit more and don’t have a lot of time to post as much as I used to

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 23,501.97
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’ve been awesome. Got a promotion at Work eight months ago so I work quite a bit more and don’t have a lot of time to post as much as I used to
Nice. Congrats.

Football this weekend.....or you work the weekends?

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He really should.....surprised he has not been wearing one.

The guardian caps. I wouldnt be surprised if the team tells him he has to wear one whenever he comes back.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,053.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing with the guardian cap is would that really have made a huge difference with him on this particular concussion? I mean they help with impact but they aren't going to prevent his head snapping backward or sideways rapidly on a hit like this one which seems to be what caused this latest incident. The reason I say this is because that hit was not some bone cruncher, stop you in your tracks hit we often see. Hell, in slow mo, it even looked like Hamlin let up a bit to absorb Tua rather than hit Tua. And Tua was immediately concussed without even hitting his head on the ground. It makes me think the previous concussions and possibly something in there unique to him has made him more vulnerable and susceptible to this type of concussion. I'm just guessing and asking questions here because when I watched this, I saw nothing that would make me think equipment could have prevented it.
Again, the decision is his and his alone, imo. As bad as this may be visually, I'm not sure the league should mandate anything on the players behalf. I think that could lead down a bit of a slippery slope in a way. I do hope his family can talk to Tua and impress upon him their concerns and that medical people can find something that shows him why he's likely to have this happen again and it helps him make a decision that's best for his long term health. Beyond that, I guess we should wait and see how this plays out. One thing I think that should happen for sure is that regardless of being cleared or how healthy him or anybody thinks he is, he should maybe not play for about a month. I know he wants to help his team but he has to think big picture now.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,532.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Junior Seau, Dave Duerson, Aaron Hernandez, Ken Stabler...

Not just players, but stars in the NFL. They all had CTE. Concussions can lead to CTE.

I have one daughter, no sons. But if I had a boy, I would have told him no football.

Where I live in Delaware helmets aren't even required for motorcycles. Buncha damn fools.
I raced motocycles professionally. I would not drive to the end of the driveway without a helmet.
I may have had concussions - even with a helmet.
You should have seen the marks and scars on my helmet!

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,532.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting to me is Someone that has a history of bad concussions. He uses nothing to help combat against them.
See people with neck braces & that neck collar thing or even the Mark Kelso cover (as I call it)
Now I dont know what type of helmet he has vs. the others, but I hope it at least is one of the better ones for Concussions & not just picked one for comfort.
Helmets are better protection for skull fractures than they are for concussions.
The concussion occurs when the head is stopped suddenly and the brain keeps going and bounces off the skull.