• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL Should Tua retire?

Should Tua retire?

• Yes

Votes: 38 64.4%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • It's his life, his decision

Votes: 15 25.4%
  • NFL is back tater salad

Votes: 4 6.8%

• Total voters

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 23,501.97
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had a bunch of concussions in the 2022 season, none last season and 1 in his 2nd game this season.

What say you?

Vote and discuss.....last part is sort of important.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He really should. He needs to be saved from himself. Really someobody in his life needs to talk some sense into him. He already got his big contract. He doesn't need an extra 20 million or whatever.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He should, for his own well being and for his family. He, his team and his doctors should all realize the necessity of this.

If he tries to play again, he absolutely should be using one of those extra helmet pads, and get drilled on how to slide only feet first.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Voted maybe.

We arent privy to what his doctor is telling him. Most would depend on that. It's possible that he has a bigger issue than just concussions going on.

If it is just a regular concussion, no he should continue to play. The opportunity to set up his family for 3 or 4 generations at least is worth some risks.

People overstate the risks a lot of times because they just dont understand odds. Smoking for 10 years of your life doesn't guarantee lung cancer. It just increases the odds slightly. Concussions and issues later in life is the same thing. Go check out the NFL HOF ceremony sometime. Most guys dont have lifelong debilitating brain issues.

Xeliou66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say yes Tua should retire, it’s very alarming how many concussions and injuries he’s sustained. He should hang it up before he suffers permanent harm and his brain gets damaged.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. He had at least 4 concussions in 2022 - 3 of which were of the severity that he went rigid. He had the same thing last night. That is a major brain trauma.

In addition - and this is a rare case here - I think the NFL should step in. They need to show that they are serious about protecting players, and that includes from themselves. The NFL and NFLPA need to get together and have some kind of line drawn regarding number of concussions and being "eligible" to play.

Not only does that show they "care" about the players (in parentheses because I know they don't) they are protecting their bottom line. If they, the Dr's, the teams, let him go out there and he dies on the field, or becomes an invalid - they are going to be sued to the moon and back. His history is too damning, IMO.

While he is free to choose what he wants to pursue, that doesn't mean that the NFL has to allow him to play. They need to medically disqualify players when there is severe risk both to the player and to the league. I think this case warrants that.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,053.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's become a guy people are trying to talk off a ledge at this point or maybe like a junkie who's one dose shy of that final overdose. not sure what analogy to use, honestly.
So while I voted it's his life and his decision, obviously I think his family really needs to have an intervention and a serious discussion about making the "right" decision. He needs to understand that while he may recover and feel good in the present that A) Another one could be the end and B) the long term effects are very, very real. He has enough money in the bank to choose another path and live a comfortable and happy life watching his kids grow up. That's a billion times more important than the game.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,532.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People overstate the risks a lot of times because they just dont understand odds. Smoking for 10 years of your life doesn't guarantee lung cancer. It just increases the odds slightly. Concussions and issues later in life is the same thing.
Everybody in my family died of cigarette smoking - except me. I have never smoked.
Otherwise I mostly agree with you.

Life is like playing russian roulette - don't put too many rounds in the gun!

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His call, but if he doesn't there better not be any sob story articles about his steep decline after he finally does retire. He chose it at that point.

However, if his doctor would not give him a medical retirement out I can't say I wouldn't fuckup my brain for 124 million dollars. Who am I to judge if he won't either?

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everybody in my family died of cigarette smoking - except me. I have never smoked.
Otherwise I mostly agree with you.

Life is like playing russian roulette - don't put too many rounds in the gun!
Fiscally speaking I am doing my family a huge favor the more I load in there......

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,532.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. He had at least 4 concussions in 2022 - 3 of which were of the severity that he went rigid. He had the same thing last night. That is a major brain trauma.

In addition - and this is a rare case here - I think the NFL should step in. They need to show that they are serious about protecting players, and that includes from themselves. The NFL and NFLPA need to get together and have some kind of line drawn regarding number of concussions and being "eligible" to play.

Not only does that show they "care" about the players (in parentheses because I know they don't) they are protecting their bottom line. If they, the Dr's, the teams, let him go out there and he dies on the field, or becomes an invalid - they are going to be sued to the moon and back. His history is too damning, IMO.

While he is free to choose what he wants to pursue, that doesn't mean that the NFL has to allow him to play. They need to medically disqualify players when there is severe risk both to the player and to the league. I think this case warrants that.
If the NFL "steps in" there are cosequences.
Once the NFL takes control, they become responsible for the outcomes.
Example: They set the maximum number of concussions at 3 and a player has TBI after 2 concussions.
A player has 3 concussions as an amateur and has 1 as a pro........

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could argue that all NFL players should retire due to the heath risks ..but that would be a total overreaction with one exception..

Concussions ...they just open the door to potential life shattering health issues.

Another danger with Concussions ... they seem to make you susceptible to more concussions.
Like a boxer after a bad knockout ..they never seem to be the same after that. They have a glass jaw the rest of thier career.

It's a beautiful world out there Tua, .. retire and go see it in full health brother.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say yes Tua should retire, it’s very alarming how many concussions and injuries he’s sustained. He should hang it up before he suffers permanent harm and his brain gets damaged.
He’s already there. Based on the number of concussions he’s had already and the timing (one after another in close proximity) he’s likely already there. This is evident in the way he personally has responded to the brain trauma. 10-15 years from now his quality of life has a 99% chance to be seriously diminished.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don’t think the law suit stuff is going to be as prevalent anymore going forward. Players can’t claim they didn’t know the risks when they play today. This isn’t the 80s or 90s anymore. The science is out there.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the NFL "steps in" there are cosequences.
Once the NFL takes control, they become responsible for the outcomes.
Example: They set the maximum number of concussions at 3 and a player has TBI after 2 concussions.
A player has 3 concussions as an amateur and has 1 as a pro........
I don't disagree. It's not a panacea nor is it a 1-size fits all - but if you are the NFL - there are likely consequences outside of just the "known" factors of football but also allowing guys with a clear medical history of stepping onto the field.

It's not perfect, I agree - and there are likely way more issues than what I am clearly glancing over, but I also don't think it's something the NFL can ignore, either.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think the law suit stuff is going to be as prevalent anymore going forward. Players can’t claim they didn’t know the risks when they play today. This isn’t the 80s or 90s anymore. The science is out there.
Yeah - but I think this is a case that goes beyond just the "known" risk of playing football.

Here we have a guy that has 3 times gone into the fencing posture when knocked unconscious. This isn't just the old "Well, football is bad for the brain" kind of argument. This is "The Brain has clearly gone bad - but the NFL allows him to continue stepping on the field".

Is there a perfect answer? No. Of course not. But if I'm the NFL - these deeper injuries to the head warrant more discernment in terms of player eligibility.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did he hit Hamlin's chest or arm? The reports have said that Tua hit his head on Hamlin's chest, but it seems like it was more Hamlin's arm. I'm not sure he hit Hamlin's chest at all. It's concerning that anything can knock him out. This seems to be a normal NFL collision where the ball carrier puts his head down to gain the extra yard or two.

Screenshot_11.jpg

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 23,501.97
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ryan Clark said he had a lot more concussions than Tua.