• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should there be a shorter shot clock in CBB?

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think 30 seconds would be just fine. It rewards the defense for good play and also forces the offense to get to offensive business.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shot clock should have been reduced last season as opposed to the rule changes which led to the free throw machine that was the 13/14 season. It should be 28 seconds and let the boys play D.

I completely disagree. If the rules would have stayed in place we would be having real defense being played now and not a free throw contest. If you lower the shot clock but don't change the way defense is being played you're not opening up the offense you're just making it faster. That doesn't help the game and make it more watchable.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I completely disagree. If the rules would have stayed in place we would be having real defense being played now and not a free throw contest. If you lower the shot clock but don't change the way defense is being played you're not opening up the offense you're just making it faster. That doesn't help the game and make it more watchable.

I kinda of agree but not entirely.

It depends on how the shot clock is being utilized now. If a majority of teams were using all of the shot clock, then yes, I would agree that other changes would need to be made in order to compensate, otherwise you really would just be rushing the offenses.

but I think your claim is based on a faulty assumption. I don't think most teams are using all of the shot clock right now. For starters, I think it's rare to find a team that actually waits until the shot clock is down to 5 before they shoot. Then look at the teams that stand around and don't bother to run an offense for several seconds while everyone just stands around.

What most people don't realize is this can have a big impact of the really tough defensive teams, especially the ones that have a very frenetic defense. Most of those teams, are the ones that will bring the ball up and basically rest on offense. They use the first part of the shot clock to catch their breath, and get their legs back. Teams that do that will get gassed a lot sooner if the shot clock is dropped.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is true.

However, the arguments in favor of a 24 second shot in this article are all bologna. Saying everyone else does it does not explain why a change needs be made and/or would be beneficial for college basketball. The change that needs to be made is freedom of movement. If players aren't getting grabbed, held, and the game isn't as physical then the offense will pick up. Even though some teams stall and waste a lot of time off the shot clock there are teams that need to use the clock to take good shots.

Lowering the shot clock is going to cause teams to take bad shots, especially since the defense that is allowed is what is hindering offenses. I don't think there is a need to lower the shot clock until the game is officiated the way it was being officiated at the beginning of last season.

i cant stand most women's sports but i did watch a little bit of the tournament last yr. the pace of play and teams getting into their offense was nice to see. i think they should switch it to 30 and see how that goes before they make a drastic change like 24 seconds.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even though I grew up loving the big east style of play... My vote is for a 24 second shot clock to make it uniformed. Also widen the lanes like the NBA and Fiba have.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. It's fine how it is. A faster clock will just mean more bad shots.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i cant stand most women's sports but i did watch a little bit of the tournament last yr. the pace of play and teams getting into their offense was nice to see. i think they should switch it to 30 and see how that goes before they make a drastic change like 24 seconds.

I'd be completely fine with that. I've enjoyed watching women's basketball games and the shot clock rarely becomes a factor and there is a lot less standing around. I dont see anything wrong with a move to 30. I just didn't like the arguments Mark Few and the other coaches were making in favor of a move to 24.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be completely fine with that. I've enjoyed watching women's basketball games and the shot clock rarely becomes a factor and there is a lot less standing around. I dont see anything wrong with a move to 30. I just didn't like the arguments Mark Few and the other coaches were making in favor of a move to 24.

The jump to 24 is too big. I'd be in favor of changing to 30. Then revisit the issue in a few years to see if a move to 24 would be worthwhile.

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could be wrong, it has been a few years since I have been to a HS bball game, but I think HS in Iowa has the 10 seconds to cross half court and one player can have the ball as long as he wants as long as the ball is dribbling. There's also a time limit in the paint.

Is that changed or is it state-by-state?
Texas doesn't use shot clocks