• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should there be a shorter shot clock in CBB?

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN Insider - Coaches support a shorter shot clock - College Basketball - ESPN
By Jeff Goodman

Part 1 of 2

The NBA has had a 24-second shot clock since the 1950s. Women’s college basketball currently has a 30-second shot clock. Yet the men’s college game still has a 35-second shot clock, as it has since 1993 when it went from 45 seconds to 35.

However, with scoring dropping again (the national average is 67.78 points per game, down nearly four points from a season ago), the shot clock continues to be a hot-button topic. The NCAA has decided to experiment with a 30-second shot clock, along with a 4-foot restricted arc, in the postseason NIT this season.

“It will add to the number of possessions per game, but we don’t know exactly how many,” NCAA vice president of men’s basketball championships Dan Gavitt told me. “And we think it may help the pace of play and the flow of the game.”

We polled more than 450 college basketball coaches to get their thoughts on whether they want it to remain the same or be changed. Division I coaches of all varieties weighed in -- high-major, mid-major and low-major head coaches, as well as assistants.

Here are the results:

30-second clock -- 270 votes (59 percent)
35-second clock -- 137 votes (30 percent)
24-second clock -- 48 votes (10 percent)
28-second clock -- 4 votes (1 percent)
45-second clock -- 1 vote
Total votes: 460

So it’s clear that the coaches favor a change down to 30 seconds. Here’s what would need to happen next for the change to be implemented:

May 13-15: The 13-member Men’s Basketball Rules Committee, chaired by Belmont coach Rick Byrd, will meet at the NCAA office in Indianapolis. The committee features four D-I head coaches (Byrd, Akron’s Keith Dambrot, Fairfield’s Sydney Johnson and Long Island-Brooklyn’s Jack Perri) along with non-D-I head coaches, athletics directors and also NCAA secretary rules editor Art Hyland. This committee will receive feedback from coaches and also discuss potential rules changes with the men’s basketball selection committee and the NABC committee board.

June 24: If the rules committee decides to recommend the change to the shot clock, it goes in front of the Playing Rules Oversight Panel (known as PROP) during a conference call. This panel also takes into account legal and financial implications with any alteration. The panel is chaired by Mid-American Conference Commissioner Jon Steinbrecher, and includes a mix of conference commissioners and athletic directors. If the rule is passed by both the Men’s Basketball Rules Committee and the PROP, it can go into effect for next season.

Here are some comments from coaches on why they voted the way they did:

30-second shot clock

Kansas head coach Bill Self: “I think 24 is too big of a jump -- unless many other NBA rules are adopted.”

Kentucky head coach John Calipari: “Shot clock would be fine if they put it to 30. It would have no effect on me.”

Notre Dame head coach Mike Brey: “Simple. More possessions.”

Richmond head coach Chris Mooney: “Thirty-five and 24 are arbitrary numbers. We're conditioned to think of those as the options, but we should look at it more basically -- 30 seconds is half of a minute, 10 seconds to cross the time line, 30 seconds to shoot. NBA is 8 seconds to cross the time line, 24 seconds to shoot.”

Maine head coach Bob Walsh: “I don't think changing the shot clock is going to make the offense in the game better. It will create a few more possessions, but won't really open up the game. I think what needs to change to make the offense better is the coaching -- at all levels -- needs to be more creative. That being said, I don't understand why all levels of basketball in this country play with different rules. Why do kids grow up playing without a shot clock in some states, different 3-point lines, four quarters versus two halves, etc.? Always seemed odd to me. Standing alone my answer is 30 for now, but I think we need to work towards uniform rules and eventually get to 24 if that's what the NBA is doing.”

Oklahoma coach Lon Kruger: “We need to do whatever we can to make the game move faster for fan appeal. There’s more competition for fans' attention every year. We have to stay ahead of the curve.”

Rider assistant and former NBA player Donyell Marshall: “I think 30 seconds would be perfect. Thirty-five seconds is too long. Now this is coming from a former player who when I played, the shot clock was 45 seconds. I think 24 seconds would lead to too many bad shots. Thirty seconds is perfect. It would speed the game up, but players would still be able to pull it out and get a good shot.”

Montana State coach Brian Fish: “Thirty seconds would be perfect, but I would also like to see a 40-second shot clock added to all high school games. That way kids get a feel for it.”

Idaho State head coach Bill Evans: “I have mixed emotions. Those of us who have less talent would want to lengthen the clock. Shortening it plays right into the hands of the more talented. For excitement purposes, 30 would be fine. The game has changed, with the clock and the 3-point line. For me, the clock can be a real ally. I am not talking the four-corner thing, but just being really patient. I guess for basketball in general the 30-second clock would be fine. I guarantee it's better for the big boys, I guess in my league all things are supposed to be more equal anyway.”

24-second shot clock

Gonzaga head coach Mark Few: “It would make it uniform. I don’t know why we’re stuck at 35.”

Villanova head coach Jay Wright: “I think we should all have a 24-second shot. Consistent. It’s NBA and international. We should all learn to play the game the same way. The game is still the game. Everything you do to the game, everyone’s adjusted.”

Central Florida assistant Tim Thomas: “We should have a 24-second clock. We are the only country that doesn't have 24 seconds. There are [15-year-olds] in FIBA competition all over the world that are able to play with a 24-second shot clock. But we can't?”

South Florida head coach Orlando Antigua: “Coaching with the Dominican Republic national team, I really liked the 24-second shot clock. I think it should be uniform for all levels.”

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part 2 of 2

Keeping it at 35 seconds

SMU coach-in-waiting Tim Jankovich: “We like it right where it is. We think taking time down will decrease scoring and make for more bad shots -- and increase zones. The NBA can get away with it because of defensive rules.”

Hartford assistant Bill Dooley: “I would keep it as is. Obviously, the lower the shot clock, the more possessions in a game. This generally favors the team with more talent. The beauty of college basketball is the teams with lesser talent do have a chance to succeed. In addition, the longer shot clock allows more teams to play offensively rather than one-on-one isolations.”

Old Dominion head coach Jeff Jones: "I don't support any changes to the shot clock. A shorter clock only benefits a small percentage of teams. Moving closer towards the NBA is not something I want to see happen to collegiate basketball.”

Florida A&M assistant Bruce Martin: “Keep it as is. The shorter the clock, the more it will favor the more talented team. Keep March Madness exciting and give the underdog a chance to continue to have a chance for the upset. Keep coaching relevant and not become a players' league like the NBA.”

Lehigh head coach Brett Reed: “It might not be popular because everyone likes change, but keep it as is. I think the longer clock adds to diversity of offensive action in the game."

28-second shot clock

Utah coach Larry Krystkowiak: “Twenty-four is too fast, 30 is not enough of a change. Seven is my lucky number. Seven seconds less than 35 and four by seven. No brainer.”

Others

Dayton coach Archie Miller: “Regardless of what they do with the shot clock, they need to consult with the NBA. When you shrink the clock, there are specific defensive rules that must go into the college game [defensive 3 seconds]. Widen the lane and even extend the 3. If you shrink the shot clock and allow college defensive philosophies, I’m not sure how it helps offense or pace or scoring. I know that 30 seconds or 24 with zones, presses to zone [Louisville, Syracuse will hold teams in 30s]. What people don’t realize is the NBA defensive game is so intricate that positioning is everything because you can’t be certain places or touch players in areas with and without the ball. I think the freedom of movement and space on offense is what has to change in college, not shot clocks, etc. They need to restrict defenses from all of the smoke and mirrors. There are no smoke and mirrors in the NBA; it's straight space and players, with concepts. I’m in favor of a shorter clock, only if rules defensively are changed with it. Can’t have one without the other."

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A 35 second clock is dumb. Even HS they play at a lower shot clock.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id never heard of high schools having a shot clock until last night.

Never had thought anything odd about the 35 second clock in college either. Still don't.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A 35 second clock is dumb. Even HS they play at a lower shot clock.

I could be wrong, it has been a few years since I have been to a HS bball game, but I think HS in Iowa has the 10 seconds to cross half court and one player can have the ball as long as he wants as long as the ball is dribbling. There's also a time limit in the paint.

Is that changed or is it state-by-state?

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
About the topic, I wouldn't notice the difference.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hell yes. the game is too slow and coaches have too much control of the game. a high percentage of teams drain the first 20 seconds of every possession doing literally nothing. too many games that are unwatchable.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could be wrong, it has been a few years since I have been to a HS bball game, but I think HS in Iowa has the 10 seconds to cross half court and one player can have the ball as long as he wants as long as the ball is dribbling. There's also a time limit in the paint.

Is that changed or is it state-by-state?

Went to my cousins game last week. No shot clock.

But evidently Michigan is thinking about it. Somebody is gonna sell 500 or so expensive and useless pieces of equipment if they do.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Went to my cousins game last week. No shot clock.

But evidently Michigan is thinking about it. Somebody is gonna sell 500 or so expensive and useless pieces of equipment if they do.

There are only 8 states from what I know that use a shot clock at the HS level. My state being one of them

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hell yes. the game is too slow and coaches have too much control of the game. a high percentage of teams drain the first 20 seconds of every possession doing literally nothing. too many games that are unwatchable.

Yep. I remember Bilas and the crew were debating this last year on gameday and Bilas said MCBB is the slowest basketball game in the world

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are only 8 states from what I know that use a shot clock at the HS level. My state being one of them

I can think of One game where a shot clock would have came into play when I was in high school. The four corner shit was realllll annoying, but it seems like a lot of expense for something that isn't much of a factor.

No expense in changing the college rule, I just don't notice it being a big deal. Virginia maybe, but that's all that comes to mind.

What other states other than NY have it in HS?

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can think of One game where a shot clock would have came into play when I was in high school. The four corner shit was realllll annoying, but it seems like a lot of expense for something that isn't much of a factor.

No expense in changing the college rule, I just don't notice it being a big deal. Virginia maybe, but that's all that comes to mind.

What other states other than NY have it in HS?

Cali, Maryland, Massachusetts, North Dakota, South Dakota, Rhode Island, & Washington

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Dakotas surprise me.

Low Un-employment rates can get yer kids a shot clock I guess. Figured its be all East Coast n Cali.

YourFriendGannon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
28-second shot clock

Utah coach Larry Krystkowiak: “Twenty-four is too fast, 30 is not enough of a change. Seven is my lucky number. Seven seconds less than 35 and four by seven. No brainer.”

Yes.

YourFriendGannon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is it 28% of Mississippians voted for the 35 second clock on ESPN's Sportsnation poll? I'm glad though, saving Wisconsin (at 25%) the distinction of having the highest percentage. :L Kind of makes me hope the Badgers will trail by a few points with 37 seconds left in a game in the tournament this year, other team's ball. :L

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
28-30 seconds is the length of a shot clock I'd go for.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is true.

However, the arguments in favor of a 24 second shot in this article are all bologna. Saying everyone else does it does not explain why a change needs be made and/or would be beneficial for college basketball. The change that needs to be made is freedom of movement. If players aren't getting grabbed, held, and the game isn't as physical then the offense will pick up. Even though some teams stall and waste a lot of time off the shot clock there are teams that need to use the clock to take good shots.

Lowering the shot clock is going to cause teams to take bad shots, especially since the defense that is allowed is what is hindering offenses. I don't think there is a need to lower the shot clock until the game is officiated the way it was being officiated at the beginning of last season.

antone112

who gives a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,290.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shot clock should have been reduced last season as opposed to the rule changes which led to the free throw machine that was the 13/14 season. It should be 28 seconds and let the boys play D.