• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should the Patriots Draft a QB? What Round?

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on what I saw in pre-season, right now I'm sticking with my assessment that Etling is more likely the answer to who replaces Hoyer than Brady (can never tell for sure until you see them in real game situations, though...Brady was behind Friesz and Bishop his rookie year, after all).

I think there will be some interesting prospects available in the late 1st. Though none with the ceiling of a Lamar Jackson.

Oyyy stop with the Lamar Jackson will ya. I see no upside here at all, none.

So to answer the question. Yes the Pats should take a QB round 2 or 3 IMO.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huh? All I ever said about Jackson was that I was intrigued by the idea of drafting him and that he would definitely go in the 1st round (which he did). I posted about Jackson like maybe 3 or 4 times during the pre-draft process. Unless I've forgotten all my posts lamenting the fact that we didn't draft him or stating that he's going to be the next great QB?

I was just using him as a comparison that unlike this year, there's not a QB that projects in that range of the draft that has that high of a ceiling as a prospect...Jones, Greer, Lock, Stidham, whomever you like of that group...those guys may all come with higher floors than Jackson as prospects, but unquestionably lower ceilings, as well. Your opinion about his ability to reach that ceiling may very well be proven right in the long run, but the fact is it is still very high due to his athletic ability.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Care to offer some specifics?
As someone else noted, when a team offers a roster spot to a PS player, if the team he's currently with really wants to keep him, they'll either offer him the same promotion, or offer him the full roster pay to stay on their PS, and then it becomes the player's decision where he wants to go. So teams already have the opportunity to retain their PS players when another team swoops in.

And the rules requiring teams to pay a player and keep hm rostered for three weeks after signing him from another team's PS, and that they cannot sign a player from another team the week before they play that team already prevent teams from messing with other teams just to force their hands on PS players.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tom E. Curran said Bradylikes the kid and has taken a lot of time with him. No media is allowed in the dome so no one really knows how much time they spend together. McDaniels has been working with him to upgrade his arm strength and he showed decent accuracy in the preseason. If he's a possible future starter, Hoyer will be gone next year and Etling will be holding the Microsoft Tablet on the side.

That's always good. However, we don't even know if McDaniels will be back next season either

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's always good. However, we don't even know if McDaniels will be back next season either
You know, that's a valid point. While he may have pissed off the Colts, he left the door open for other teams and with the NFL being so offenseoriented, there has to be more than one team that would give him a shot. While he looks happy enough on the sideline, no one knows for sure what he was promised and if those promises were broken.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know, that's a valid point. While he may have pissed off the Colts, he left the door open for other teams and with the NFL being so offenseoriented, there has to be more than one team that would give him a shot. While he looks happy enough on the sideline, no one knows for sure what he was promised and if those promises were broken.

He's always looked happy on the sideline but that means nothing when a HC job open ups and the money is right. Things will be very interesting in NEW England next year