• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should the Patriots Draft a QB? What Round?

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Patriots have three picks in the first two rounds. #31, #34, #63. They have 7 picks overall

I think they need to find a QB in this draft. Hoyer is a serviceable back up for Tom Brady, but a serious injury to him doesn't leave anyone with a sense of confidence. Then again, shoving a rookie into the fire hasn't always been great for their careers. So let's assume that Brady gets through 2018 with minimal damage. Where should the Pats look for their future signal caller? First round? Fifth?

Round 2. If he's available, I kinda like this guy................he's been playing since he was a freshman

• WashingtonState_logo.gif
    Luke Falk, QB, Washington State
    Height: 6-3. Weight: 211. Arm: 32.13. Hand: 9.38.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.79.
    Projected Round (2018): 3-4.

2/10/18: Falk completed 67 percent of his passes in 2017 for 3,593 yards with 30 touchdowns and 13 interceptions. Some team sources are intrigued with Falk as they like his pocket-passing potential and accuracy.

In speaking with scouts, they say that Falk has an above-average arm. While his accuracy is his best strength, he does have issues seeing coverage and will throw into it. The same sources also label Falk as a thin-framed player who will need to add weight for the NFL. Additionally, Falk lacks escapability and mobility, but sources compared him to Redskins quarterback Kirk Cousins.

7/17/17: In 2016, Falk completed 70 percent of his passes for 4,468 yards with 38 touchdowns and 11 interceptions. He has a quality arm to hurt teams from the pocket, but his numbers are inflated by a college spread offense.

Falk also needs to work on moving his eyes and working through progressions rather than locking on to one receiver or one side of the field. Falk always operates out of the shotgun, so he will need to learn how to work under center and understand the associated footwork with taking three- and five-step drops. Falk will have to learn to call plays in the huddle, too. There are a number of quick throws and bubble screens that the Cougars run that won't translate to the NFL as well.

There were some media reports that Falk would enter the 2017 NFL Draft. He said those reports were false and eventually decided to return for his senior year. In 2015, Falk completed 69 percent of his passes for 4,561 yards with 38 touchdowns and eight interceptions. As a freshman, he completed 64 percent of his throw for 1,859 yards with 13 touchdowns and seven interceptions. Falk should continue to put together big stat lines playing in Mike Leach's offense.

2018 Patriots Draft Picks

1st round: #31 overall

2nd round: #34 overall (from San Francisco), #63 overall

3rd round: #95 overall

4th round: #137 overall (from Jabaal Sheard's departure)

6th round: #209 overall

7th round: #256 overall (from Blount’s departure

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luke Falk is one of the worst QB's in this draft. Got benched a couple of times this past year because of terrible play and that was in a very QB friendly system. He has one of the weakest arms as well limiting where he can put the football. I will do a backflip if the Patriots decide he is the future of their franchise.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luke Falk is one of the worst QB's in this draft. Got benched a couple of times this past year because of terrible play and that was in a very QB friendly system. He has one of the weakest arms as well limiting where he can put the football. I will do a backflip if the Patriots decide he is the future of their franchise.
I'vd watched a lot of this kid being up here in the NW. Kind of reminds me a little of a certain guy who went #199.

If he's there in the 4th I take a flyer assuming NE has already filled most of their needs by round 3.

Or we wait for BB to go find some DIV III QB in the late rounds.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'vd watched a lot of this kid being up here in the NW. Kind of reminds me a little of a certain guy who went #199.

If he's there in the 4th I take a flyer assuming NE has already filled most of their needs by round 3.

Or we wait for BB to go find some DIV III QB in the late rounds.

He doesn't have the same makeup of a Brady though. He was absolutely the worst QB down at Mobile when I was down there. Very soft spoken guy that just didn't have any kind of confidence. You would be better off with some of the other choices like Mike White or Kyle Lauletta.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He doesn't have the same makeup of a Brady though. He was absolutely the worst QB down at Mobile when I was down there. Very soft spoken guy that just didn't have any kind of confidence. You would be better off with some of the other choices like Mike White or Kyle Lauletta.

Well we should see them all at the combine as all received an invite. Lauletta is interesting but 4th round is a little high IMO. Having said that I wouldn't put it past BB to take him there? Lauletta's dad played at Navy. He is Brady like as he's good at letting routes develop and moves LBs with his eyes. But he has one of the weakest arms of the group.

Mike White I like as a project very late in the draft. Brady like in his lack of athleticism. But he has a weak arm as well.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm from the school of thought that a QB should be drafted pretty much every year. At least every other year.

I also like the thought of using a late 1 on a QB because of the availability of the 5th year contract option.

Hoyer's presence means they don't HAVE to draft a QB this year, and Brady being Brady means they don't HAVE to draft his replacement this year.

History shows they'll probably be looking for one somewhere in the late 2nd to late 4th range.

I'm partial to Logan Woodside on the lower end of that window.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw a mock had the Pats grabbing Lamar Jackson

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I admit I am very intrigued by this idea. He'll need an offense tailored to his strengths rather than adapting to what the Pats do now to get the best out of him, but with a couple of years to shadow Brady and a creative offensive mind like McD, he could be pretty amazing if he's willing to put the work in. I wouldn't throw my TV out the window if he was the pick at 31 (though I suspect I'll be vastly in the minority in that regard).

Beaker

Dragon's Bane
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6th round. Worked last time

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I admit I am very intrigued by this idea. He'll need an offense tailored to his strengths rather than adapting to what the Pats do now to get the best out of him, but with a couple of years to shadow Brady and a creative offensive mind like McD, he could be pretty amazing if he's willing to put the work in. I wouldn't throw my TV out the window if he was the pick at 31 (though I suspect I'll be vastly in the minority in that regard).
In an interview last season he stated he had worked really hard on his mechanics and fundamentals, mond you that was the offseason last year. He did look more like a pro QB this season and he saw that as a weakness he took upon himself to correct.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is what the Pats need to come to grips with. We ain't gonna get another Brady. As much as people like to hate on the guy his work ethic and dedication to his craft is unparalleled. We were blessed with that gift from the football gods.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha. I saw a mock where they're drafting me... or wait a minute for me to create and post that mock.

Mocks are like opinions that are like a$$4oles. Everyone has one.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pats first interview is Lamar Jackson at the combine. He's not expected to be drafted in the 1st Round. Consistent accuracy is the big question. Something Josh can fix??

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pats first interview is Lamar Jackson at the combine. He's not expected to be drafted in the 1st Round. Consistent accuracy is the big question. Something Josh can fix??
Wow that is a bit of a surprise but as I said earlier the kid spent an entire offseason working on his mechanics, and fundamentals, he saw a weakness in his game and attacked it. I think the Pats covet that type of effort.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jackson is a 1st round prospect all day. He's not a Day 1 starter, but too many teams need QB's (including teams like the Pats, Steelers, Saints, etc., that have QB's that are closer to the end than the beginning), and he's too talented not to go in the 1st.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jackson is a 1st round prospect all day. He's not a Day 1 starter, but too many teams need QB's (including teams like the Pats, Steelers, Saints, etc., that have QB's that are closer to the end than the beginning), and he's too talented not to go in the 1st.
I don't agree at all

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe if he bombs the interviews. Otherwise somebody will pull the trigger on him in the 1st. I'll be back for my crow in April if I'm wrong.