• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Should The Florida Panthers Relocate Somewhere Else?

Should The Florida Panthers Relocate Somewhere Else?

• Total voters

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While the Florida Panthers continue to seek help from Broward County officials in regards to annual rent and their share of the $250-million debt on their home arena, the BB&T Centre, Mayor Barbara Sharief tweeted Thursday that officials have hired a consultant to look into the feasibility of allowing the Panthers to get out of their lease and move the team elsewhere

As per La Presse, the Panthers have been asking for an $80-million rent reduction on their lease at the BB&T Center, with their share of the arena's debt funded by a $4.5 million a year "tourist tax." The funds from this tax, however, have already been set aside for the revitalization of beaches and tourism promotions.

Sharief was previously believed to be in favor of offering aid to the Panthers, but appears to have changed her tune, even if it means taking on the full sum of the arena's debt:

Sharief added the consultant "will tell us what's in the County's best interest to do" when the report is released in October.

It's worth noting the Panthers have just under $65 million committed in salary for the 2014-15 season, affirming earlier reports that general manager Dale Tallon was authorized to spend despite significant losses.

theScore

Last edited by a moderator:

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, they shouldn't move - see what happens when a team is a winner - hockey is strong in Tampa, if the Panthers have a good team, the fans will come - young fans don't know what a winner is like with the Panthers, so if you start winning, the fans will want to come - plain and simple

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, they shouldn't move - see what happens when a team is a winner - hockey is strong in Tampa, if the Panthers have a good team, the fans will come - young fans don't know what a winner is like with the Panthers, so if you start winning, the fans will want to come - plain and simple

true, but despite the no state income tax it is pulling teeth to get good free agents to south florida. suspect that most hockey boys dont like the heat or the humidity. And even most music tours dont come past central florida. the BBT is a pretty good arena to watch a game in but financially it is fucked ....

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
true, but despite the no state income tax it is pulling teeth to get good free agents to south florida. suspect that most hockey boys dont like the heat or the humidity. And even most music tours dont come past central florida. the BBT is a pretty good arena to watch a game in but financially it is fucked ....

I don't know what it is with some of these contracts that these people/teams sign with arenas - I see a bunch of arena deals in sports that are beyond dumb

One of the things they need to do is cater to the young fans - because the young fans will be the future - look how it's working in California, more and more young players are coming from there and there are more and more fans - little things like that will go a long way - the arena is really nice and the team can be really good, just need people to help reach out to younger people and get them interested in the game because it's always about the fans

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Location sucks too...it's not near a big city. Sort of like the Coyotes. Don't put it in the middle of nowhere in a market that's already poor.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Location sucks too...it's not near a big city. Sort of like the Coyotes. Don't put it in the middle of nowhere in a market that's already poor.

This too - one of the good things about Tampa's arena is that it's closer to the city, and a little easier for fans to go to

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the things they need to do is use see-through plexiglass, instead of putting up a big piece of cardboard, that doesn't allow their fan to see the game.

Panthers-broken-glass.jpg

I agree.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It is? Didn't they have a net operating loss as recently as last season?

mooger_35

my hatred for MY team clouds my judgement
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luongo-death-eyes.jpg

Luongo is not pleased with this poll

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Like when they went to the finals and the only reason people went to the game sis to throw plastic rats on the ice during play?

Good times.

Send 'em to Milwaukee.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is? Didn't they have a net operating loss as recently as last season?

Tampa is not a successful franchise and it bugs me very much when it is exalted as one. Successful franchises have fans that watch it on television. Tampa does not. Ergo, Tampa is not a successful hockey team. Period.

While were on it, neither is Anaheim.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tampa is not a successful franchise and it bugs me very much when it is exalted as one. Successful franchises have fans that watch it on television. Tampa does not. Ergo, Tampa is not a successful hockey team. Period.

While were on it, neither is Anaheim.

That is a double standard - we complain about fans not showing up to Panthers games, yet when people who go to Lightning games yet don't watch games on TV, are considered not a successful franchise?

I don't get why people can say a franchise is successful for one reason and then say another franchise isn't successful because of the same reason

Not to pick on you specifically because you're a Leafs fan, but the Leafs are successful because fans watch on TV? So the on-ice product doesn't mean shit?

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a franchise in florida is good since many hockey fans migrate that way, but they will never be local team fans they all bring their loyalty with them. only way to combat that is some long term success and with the current front office that aint happening.

you cant even see spring training south of jupiter anymore?? i imagine the panthers or lightning wont last long. one team is on the move for sure. nhl should contract anyway but that isnt going to ever happen.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a double standard - we complain about fans not showing up to Panthers games, yet when people who go to Lightning games yet don't watch games on TV, are considered not a successful franchise?

I don't get why people can say a franchise is successful for one reason and then say another franchise isn't successful because of the same reason

Not to pick on you specifically because you're a Leafs fan, but the Leafs are successful because fans watch on TV? So the on-ice product doesn't mean shit?

Not to put words in BBB's mouth, but I think a better term is "healthy/thriving" franchise, and not a successful one. Success is on the ice, but you can't argue that either FLA team is really healthy. That's seen in the financials, the TV numbers, merchandise sales. The Panthers have an excuse, Tampa really doesn't. If Tampa can't attract people to watch on TV with one of the best players in the world on their team, nothing will work.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The problem with that argument is that no one is watching Panthers games on TV either. They had the lowest cable TV audience in the league in 2012-13. Tampa Bay isn't doing "well" financially because they had better flesh and blood attendance than Florida, they're just doing better than Florida. And the two teams actually had very similar revenues in 2012-2013 anyway.

In the specific context of this particular discussion the Leafs are very successful. I mean, I don't think that anyone believes that the Leafs should/need to be relocated to another city.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We are speaking in the context of franchise viability, not on-ice results.

I've made the argument a thousand times, Tampa draws but ticket prices are cheaper than cheap and they have comparable TV numbers to Florida. It's tough to remain competitive financially in such a situation.