• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should the first round go back to best-of-five?

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been saying forever that it should. And I'm of the firm belief that whatever genius came up with the best-of-seven idea back in 2002 should have been fired on the spot.

With all the constant complaining from around the league that the season is too long, it should be a no-brainer.

As it stands right now, the west is extremely top-heavy and we could be looking at four first-round sweeps out there this year. San Antonio/Houston is the only matchup where I could see the least bit of drama.

Please, NBA, let's lessen the risk of injury and go back to best-of-five in the first round. Last year's Cavs should not have needed to win four games to prove they were better than the Celtics...

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There seems to be an overreaction regarding injury risk these days. It's a professional sport. There is going to be injury risk regardless of the number of games played. I think the frequency of games matters more and the NBA is doing a better job of spacing them out. There is less back-to-backs and 4-in-5. They get more time off during the All-Star break. They get plenty of rest between games during the playoffs. I don't think injury risk is a good reason to go back to best-of-5.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$$$

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean it depends on what you want.

If you want a higher chance of upsets then its best to go back to best of 5.

If you want the best teams to advance just stick to this

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean it depends on what you want.

If you want a higher chance of upsets then its best to go back to best of 5.

If you want the best teams to advance just stick to this

^^^THIS^^^

I don't see the NBA going back to 5 for the 1st round. For one, more games equals more money and at the end of the day, that's the whole point of any business. Plus, people are going to watch and attend the games. It's not like we're seeing half empty arena's for NBA playoff games.

Also, it's better for the league when the best teams advance. The fun of a first round upset by a lesser team tends to end pretty quickly when they are getting blown out in the 2nd round.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really care if it goes back to 5 or not but it should definately go back to playing games at the same time. Go back to one night off in the same city and 2 nights off for travel and if 4 games are on the same night put them of different channels so I can pick which one I'll watch like it used to be. This 3 or 4 nights between games has gotten ridiculous.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really care if it goes back to 5 or not but it should definately go back to playing games at the same time. Go back to one night off in the same city and 2 nights off for travel and if 4 games are on the same night put them of different channels so I can pick which one I'll watch like it used to be. This 3 or 4 nights between games has gotten ridiculous.

I agree with this but in the first round we don't usually see this issue. It is usually in the 2nd round or Conference Finals where we see one 3 day break between games

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah the breaks between games are a crock of shit.

But go back to 5?

I'm usually not much of an NBA guy compared to the other sports....but that clippers Spurs series last year was a blast.

That needed 7 games. It got 7 games.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with this but in the first round we don't usually see this issue. It is usually in the 2nd round or Conference Finals where we see one 3 day break between games

Can't agree. It's about getting games on TV. Look at the first round schedule from last year. Everyone will play Saturday and Sunday but Monday-Friday they'll only play 2 games per night and the rest are spread out. Used to be they'd play 3 or 4 games every night.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't agree. It's about getting games on TV. Look at the first round schedule from last year. Everyone will play Saturday and Sunday but Monday-Friday they'll only play 2 games per night and the rest are spread out. Used to be they'd play 3 or 4 games every night.

This is false. During the first week of the first round, the only day with 2 games on is Monday. Saturday and Sunday there are 4 games each, 2 games on Monday, 3 games on Tue-Fri, and 4 games on Saturday/Sunday again

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah the breaks between games are a crock of shit.

But go back to 5?

I'm usually not much of an NBA guy compared to the other sports....but that clippers Spurs series last year was a blast.

That needed 7 games. It got 7 games.

And had it been a 5 Game Series, the Spurs, not the Clippers, would have advanced.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And had it been a 5 Game Series, the Spurs, not the Clippers, would have advanced.

That's what I thought! Didn't mention it cuz I didn't know forsure.

7 is the way to go in my opinion. Blowouts are blowouts whether it's 3-0 or 4-0/4-1.

Need 7 for the great 6 and 7 game battles.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^THIS^^^

I don't see the NBA going back to 5 for the 1st round. For one, more games equals more money and at the end of the day, that's the whole point of any business. Plus, people are going to watch and attend the games. It's not like we're seeing half empty arena's for NBA playoff games.

Also, it's better for the league when the best teams advance. The fun of a first round upset by a lesser team tends to end pretty quickly when they are getting blown out in the 2nd round.

Most of you are forgetting that there is more reasoning behind this idea than just one.

We're going to be watching a lot of meaningless basketball out West come April this year. Would the Warriors really need four games to prove they're better than the Jazz? How about Thunder/Grizzlies, or Clippers/Mavs? Both Dallas and Memphis, respectively, are two teams past their respective primes and will get run off the court by the top-notch athletes of today's NBA.

Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love were getting banged up playing meaningless games against the Celtics.

The "money" excuse is the biggest beaten-to-death cop-out excuse of them all. Let's maintain quality basketball and keep our players healthy in the process.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah. It's fine like it is

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love were getting banged up playing meaningless games against the Celtics.

The "money" excuse is the biggest beaten-to-death cop-out excuse of them all. Let's maintain quality basketball and keep our players healthy in the process.

Not to mention we had to put up with all the LeBron nuthuggers/apologists complain that he wasn't getting enough help or uncontrollably praise him for doing so much with so little and carry the Cavs "like only LeBron could".
:lol:

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mavs and Grizz - Please prove me wrong this year and be comghtitive in the Playoffs. Don't see it, though.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of you are forgetting that there is more reasoning behind this idea than just one.

We're going to be watching a lot of meaningless basketball out West come April this year. Would the Warriors really need four games to prove they're better than the Jazz? How about Thunder/Grizzlies, or Clippers/Mavs? Both Dallas and Memphis, respectively, are two teams past their respective primes and will get run off the court by the top-notch athletes of today's NBA.

Unless the NBA went to a best of 3, Love and Irving injuries still would happen